PDA

View Full Version : Skip*Hop???

princessw
01-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Hi Ladies,

So I have had my eyes set on the MS for a long time! I ordered it and just got it and it is just tooo big for me. So I am sending it back to exchange and trying to decide what to exchange it for. Any advice is greatly appreciated! I currently have a 2yr old and am currently 6 months pregnant with #2. Is the skip hop big enough for an every day bag for a toddler and a newborn? I really don't carry too much for my toddler anymore, just diapers (hoping to have her pottytrained by then)and wipes and a book. Would the skip*hop be sufficient or perhaps the loom marsupial? I definitely need something with good organization inside. I would wait for the new fleurvilles, but would like to go ahead and get something since I am returning the MS, I can just exchange it.

Thanks for the advice!!

Marie
DD 11-1-02
EDD 5-4-05

lmariana
01-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Depending on how you usually pack for a newborn the Skip Hop may be enough for you! It is great bag with wonderful organization, but here are a few concerns I would have for the newborn stage...
* may be a little small
* doesn't stand well alone (not really bad, just not great)
* no insulated bottle pockets

The Loom Marsupial is a great bag too! Excellent organization, plenty of space, well constructed, and GREAT bottle pockets. It stands well on its own and will also hang from your stroller handles. It's not as "compact" or "squish-able" as other baby bags, so it has the tendency to feel a tad big when you carry it, but otherwise it a marvelous bag!

Hope this helps a bit! Enjoy the new bag search!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

SteelerFan
01-16-2005, 05:49 PM
I LOVE my MS--my son is 5 months old and I really feel like it's big enough to carry everything I need for him--and I"m a heavy packer. The pockets are amazing--everything is so organized in it. When I had to send my MS back I had packed up my Camo Skip Hop and I *really* disliked it--I just felt like it was way to small to carry all of my needs for a newborn and a 4 year old (still carry small snacks for her). I used it for 1 hour and was so frustrated by it that I came home, unpacked and packed up my second MS! **whew** I also bought a T & L for spring and it's a touch smaller than a MS, but I think it's a good sized bag--for newborn needs, if you think the MS is too large, why not go and check out the T & L bag--it will be big enough for newborn/toddler needs without being overwhelmingly large. They also have a backpack that I've seen many RAVE about. I think the SkipHop will be a much better bag (at least for me) when my son is a toddler--to small for me now.

Good Luck!!! HTH!

Amy
2 DDs
DS-8/04

caridura
01-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I own a MS and a Skip Hop. For 2 kiddos though, I'd think the MS would be better. I have a newborn and am using the MS as my long trip bag and the Skip Hop as my everyday bag. I don't think the Skip Hop would be able to cut it for me if I had 2 kids though. It really depends on how much you will be taking with you.

princessw
01-17-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the advice!!! Would the Loom or the T&L Bebe bag be better?

jenfed1
01-17-2005, 09:56 AM
I have a Skip Hop and loved it when I wanted to go out with just a few things and hang it on the stroller...but for an everyday bag with an infant, I don't think it cuts it. I don't have MS, but I have several friends with them...they seem awesome for that newborn/infant stage when you lug your house around with them...but after that, I think it's a bulky bag. I got a T&L and it seems like it holds a lot of stuff without being as bulky as the MS...I'm due with #2 in the spring and plan to use the T&L and the Skip Hop for really quick trips.

iznav
01-17-2005, 10:47 AM
I have a Loom Marsupial, that I liked, but I found in the winter, with two kids, and having to lug the folding potty seat thing with, I just could not cram enough stuff in. Also, it's bigger on the bottom than the top, so for me it was just hard to use the space. If that makes any sense. Also the insulated bottle holder took up some space and I didn't seem to use it. I also used a Mothership for a while but it was really big to have that on my shoulder and get the two kids out the door. It seemed like I was always bonking one of the girls on the head with my bag! I recently got a Skip Hop and I really like it. Very organized, more so than the Marsupial IMHO, and I can stuff more stuff in it than the Loom when I need to. I also like that it is slimmer, but I can't get it to stand up on its own - which isn't bothering me yet.

writeleigh
01-17-2005, 01:11 PM
oops!

writeleigh
01-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Sorry- I tried to reply in the wrong place.

Since I am getting a Mothership (for long daytrips and travel) and also a T&L large bebe bag for daily use, I can take photos of them side-by-side to give you a feel for how T&L compares in size and organization if you'd like. They should both arrive no later than Wednesday,so I can post pics then.

princessw
01-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks, Leigh!!!

That would be great! I am so torn. I know I will need the space of the M/S it just seems so bulky that I thought the T&L might be better. Unfortunately we don't have any stores here locally that carry the T&L and only one that carries the M/S, so the pics would be a HUGE favor!!

Thank you!!!

writeleigh
01-17-2005, 01:45 PM
No problem- I will post pictures once they both arrive and that way you can see how big the T&L is and also if it will fit what you need (I'll take interior pics too).

writeleigh
01-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Just wanted you to know, due to some mix ups with my original orders, the bags will be arriving on Thursday, not Wednesday, so I will take comparison photos then :)

princessw
01-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks, Leigh!

writeleigh
01-20-2005, 12:53 PM
This is my comparison of the Fleurville Mothership (here in Lime Bingo) and Timi and Leslie large Bebe bag (in La Femme).

First impressions: The Mothership is even more attractive IRL than in photographs. I really am glad I went with the Lime Bingo pattern because it's very fun funky, and Caribbean-looking with the colors. There are three bottle pockets. Two outside and one insulated one inside. My measurements of the bag (including the 2 side pockets) are 16 w x 13 H x 5 D.
The bag is very large, but not very heavy. Even after I loaded it up, it wasn't as heavy as I anticipated. The quality of the bag appears excellent, with seemingly strong seams and construction.
Contents- I loaded the bag up as I might for a long trip (I am planning to use the bag for longer day trips and air travel):
5 diapers size 5
1 Fluerville wipe case
2 Dr. Brown bottles
snacks
small toys
2 books
1 DVD
my wallet-purse
1 change of clothes
"first aid" kit (travel sunscreen, band-aids, etc.)
anti-bac wipes

(photo of what I put in the bag)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000060.jpg

A note about the bottle pockets- I use Dr. Brown's bottles, which are thinner than some other brands. Because of this, I can fit 2 bottles in the interior insulated pocket. The interior pocket also fits one sippy cup (the kind with handles). Obviously, I could also use one or both of the outside pockets for bottles, but the outer pockets do not fit the kind of sippy cups we have (they might fit the taller, thinner kind without handles). Anyway, this actually means that I could fit some additional, small items in the outer pockets.

The bag is comfortable to carry. I'd include lifestyle photos, but I've been taking care of a sick toddler and look like crap right now LOL. I can wear it like a shoulder bag, or across my chest messenger style with ease.

Cons: very large, which could be a con for some. I am using this as longer-trip bag. It would also be excvellent for those with newborns and/or more than one child.

Timi and Leslie first impressions: Like the Fleurville, this bag is even more beautiful IRL than in online photos. The La Femme pattern somehow manages to be simultaneously whimsical, unusual, and delicate. The quality of the bag appears to be excellent and well-constructed. There are two bottle pockets, one outside and an insulated one inside. This is the OLDER style of T&L bags- a newer version would have an additional outer bottle pocket (total of 3 bottle pockets) and My measurements are:13 W x 13 H x 4 D (websites list it as 12 x 12 x 4)

Contents- I overloaded the bag with a bit more than I would normally carry on a day-to-day basis. Mainly for the purposes of this comparison:

Black case with 2-3 size 5 diapers, wipes, disposal bags, disposable changing pad.
2 Dr. Brown bottles
Matching cosmetic case which holds: anti-bac wipes, tylenol, travel sunscreen, band-aids, etc.
2 small toys
my wallet-purse
Timi and Leslie changing pad.
snacks

picture of what I put in the bag)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000066.jpg

Also, I could actually have fit some other small items- the pocket with the snacks still had some room in it, and I did not use the outside, zippered pocket. I think you could easily fit one emergency outfit if it were made of a thin material (like knit) in the largest inside pocket. Because it was a bit overloaded, I felt the heaviness of the bag more than I normally would.

Cons: I would prefer the shoulder strap be wider and/or have some padding.

Here are side by side photos of the bags (Mothership on left).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000068.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000070.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000073.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/loveliam/P1000074.jpg

There is also this thread that compares a T&L Bebe bag with a Fleurville Alpha 7 if you need more sizing comparison or ideas.
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=14696&mesg_id=14696&listing_type=search

princessw
01-20-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the awesome reviews, Leigh! Unfortunately I can't see the pics. :( I will try from home later and see if I can get them there, but I certainly appreciate your time and effort on this! So it sounds like for 2 kids, you recommend the M/S??

writeleigh
01-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh no! I hope other people can see the pictures . . . otherwise I will have to reload them another way.

Hmm . . . I think it really depends on how much you carry. Since I have only one, that's hard for me to say. My friend has a toddler and a newborn and carries an Alpha7, so the T&L would probably be big enough for her, but I'm not really sure how much she carries.

dules
01-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I can't see the pics either! Can you check and maybe edit your post? I'm definitely thinking about these two bags, as well as the Alpha...

Best,
Mary

writeleigh
01-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay- so sorry! I am in the process of editing them and reposting the photos in another format.

writeleigh
01-20-2005, 01:38 PM
Can you see the pictures now?

princessw
01-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Got 'em! Thank you! This is VERY helpful!!! And I really LOVE the pattern of your T&L. Looks very cute in your photos!