PDA

View Full Version : Got my blue camo SkipHop, here are my quick thoughts...m

MamaKath
12-21-2004, 09:45 AM
I know I am not quick about much. My Blue Camo SkipHop arrived yeasterday. I am very pleased with my Expressive Toys experience (thank you Jen!!!) as it was easy to order by phone and shipped very quickly!!! My sister didn't order my Kecci afterall :-( but is going to "give" me this bag instead for Christmas. I guess the blue camo is trendy enough for her, lol, and I no longer feel guilty about ordering it.

Bag thoughts-
Pros:
*Love the color of the fabric
*Has lots of pockets
*Easy to access stuff
*Neat concept and attaches easily to the stroller
*Can easily hold plenty of stuff! (Could be used for me for an outing, but not an all day one since I need to deal with food allergies and bring food stuff with me. Would be good for a suburban lifestyle where I could access my car easily for other items, or as an urban bag for a young nursling.)

Cons:
*Seems stuff will be accessed by the elements since only a couple pockets zipper shut
*Not sure where to store the strap when not in use as it is a bit bulky, and when in use the other straps seemed annoying when they hang in the bag
*pretty heavy when empty compared to my other messenger bags
*Changing pad is pretty teeny, not an issue for me as I use disposable ones or recieving blankets but would be an issue otherwise (especially if this was my only bag)
*Hate the "Black Hole Syndrome" going on, and may purchase an Escape Pod wanna be that is clear so I can pull it out and find what I need. I can see needing a lot of organizer items (cosmetic bags, etc) in it since it is so deep and you are really digging alot.
*No key hook!!! I have never seen a messenger bag with no key hook! I managed to rig something, but that bothers me. I would think there would be 2, one for keys, one for a paci.
*Difficult to adjust the strap and has no pad on it making it a bit uncomfortable.
*Love the cell phone pocket BUT my phone doesn't fit well in it (which is why I am putting it in the Cons list). I have a flip style camera phone. My dh's narrow non-flip would be fine in it.

I am sure I will find other pros and cons. I am going to try using it today so these are my thoughts based on packing it up (and repacking and repacking trying to get it to suit my needs best). I am doubtful that my dh will carry this bag either due to its akward shape and strap adjustment. I am away and will get a good chance to use it so I'll update my thoughts after the holidays.

HTH someone deciding on the bag.

debbiet.
12-21-2004, 12:39 PM
Hi,

Here are my thoughts about your cons, I really love this bag :

*Elements getting into the main velcro area has never been a problem. The advantage of easy access is more important to me. I can get in there quickly.

*I store my shoulder strap in the back zipper pocket so I can always find it.

* The "stroller straps" have little pockets inside
which they slide into, when not in use. You may not have
noticed them.

*I find the bag pretty light. I have a coach too and it's lighter compered to taht.

*Black interior does not bother me, since some camo material shows.

Some people order an extra strap pad from timbuktu for more comfort.

I put my keys in front zip pocket. even though not a clip,
I can still find them.

Hope this helps. I gt a lot of compliments on the bag and enjoy using it. I don't feel like such a mom with it—DH really likes it.

Hope this helps.
Deb

MamaKath
12-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Okay, your tips make lots of sense. But since I have stuff packed into some of the pockets you have mentioned, how do you organize the rest of the stuff??

I am having big issues with my current wallet fitting, it is like a small purse since I carry a ton of spare change (I almost never carry cash so this is my "emergency" fund). I tried using a different wallet yesterday and couldn't fit the change in, and prior I used a wrislet, but the change would go flying when I went to pull out a credit card or cash hence the switch.

TIA~

MamaKath
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
So those of you with SkipHops how do you make them work for you? What goes where?

I need to carry 3 size 5-6 diapers for ds, wipes, disposal bags, 1 pair undies for dd, some small toys, small first aid kit (sandwich bag with creams, tylenol, band aids, mommy supplies, etc), some snacks, 2 sippies, 1 drink, my wallet, keys, changing pad. I can't remember if I had anything else in there.

TIA~

lmariana
12-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Here's what I do...

Front pockets:
My wallet
paci
iPod, camera, etc
keys

Front Zip Pocket:
My mommy stuff- lip glosses, pill case, lotion, hairbrush, etc

Back Zip Pocket:
Small Baby stuff- tylenol, motrin, teething tablets, kipiis, etc

Inside:
Diapers in pocket (two size 4)
Wipes in pocket
Extra shirt
Snack Trap
Toys, books, etc

Back pocket:
Changing pad (Skip Hop or disposable)

About the strap...
If I know I'm going to be wearing the bag, I will add the Timbuk2 Strap pad for comfort
If I'm running an errand, I remove the strap, attach the bag to my stroller/cart, and leave the strap in the trunk. If I will need it which on my errand, I toss it in the stroller basket or in the main compartment.

Hope this helps! Oh, and if you can't stand the interior...the denim Skip Hop is lined in red and really helps!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Nina31
12-21-2004, 02:39 PM
I know what you mean by the black hole syndrome and the small changing pad. They bother me a bit too. So I use the changing pad from the my LE little tripper instead- its a bit bigger but still fits in the back pocket just fine.

I put my spare bib, onesie, and one-piece playsuit in one bag and put it at the bottom of the main compartment. I rarely use this stuff so its out of the way.

I put my keys in the front zippered compartment along with my wallet and other stuff.

I keep my cometics case one of the front pockets. DD's two Avent bottles are in the other.

HTHs! I really like mine. The pros outweigh the cons I think. I feel its one of the the best medium-sized bags out there.

tarahsolazy
12-21-2004, 02:53 PM
This is my only diaper bag, and I CD full time. However, my DS is only 9mo and he's nursing, so less food to carry.

Front pockets: keys in one, wallet (I have a man wallet) in the other
Mesh side pocket: extra paci with paci cover
Cell pocket: cell phone, older flip style, fits fine

Main pocket: 2 pocket diapers, size Large
1 ultra emergency disposable dipe, size 4
1 or 2 prefold diapers, like huge burp cloths, these are my emergency dipes and can be changing pad, barf wiper, bib, etc
Small Rubbermaid filled with Cheerios
1 board book, 2-4 small toys
small wetbag for dirty dipes
velcro wetbag, like makeup bag, for diaper fasteners, extra socks, tylenol, and cloth wipes.

Back slider pocket: changing pad and plastic huggies wipe case with sposie wipes

Its pretty full sometimes, but I still love this bag!

bubbaray
12-21-2004, 04:07 PM
Here's how I organize my Skip Hop (actually, the bag does it for me, LOL!)"

Interior:
4 size 3 Pampers Cruisers (in the left pocket in the main compartment)
Huggies container of wipes and burp cloth (in the right pocket in the main compartment)
small cosmetic bag, lipstick, baby brush, tylenol, listerine strips (main compartment)
one set of stroller toys & links
knitted hat (main compartment
Bib (main compartment)

Exterior:
1 small vibrating teether & 1 rattle (in outside front left pocket)
1 small bottle Purell (outside front right pocket)
1 pen (outside front pocket)
1 package of gum (outside front pocket)
3 packages of sterilzer wipes (outside front pocket)
1 package of kleenex (in cell phone pocket)
1 cell phone (in front top zippered compartment)
1 wallet (in front top zippered compartment)
1 daytimer calendar (in rear top zippered compartment, along with long strap)
1 bottle of water (outside side pocket, or a Starbucks tall latte or Grande Frappuccino!!)
Skip Hop change pad or disposable pad in rear pad pocket

I sometimes put my iPod & iTrip in the rear top zippered compartment (when we are travelling). I could easily fit a PDA in one of the front pockets too, but I prefer the old-style paper organizer! :)

HTH

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

debbiet.
12-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Hmm.... My wallet is huge too! DH makes fun of me when I pull it out, especially since he sees it's full of receipts :)!

Anyway, why don't you make the front zip your pocket for the wallet and put the shoulder strap in the very back diaper pocket, or put the wallet in one of the inside bottle pockets.

Just my thoughts...
Deb

lisak
12-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the tips on getting the most use out of this bag and keeping all of ds's stuff so organized. I just ordered a red one and I can't wait to put ya'lls good tips to use.

I'll post back and let you know what I think!

I still think I want to try out the Marsupial too:)
Oh no, I think the diaper bag bug has hit hard, and I am not even that familiar w/ all the designer bags that are out there yet!!!

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
12-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I have a question - I am an FTM (or will be in the next 2-4 wks). I have a red skip hop to match my P3. How do you attach the skip hop to the peg? I thought you were supposed to use the straps for that?

Thanks in advance!

:) Lauren

jesseandgrace
12-26-2004, 09:33 AM
To attach it to a stroller you take off the carry strap, go inside the bag and pull out the little strap attachments (they are a few inches long). Then, you can make two little straps that can be attached to each side of your stroller bar. OK, that was definitely not the best description, but if you go to your bag you will easily figure it out now that you know about the little straps if I am reading your post corretly!

MamaKath
12-27-2004, 09:24 AM
Thank you for all the tips! I have been using and enjoying this bag. :-) The thing I was most worried about, the 1 bottle holder and the cell phone holder, I love! I love knowing where the phone is when it is ringing. :-) Great feature! It worked great with the stroller, though I find it cumbersome that you have to unattach and reattach the strap.

Overall, I can see this being a fabulous diaper bag. Wish it had been out there a couple years ago. ;-) Also wish they would offer a few looks to work for a variety of folks (I find the canvas very sporty, and the cord doesn't work for a lot of people. I wish they offered a leather version, a microfiber version, and something pretty- a VB like one would work for me, lol).