PDA

View Full Version : What's the most you would/have spent on a diaper bag?

vikivoly
12-28-2004, 01:06 AM
I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying the Loom Marsupial, but it's soooo expensive. I'm not sure I can live with myself if I purchase a diaper bag that is over $100. The Skip Hop cord. offer sounds very tempting and much easier to live with. So, how much would/have you forked out for a bag and was it worth it?

ktdid74
12-28-2004, 06:49 AM
The most I spent was on my Mothership. I got it for $135 (not through a co-op). My problem is I love nice purses, too. So, for some sick reason I gravitate towards more expensive diaper bags. I love the MS because it can hold everything and the pattern and vinyl is something love, too. Worth $135? Maybe not but I still love it :)
BTW- I have a Marsupial and find it much more manageable than my MS. Perfect size, love the fabric (I have the Moss), and it's very comfy to wear (I wear it messenger style and I'm 5'2) I'm one of the only people on this board without a skiphop I think!

murpheyblue
12-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Hmm, when I think about it, I've actually gotten some great bags at great prices - Thanks, of course, to these boards and the yahoo groups. The most expensive bags I have are a Mothership (which I got for about $65 at The Right Start fire sale) and a Timi and Leslie Large Bebe (which I got for $55 on their recent sale). Both are awesome, well made bags which hold tons of stuff. I think both are well worth retail or a co-op price. You carry a diaper bag all the time with a baby so it's like your purse. If you like nice purses you're going to want a nice diaper bag. I've never had the Marsupial but I think a large versatile bag is a great investment. Plus, the Marsupial doesn't scream 'diaper bag' so I think you could use it for years. For example, it would be a great bag to bring on an airplane with a young child to carry a small DVD player, cards, or other amusements.

DDowning
12-28-2004, 01:38 PM
I have a Burberry Tote diaper bag w/ a matching wallet that DH got for me last christmas in the traditional nova check print. I was a bit floored when I found out the price ($425 for the bag alone) and while it's nice, its not something I would have bought myself. I justify the cost by saying that it has great shelf life post-babies as a classic weekend or travel bag due to its size.

bluhimmy
12-28-2004, 04:41 PM
My T&L Large Bebe is the most expensive diaper bag. I did buy it through a co-op, so I managed to save a little money ;o) I love this bag, so no regrets.

Momof3Labs
12-28-2004, 06:32 PM
The most I've spent has been $50, give or take a couple of bucks once you factor in shipping and/or tax.

alaible
12-28-2004, 06:42 PM
I spent $80 plus shipping on a Fleurville Alpha 7 black cord bag. It is an ok bag but not all that I was hoping for. I recently got 2 Kecci's through the co-op for for less than I spent on the Alpha 7 and I like them so much better. I think $100 would be my limit and for $100 it has to be a perfect bag. But I just haven't found a bag that is perfect enough for me to drop that much cash.

heidi_timms
12-28-2004, 06:44 PM
The most I've spent is $120, but I have several pricey diaper bags. Vicki, have you tried to apply for the Diaper bag discounts yahoo group? It helps a little to get the pricier diaper bags at a discount. I have a mandarin marsupial on the way and I can't wait!

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

JennyLynn
12-28-2004, 10:42 PM
Oh boy... I have spent the last 2 weeks on a *mission* to find the perfect bag. Originally my limit was about $80. Now I have looked at hundreds of bags and I just can't find what I am looking for. If I do ever find the perfect bag, I would spend up to $200-$250. (If you had asked me this two weeks ago when I started looking, I never would have thought I would go that high! Just goes to show what the RIGHT bag is worth to a mom!) :7

Jenny

vikivoly
12-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Are you refering to the BBB babybag yahoo group? I just joined that group yesterday. Where did you order your marsupial?

Nina31
12-29-2004, 09:08 AM
The most I've ever spent was $60 for a Avent backpack in 2002. I remember there wasn't much over $100 at that time. Now it seems like the really stylish bags start at $120 and up. But there are some great bags in the $50-$75 range, like the Skip-Hops and Keccis. For the price of a Loom, you could buy two canvas Skip Hops (and still have money left over)!

vpalmer
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
I have only bought two diaper bags and they were both in the $80 range. This was a big deal for me considering I have never even spent that much money on a purse. Well, maybe one purse but that was a gift so I won't count that! My first diaper bag was a Samsonite bag that was fairly big and like a hard case. I am a horrible over packer and it was great for a newborn. I filled it up every time! When Eva was about a year old I upgraded to an Ella bag, which with the discount also cost about $80 with all the extras. It is a soft bag and has tons of bags for all our stuff. I now use this bag as a purse as well.

Veronica
Mom to Eva
Born 6-03

heidi_timms
12-29-2004, 06:23 PM
Vicki!
There is another group that was formed off of babybags called Diaper bag discounts. It's only open to those who are members of BBB for 60 days and those who have done at least 75 posts on the BBB. I got my Loom there. Of course you qualify, so you should definitely join that one too! The babybags group is mainly for selling and swapping bags now.

ETA the link:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/diaperbagdiscounts/

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

alaible
12-29-2004, 07:40 PM
I can't wait to be able to join that group. I have about 25 more posts to go.

I am expecting baby #2 in March so I will be looking for a couple bigger bags.

Holly

burkesilver
12-30-2004, 12:05 AM
Close to $300 for a Kate Spade messenger in the quilted Noel fabric. I had a huge case of buyer's remorse over that one!

bluhimmy
12-30-2004, 01:22 AM
Wow! I think you are the winner, hands down :o) You're definitely making me feel better about my purchases.

plady33
12-30-2004, 02:59 PM
I got a Burberry diaper tote as a gift from a group of my girlfriends, it was over 400! I love it though, it's going to last forever and won't ever go out of style. The most I myself have spent is like 160 for a Kate Spade but after a while I sold it on Ebay because it was too darn heavy.

vikivoly
12-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Thanks Heidi. I just joined. Let the spending begin. :)

burkesilver
01-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, it was a sad day when I sold it brand new on Ebay at a big loss as Kate Spade boutiques don't accept returns. Won't buy from them again!