PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag checklist for airline travel

mtillu
12-17-2004, 05:51 PM
We are travelling to India at the end of Jan. It is a 24-hour air travel (including layover). I have come up with a checklist of all the things that I will need for my DD (who will be 9.5 months by then) during the air travel. I bought a LE backpack for the organization. Below is my checklist. Is there anything that I am missing or I should carry extra in my checklist?

- Quilt/Blanket
- Cheerios
- Formula
- Diapers
- Wipes
- Regular toys
- Body lotion
- Desitin
- Baby Powder
- Jacket/Sweater
- Bottles
- Thermos for hot water (DD drinks warm milk only)
- 2-3 sets of extra clothes
- Baby food/cereal
- Disposable bibs
- Disposable bowls
- Disposable spoons
- Hand sanitizer
- Sippy cup
- Bottle for regular drinking water
- Wet wipes
- Tissue paper
- Insulated Ice pack bag

Thanks for ur help in advance.
Mamata

audball
12-17-2004, 06:35 PM
Wow! That's going to be quite a trip. In looking over your list, only a few things came to mind (we travel back and forth from the West Coast to the East, so I *HAD* a list at the ready, but now can't find it!):

Is the water for the formula? I was going to say, you could probably ditch the hot water, since the airlines will have hot water for tea and most concession stands in the airport have it available as well.

Consider packing the extra change of clothes in ziplocs. That way, if they are wet or soiled, you can contain them.

Maybe a new book or books (like the Richard Scarry ones, which have lots of details) would be good?

More snacks :)

Changing pad and/or disposable ones. The bathroom changing areas are really gross...you may even consider ditching the changing pad after the trip!

Aquaphor is a magic lotion/creme. I use it for chapped lips too, so we skip the lotion..

I usually "wrap" (in inexpensive wrapping paper or whatever paper is lying around) the toys...just makes it fun to open.

Maybe my brain will help me thing of something else later :)

ETA: Forgot to mention that if you can, try to have a separate (zipped) bag containing the wipes, hand sanitizer, diapers, and a plastic bag (that's what I forgot! Bring some empty plastic bags) for disposing of the diaper. That way you can do quick diaper changes without hunting for a bunch of different things in your diaper bag. Some people here have mentioned the Fleurville Escape Pod for this purpose, but you can use a large cosmetic bag for all that stuff too!

mtillu
12-18-2004, 06:06 PM
yup, water is for the formula. I will have to carry a thermos anyway to India for preparing formula while we are travelling or visiting relatives/friends. This is because she will be drinking boiled water only...no tap water in India. Major infections :(
So even if I get hot water at US/Europe airports, I will not give her the hot water at the Indian airport. so can't avoid the thermos! :(

good advice about plastic bags, ziploc bags! did not think about it at all. :)

Disposable changing pads...excellent idea. I have a changing pad (that comes with the backpack) but I did not think about gross changing areas at the airport.

thanks for the input. please let me know if u think of anything more.
Mamata

MichelleRC
12-18-2004, 08:04 PM
The only thing I can think of that is not already on the list is a portable DVD player. Ours was a lifesaver when we flew last year!

lmariana
12-19-2004, 12:06 PM
This is totally a personal choice, but I always travel with Benedryl. On one flight we took Gabe wouldn't sleep, eat, play, watch a video, or do anything or than SCREAM. After about 30 minutes of screaming, I dispensed the Benedryl, and he was asleep within 15 minutes.

I personally need this because I get nervous enough when I fly, let alone having my nerves frazzled by my poor baby who is obviously really upset and I can't soothe.

Just a thought!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

amyek
12-28-2004, 11:04 PM
I flew to Vienna with an 18 month old and your list looks great. I used Huggies Overnight diapers as extra protection on the plane. Changing a baby in an airplane bathroom is hard! I also packed some anti-bacterial wipes. They were great for wiping down anything. Make sure you have an extra shirt for yourself in case DD spills or spits on you too.

Amy K.
DS 10/12/02
DS due 01/19/05

jesseandgrace
12-29-2004, 07:23 PM
Are you still planning on going?