PDA

View Full Version : Jirroo Dekko Satchel - messenger bag made to snap around stroller handles!

mams99
01-14-2005, 05:15 PM
This post has been edited to include all relevant "findings" of the bag!

I know I'll need a small bag yet, but I wanted to get one big one without going OVER the top. I found the big Land's Bag while great, is just TOOOOOOO huge.

So... what I found, The Jirroo Dekko Satchel. The info online sucks, but I got to see it IRL (and bought it!), so now I know! The size is just right, it has all kinds of organizational things to it and in the right places. I love that it has insulated bottle compartments and are on the outside (no leaks INTO the bag this way), but are HIDDEN in zippered compartments on the sides. I plan to breastfeed, so my use for this will be limited, so I didn't want to have DIAPER BAG advertised everywhere and to me, nothing like baby bottle pockets to announce it's a diaper bag! These side pockets will hold Advent bottles and sippy cups (without handles) quite easily. They'll hold your bottled water too, (just not your large sports bottles!) The insulated bottle holders can be seen in the pictures below. They FULLY enclose the bottle, so it has to be more effective in keeping them cold/warm.

Anyway, what they don't mention online is that this satchel has snaps to use on your stroller!!! It securely snaps the straps to the stroller and with the big flag that goes over the bag, makes it VERY easy to access the innards, yet stay closed!!! The bag is held closed with two velcro pieces.

Since this is a messenger/satchel, the shoulder strap can be shortened or lengthened, but that doesn't affect how far it hangs on the stroller. On my stroller, the MBUS, it fits perfectly - not too high or too low and I'm assuming it would be that way for ANY stroller. Of course, with hanging any bag on a stroller, you want to make sure there's NO WAY it will tip over backwards!

I wanted to test how much stuff (weight) I could put in the satchel without it coming unsnapped and it can hold a LOT of weight!!!! I put in a webster's dictionary, two large paperbacks, an Ikea catalog and another catalog and it STILL held. I just ran out of room in the bag and was at the point of worrying about tipping over the empty stroller!

It comes with a zippered makeup case, a dirty duds bag (which snaps closed, but is not "fully" sealed, and a large changing pad.

The bag is divided into baby section, middle zippered "magazine" pocket and mommy section.

Starting with the baby section: First interior pouch is for the changing pad. Then there is the "baby" section which has two mesh pockets (one over the other) for baby food jars. On the other end it has a large elastic band to hold "something" in place, maybe diapers? Other bags? I'm not sure what I'll use it for - right now I have the dirty duds bag held in place there. On the back part of the baby section is a zippered pouch which can hold diaper wipes. It is clear plastic. Behind the plastic pouch is the same sized pouch to stash maybe a container of wet wipes - not sure. Below the zippered plastic pouch is a similar sized mesh pocket (for diapers?)

Then there is the magazine section which is a zippered small compartment and RIGID - this is what they call the magazine/catalog pouch.

Behind that is the Mommy section. The front part of the mommy section has two elasticized pouches to hold a phone, the makeup bag, and ???, on the one side is a bottle holder (non insulated) and the other has another of those elastic bands. The back of the mommy section has three pen holder slots and a zippered "privacy" compartment.

The flap which closes across the top is held in place by velcro, as mentioned. under the velcro on the outside of the bag is another zippered pocket which would be great for those quick grab things like wallet and keys! If you look closely at the second picture you can see some of these partitions and pockets.

On the straps you can see the snaps on the straps. The shoulder straps buckle is brushed nickel as are the zipper pulls on the side.

This bag will stand on it's own, but I don't know how it will stay upright when packed with stuff unevenly distributed among the pockets as it is quite narrow.

Other stuff: The bottom does NOT have metal grommets. The changing pad measures 25" by 14" - which is *quite* generous (one side bag color, other side tan)! The interior is tan colored and the same nylon (similar to most purse interiors)

I really, really like it and can't wait to use it!!!

Here are the specs:

1200 denier twill nylon
• Size: 15"H x 14"W x 5.5"D
• Weight: 3.5 lbs.
• Warranty: 2 Years

Colors - navy, black and brown.

I bought this at a local boutique, but found they sell it at ebags for $60.00 - not a bad price at ALL!!!

Pics:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19823.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/19824.jpg

JodiM.
01-15-2005, 03:45 PM
Wow! I really like that bag.
Where did you buy at (link!!! LOL) and how much did it end up costing?

twizzli
01-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Does it have exterior bottle pockets?

mams99
01-16-2005, 09:13 PM
Ok, this is the third time I'm trying to respond, so hopefully the site will cooperate for me now!

This bag was bought at a local maternity boutique in D.C. called Pickles and Ice Cream. It was the last one, so I wasn't going to leave it there for someone else to snatch up! Usually they sell it for $65.00, but had it marked to $50.00

Once I got home I looked in up online and found that ebags sells it for $59.00 and free shipping, so I got it a *little* less than I could find elsewhere, but not be much since I had to pay for taxes.

Right now it is hanging on the back of my Mountain Buggy Single with the carry cot. I SWEAR it looks like the two were made for each other. I think this will be great bag for me.

It's not one I would want to carry around on my shoulders, but I don't like carrying ANYTHING big on my shoulders, that's why I love that it has the snaps to attach it securely to the stroller and at the perfect height.

Melissa

24 weeks 6 days with #2, #1 is 8.5

mams99
01-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Yes, it does, just somewhat hidden. If you look on the photos in the main message you will see a bottle peaking out of the side. There are two zippered compartments - one on each side of that bag that are insulated bottle holders. There are also interior places to put them, but not insulated or as protected.

Hope this helps!

Melissa

twizzli
01-17-2005, 12:45 AM
thanks! one follow-up do you think the bottle pockets would hold an avent or wider sippy or just traditional bottles as pictured.

mams99
01-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Sorry it took me a couple days to get to this! We're a bunch of sick people in the house! Bleh! Just colds, but a GOOD dose of it!

Anyway, I don't have sippy cups or advent bottles in the house as I'm not ready for those yet! I went to the store and looked at the size of advent bottles and compared them to coke bottles and water bottles and concluded that they were about the same diameter.

So, I went home and tried to place the Coke bottle in (it has that bulbous bottom, skinnier for the hand section and bulbous top). It fit just fine!! It's a little tight length wise, so you can only fit it if you place the top in first and then slide the bottom in, but the zipper zips up with ease - no stretching or pulling needed. The same went for the Dasani water bottle.

It would handle most any sippy cup without handles. Anything with grasp handles would be just too wide, but otherwise it can hold most things. I tried to see if it would fit a sport water bottle (tall one from REI) and NO WAY, but that's asking a lot! You would need to use one of the interior mesh pockets for that.

BTW... these are foiled insulated bottle pockets and I like that it encloses the WHOLE bottle and not just half. The cooling/heating has to be better that way.

Melissa

ginamlee
01-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Wow, I really like that bag! And the stroller straps are just what many here are looking for! Maybe you should re-post with the subject heading: Large messenger diaper bag that snaps to a stroller!

mams99
01-20-2005, 06:13 PM
I was thinking the same thing, but just hadn't gotten around to it - the title of the bag isn't even in the title, so doing a search might not be that easy either!

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll do that right now...

Melissa

Edd#2 5/2/05 with Little Boy, Big Boy is 8.5!

punkadoodle2
01-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Would this work on a Peg Plikomatic stroller? Like the P3? Just wondered with the umbrella stroller like handles.

Thanks for the very imformative post!!!
Ellen

carolshi
01-21-2005, 12:54 PM
How does it attach to the stroller bars? I see the snaps in the photo - do they just snap together with the rest of the shoulder strap hanging free?

I have a double side-by-side stroller and I'm wondering how this would work with my middle bar.

Thanks!

Carol

mams99
01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Yes, it should work. The snaps make a loop out of part of the shoulder strap - one on each side, so you snap it around whatever handle you have. The "remainder" of the shoulder strap just kinda hangs down behind the bag while strapped.

Now, the "tricky" part is keeping the loop from sliding down the whole stroller. Either the bag would hang low (maybe too low) if you let it fall all the way down, or you would have to loop it at the top part of the handle BEFORE it does the UCurve.

Is that a similar issue for the SkipHops?

Hope this helps!

Melissa

mams99
01-21-2005, 02:51 PM
If you basically have two strollers together (three handles) then you would need to attach it to one side or the other. If they are umbrella syle handles, you would either need to attach them above the U curve, or see how far the bag "falls" when it slides down the umbrella handles. I can't know if it would fall too much or not as that varies from stroller to stroller. Of course, you could probably rig something that would act as a road bump so that it doesn't fall past where you want it to pass.

If you have one handle that reaches across the two - no problems at all, just snap it together and hang it in the middle.

I hope this helps!

Melissa

carolshi
01-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks Melissa! That's really helpful. I have the Combi Twin Savvy so it sounds like I could probably loop both snaps over the middle (horizontal) bar, or one over the far side and one over the middle (vertical) bar. I think that's what you are saying. Thanks for the info!

Carol