PDA

View Full Version : Does this bag exist?

vikivoly
01-09-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm looking for a bag for an infant and toddler. I'm currently carrying the free Similac bag and for obvious reasons I'm looking for something else. Here's what I would like and have come to the conclusion that I will most likely have to spend $$$ to get it. If it's "the" bag, then I don't mind, but I don't want to spend that much and not be satisfied.

SIZE: I actually like the size of the Similac bag. I would rather have it be too large than too small, since I am a heavy packer.

SHAPE: I prefer something that isn't as deep as the freebie bag. I don't like to stack my stuff. But not so wide that I bump into everything.

MATERIAL: I'm not really picky about fabrics, but I don't like the shiny bags (T&L & Fleurville). Pretty is a plus, since everything else I have is black.

ORGANIZATION: An exterior sippy/bottle holder is a must. Cell phone holder would be nice too. I like pockets and prefer a more organized bag. I also like exterior pockets, but it's not a deal breaker.

STYLE: I'm guessing messenger, although I will probably just sling it over my shoulder. I would like it to be able to hang off of my stroller. I have the E3. I'm open to the style, but not too keen on the backpacks.

STIFFNESS/STUFFABILITY: It must stand on it's own, but I really want something I can over stuff when needed.

I've been looking at the Loom and think it's pretty close, but I'm not sure about the size (is it too big?) and I know you can't stuff it. I'm also considering the SkipHop, but am worried it's too small.

Please help, because it's been 3 months and I'm still carrying the free Similac bag. :(

ETA: by Loom, I mean the Marsupial

MamaKath
01-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Okay, not sure what all you are packing, but the two that came to mind right off the bat were the Loom Marsupial and the Ameribag Tote. The Ameribag http://www.ameribag.com/abagcollection.html#
is not a diaper bag, but works well as one. I am not sure on the availability online, you might need to call them if you decided on that one. The SkipHop doesn't stand well on its own (an issue with many true messenger bags as they can be a bit floppy) and items are a bit stacked.

The other thought I have is to look at non-diaper bags. I know there are lots of Timbuk2 (T2) fans here and you can build your own messenger through their site. They also have a new bag available that looks promising and is not on their site yet, there was a recent post. Even a T2 knockoff might work well. I know Ebags has a few messengers in their own line that are reasonably priced and have some decent features. http://www.ebags.com/ebags/lightning_messenger/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=15029 Gives an idea of what I mean. Old Navy had one too, it was on clearance awhile back, you might be able to get one sheap to at least try before customizing your own T2.

If you go for a messenger bag that lacks tons of interior pockets, you might think of getting an organizer from the travel section at your local big box place, like an Escape Pod type thing. Also small clear cosmetic bags are wonderful! Then it makes it easy to see things and also grab them and go.

I am sure others will also have great tips for you too. :-) HTH~

NYSarah
01-09-2005, 07:07 PM
I agree, look at non-diaper bags! I was given the Mothership and a nice KVZ bag, but I love and use this:

the High Sierra Messenger.

It's got great organization, a large pocket for a laptop inside that's perfect for a changing pad; 2 bottle holders on the outside; a carabinier (I think that's what they're called) thing for your keys -- the only thing it doesn't have is a dedicated cellphone holder but I added this cell phone caseto the strap.

And it's always on sale (today it's less than $14 -- not even 10% of the cost of a Mothership!)

nov02mom
01-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Vicki- T&L also has the 2 non shiny bags in nylon. One in blue and one in pink! They are really great!