PDA

View Full Version : How big is a Mothership compared to a Skip*Hop?

daisy82
01-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Is the Mothership too large to be my everyday diaper bag? Is the Skip*Hop too small to be my everyday bag? My dd is not quite 5 months, and we use cloth diapers most of the time, so we still lug a fair amount of stuff with us, though I try to be as minimalistic as possible.

Also, do you think a denim Skip*Hop would look good with a black Mountain Buggy stroller, or would the plain black look better. I'm wanting to buy one as a gift for a friend and I really love that denim, but I'm afraid it won't look good with her stroller.

heatherlynn
01-07-2005, 12:07 AM
I think you'd have to see one IRL to see whether the MS is too big. Personally, I thing it's HUGE, but others say it's not big at all, so it just depends. I use a Skip Hop as an everyday bag, but not sure how it would work if you use cloth diapers. I do tend to pack a lot, though.

I'm not sure a denim skip hop would look that great with a black MB. I have a black MB and I think the denim SH is fairly dark so it might blend in a little too much. You really could go with almost any other color, though. I have mushroom and it looks nice, but I'm looking for red since it would match my other strollers, too.

HTH!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

Momof3Labs
01-07-2005, 06:19 AM
I think that the Skip Hop is too small for an every day diaper bag, particularly if you cloth diaper. Because it is tall and skinny, you have to dig to reach the bottom layer in the middle section.

On the other hand, IMO the Mothership is HUGE. Have you looked up the measurements to get a sense for the difference (I usually dig through my current tote/purse/diaper bag collection to find something similar sized for comparison)?

mrsmac
01-08-2005, 02:08 PM
I have both and IMO they are completely different.

The Mothership (MS) is HUGE. I loved it at first, especially b/c as a 1st time new Mommy I loaded it up with everything and anything I thought I might possibly need and took it everywhere. Now, a year later, I'm over it, sorry to say. But it's just too bulky and I don't need one that big. I've still kept it in the car but usually don't go in anywhere long enough to warrant dragging it along. I actually started just carrying a purse that was a little bit bigger and threw in a diaper and small travel pack of wipes and left the MS in the car.

Now we are expectine baby #2 and so I am still figuring out how I want to divide up my stuff. I got myself a skip hop (SH) for Christmas, and it is much smaller and more narrow than the mothership. I also thought DH would like carrying it better than the MS (he has always 'huffed' about carrying the MS, it's pink and shiny, b/c he sasy he feels stupid with it, I can't blame him.) He likes the skip hop better but still thinks the light blue color I picked out is a bit too 'sissy'....oh well!

AND just this week I received my 3 Kecci shanghai bags (one for my DDs stuff, in chartreuse, and one for the new DS, in Navy - but yes, dh still thinks it's too girly - he'll get over it! And one in Aqua for a friend) and I have to say I think the size of them is just perfect, right in the middle of the MS and SH. I really LOVE the Kecci the best probably (also because it can be a backpack too, very handy.) But, not everyone loves the brocade fabrics so for a gift I think a skip hop may be a safer bet. Although it is not very big.

Does your friend already have another diaper bag or will this be her first? IMO 1st timers usually want something a bit larger than the SH.

Anyway, I hope some of this rambling has helped!
Good Luck!
~Tanya