PDA

View Full Version : Need bag with insane organization

firsttimemommy
12-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Well, here I am - former owner of babybags Yahoo group and mod for DiaperBagDiscounts and I need diaper bag help!!!! LOL

I have noticed lately I am carrying a little more (prob b/c with the holidays we are gone for longer periods at a time) and am getting really frustrated trying to cram everything I need into my Marsupial and then having to pull out a ton of stuff to get to the bottom (where the item I need inevitably is). I need a bag with LOADS of organization. Pockets, pockets, pockets, - paci pocket, pen pocket, bottle pockets, you name it. I don't want it to be monstrous (Not going on a 3 day hike or anything). And I realize I'll never have the style and sleekness of my Marupial with the larger bags, but I don't want to carry a geeky bag either.

So should I look at:
Timbuk 2?
Sherpa?
LE backpack or DIA?

Ronda
Proud Mommy to Jenna Leigh 1/03 and Jake 4/04

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

audball
12-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I think this is the reason why I change bags all the time - depending on what I'm bringing, the different bags have different organizational advantages....of course, DH doesn't think that's an appropriate justification (haha!)!

I can't speak about the Sherpa and the LEs, but I know that my Timbuk2 Medium Messenger is a little too big to feel really organized with the small stuff. With big trips, the blankets, toys, books, all make for a firm hold on everything. Without all the gear, everything seems to float around. OTOH, with two young ones in diapers, I would think that maybe that would be the space you would need!

The small Messenger would be my bet if you don't lug around a lot of stuff. But it is VERY small compared to the Medium. I don't know why they made such a differential between the two bags, but the small to me looks like a big/medium purse! Things wouldn't be swimming in the interior though.

The one thing that makes life so easy with the Timbuk2s is the fact that the flap over the bag can be opened completely out of your way. You can see everything from the top. I have found the strap a little challenging to adjust when the medium bag is really full and on the heavy side. Chrome bags (in SF, www.chromebags.com) makes cool messengers with a real seat belt clip strap. I tried them out in the bike store and they are cool. DH would commit me if I bought another bag, but they may be worth checking out. Cool urban look too.

In both cases, I would consider getting either an escape pod or some other diaper station system and a lot of those Timbuk2 clear accessory pouches. Those have saved my life! They are color coded by size so it makes things easier to figure out. And there is a great sale at Sierra Trading Post (see an earlier post :)!).

newmomto1
12-21-2004, 10:58 AM
I recently got a LE Large Tailored Tote (in black)...

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_47583_100006_78453_5:view=-1,00.html?sid=8030164753476114020&CM_MERCH=SRCH

Yes, it's a pretty big bag, but somehow I don't feel like it's "monsterous" (JMO)

It is the most organized bag I have ever seen!
3 totally seperate zippered compartments...& lots of pockets in every compartment!
There is also a great little "hidden" pocket for cell phone, keys, etc that is very easy access (you don't have to open up the bag).
I think it looks great too!

The only thing I do not care for are the straps (wish they were longer).
I AM able to carry it on my shoulder easily, unless I have a bulky coat on....then it's a problem.
I know there have been lots of reviews of this bag here.

I must have some real packing issues...I can *easily* load up this bag FULL if I am going to be away all day. I have heard others say they used this bag for an entire weekend. I do tend to be an overpacker :P

BTW...I have used this bag without totally filling it & it worked & looked great too.

HTH, good luck!!

audball
12-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I forgot that I had this bag very briefly from OSA:
http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27211/123757/117.html

It had an insane number of pockets, but it was pretty big (length-wise) - and could get bigger! Someone here posted recently about getting this in the faux black suede and liking it. Particularly at it's new sale price! But check out the real life photo on the model (of course, thin as a rail and about 8 feet tall!)...it seems quite long...

bubbaray
12-21-2004, 11:45 AM
What about a Skip Hop? Its the most organized bag I have. Or an Ameribag Tote? I find it to be pretty organized too (and VERY light)

I have a T2 Medium messenger, Small messenger and Metro Mini. While I love T2 bags, I wouldn't say they are organized at all.

The LE Backpack is HUGE -- definitely qualifies as monstrous. The DIA is huge too (but very well organized). And, FYI, the T2 Medium messenger is huge -- I could fit my 8m DD in it!

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

firsttimemommy
12-21-2004, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I already have a Skip Hop and LOVE IT - you are right Melissa - great organization! I just need something to hold more cr*p!

I think I will pass on the t2's - like the concept, but dont' want to spend the money to buy additional organizing bags (although I LOVE that idea!)

I actually am trying to order the OSA bag - thanks for the recommendation!!! For the price you can't beat it and it really looks like what I need. But it won't accept my coupon code so waiting on customer service to respond.

I am actually thinking of the LE diaper bag backpack also since it is on sale - I know it is huge, but there are some occasions I might need huge. It it turns out to be monstrous instead of just huge, then I can return it to Sears :) LOL

The LE Large Tailored Tote is really nice looking, but I think the other two are prob what I am leaning towards for what I need to carry :)

Thanks so much again!!!!
Ronda

"If you live to be 100, I want to live to be 100 minus one day, so I never have to live without you" ~ Winnie the Pooh

priscilla73
12-21-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey Ronda

What about the Ellington In Flight Tote? Or the Large Bebe T&L?

cchavez
12-21-2004, 12:51 PM
I have the LE backpack....actually ordered it a few years ago so I don't know if the organization has improved. While it is huge...there is VERY little organization. It is great for trips to the park though.....

lmariana
12-21-2004, 12:53 PM
Shame on you Ronda, you should know all the diaper bags in the world by now! ;)

The new style T&L Large Bebe bag is awesome. It has lots of interior pockets, almost identical to the Marsupial, but with more depth and less structure. You still have an adjustable strap and some outside organization, not to mention all those pretty fabrics to chose from!

The Baby Sherpa and the smaller Shorthaul Sherpa are both AWESOME at organization, and very functional. Not "cute", but they do the job and they are really comfortable to wear.

If you wear a dad, I'd highly recommend the Mustard Sprout Marshall bag in a second! AMAZING organization with two large zippered compartments, lunch tote, smalls pockets, two bottle holders, and a front pocket full of organization for pens, wallets, small stuff, etc. Then on the strap, you have a designated cell pocket. It's designed for dads 5'8" and up, so if you're tall it might work, but I had no chance of wearing this bag at 5'2". :) They do make a child's bag, the Little Marsh, which is identical to the dad bag, without the lunch pack. It comes in red and would be too cute for J!

I know you've ruled out the Timbuk2's but that's always my #1 choice for a big bag. It will be traveling with us on Christmas Day as we hop houses. Sierra Trading Post has them on clearance for $30-40. :)

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

MamaKath
12-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Just a thought, but maybe letting us know what you are carrying in it might help.

I know I had a similar quest and got a Sherpa. For us it is perfect because I can organize all my stuff and the food I need for dd really well. It is big though and not at all a quick trip bag. It is in my car now and when we drove up the other day I packed the cooler with drinks- it fit 16 Juicy Juice juice boxes!!!! Plus a couple applesauces, some graham crackers and the spoons. Plus enough diapers for a LONG day out, wipes, change of clothes, toys, my stuff, etc. Because of how it holds the food at the bottom and the "stuff" at the top, it is very comfortable to wear however.
**ETA** If I were not carrying a lot of food, I think this would be great for keeping my kids stuff seperate when they were littler.

I also have a messenger (the Old Navy one) that is very similar to the medium T2. It is a great bag, but the organization lacks for me. It works well for outings where I know I will need to throw in coats, sack lunches, a diaper organizer (like one of those changing pads with pockets or an escape pod type container), and need my things in easy reach at the front. It has water bottle pockets outside so you can keep sippies and such in easy reach. Maybe check your Old Navy to see if they still have any? Then you would also have a better idea if the T2 would work for you if you saw this first.

**ETA**- Another great messenger that is super well organized is the Ameribag Tote. Might also be worth a look although it is not as large as the T2 medium or the Baby Sherpa.
GL! :-)

Nina31
12-21-2004, 02:57 PM
My local Sears had the LE DIA (navy) and the large tailored tote (black) in stock. At least you can get a chance to check these out IRL first. Both have plenty of compartments.

The new LE backpack is better organized than the older style (yep, I tried both!). It's probably not as good as the Baby Sherpa's, but for $27 it's a great price. I have this one Deep Claret, which is more of a wine color. On the website it looks purple. Overall, its a big bag, great for all-day outings and overnight trips.

lisak
12-22-2004, 01:00 AM
Where can I look at an Ameribag or a Baby Sherpa?
Those 2 have been mentioned on this board a lot lately, but I haven't seen any links.

TIA!

firsttimemommy
12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
I finally made a decision: The LE Backpack. I may hate it, but at least it's easy to return if I do!!!! LOL I may try the EB backpack (love the cell phone holder on the strap and the lightness) and just pick my fave and return the other. I also loved the Sherpa, but it's more than I wanted to spend right now.

I appreciate all the suggestions so much - I should have included in my original post that I really preferred not to spend more than $50-$60 since this is a bag I won't use a bunch. It is really for those all day outings like we've been on recently for the holidays (hence why I SUDDENLY realized I needed a bag like this). I do keep a stocked bag in the car but I realized FAST that I hated to drag in two bags or keep running to the car for stuff in the middle of the holiday parties! LOL

I would LOVE to find some of those clear bags (and if they were different colors (but transparent) that would be great) that the OP recommended. The Timbuk 2 ones are just too pricey for me (can't afford to spend another $50 to organize the bag).

Also, FWIW and for new mommies reading this thread, I have had MANY diaper bags over the past 2 years: (Fleurville Alpha 7, Marsupial (3 colors), Bandicoot, 2RedHens Rooster, Skip Hop (2 colors), Combi Backpack, Eddie Bauer tote, Ella Bag, LE Little Tripper (updated version), Timi and Leslie Large Bebe Bag, Ellington backpack and had but never officially carried a Holly Aiken messenger and bomber, Ellington InFlight Tote and Posh by Tori large tote), and from what I have learned, I have made my current collection:

a bag for strollering (Skip Hop)
bag for shoulder carrying that is sleek and stylish (marsupial)
bag for all day outings (LE backpack or other large bag like it)

Now keep in mind I am a pretty practical person - I don't like to have more than I "need" so I feel very comfortable with what I have now. I *could* use the skip hop for a shoulder bag too, but honestly, I am not crazy about carrying it that way - it just feels bulky to me.

Of course, ask me tomorrow, and it may be a different story!! LOL

Ronda
Proud Mommy to JL 1/03 and JC 4/04

audball
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
Ronda, if you were interested at any point in the (Sherpa) Short Haul - I thought this was a pretty good deal:
http://www.qualitymatters.com/Detail.bok?no=16

You had ALL those bags and then gave them up for these three (and only three?). Boy if that's the case, you are some efficient momma...I can't even decide what to wear in the morning (from my lame collection of sweat clothes!). ;) Can't imagine narrowing down my bags!

lisak
12-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Ronda-

Wow! You have really tried them all. I didn't realize how many bags/styles were out there. I am impressed w/ your top 3. Your top 2 are my current wants, well, I broke down and ordered a skip hop last night, but I have read so much about the Marsupial on this board that it makes me want one too. So, I will put my skip hop to use and then tell dh I need a larger bag (LOL!).

What color are your Marsupial bags?

firsttimemommy
12-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Well, Mariana really has (literally) had them all so I can't hold a candle to her list!!! LOL

I have a Moss marsupial right now. The ones I sold were the Black and the Robins Egg blue :)

The skip hop is such a great bag - it may not be "designer chic" but it is sooo useful! :)

Ronda

firsttimemommy
12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes, it is sooo hard having a practical AND addictive personality!!! LOL Total contradiction! It's like I am at war with myself constantly!

Thanks for the great tip on the Sherpas!!! I would love to have a full size, but maybe later :)

Ronda