PDA

View Full Version : LL Bean Diaper Bag- - Review with PICS!!! *UPDATED AGAIN*

newmomto1
01-18-2005, 06:50 PM
My LL Bean Diaper Bag is here!!!!!!
Here’s my review:

First Impression: Smaller than I expected, reminds me of the Updated Little Tripper (but roomier), *extremely* lightweight.

External: There is a flap pocket on the front. The flap itself has a nice sized zipper compartment (about 9” x 5”). Under the flap (which is velcroed) is a zippered compartment that is quite large (9”H x 12”W x 1.5”D). The compartment is pleated so it is definitely stuffable!!!! Inside the compartment is a little organizer that looks like it’s for cash, credit cards, etc. (this also has a small zippered compartment!) there is also a key fob in this compartment.
On one side of the bag is a mesh bottle pocket that is very roomy & easily accommodates an Avent bottle or a water bottle.
The other side has 2 small velcro pockets. The one on the bottom is about 6”H x 5”W x 1”D. I was able to fit a small snack container in there. The top pocket is about 4”H x 5”W x 1”D. I have a small flip phone that fits in there really well!
On the back of the bag is a Velcro pocket that houses the changing pad.
The chanding pad is 21” x 10”. It’s black on one side & lime green on the other. It is a *little* difficult to get it back into the pocket…not terrible though.

Internal: The interior of the bag is a bright, lime green.
There is a larger zippered compartment along the back that runs the length & depth of the bag. It has some depth to it as well, so it can hold a lot! In the photos I have 3 size 4 dipes, a wipes case, & a Ziploc baggie with some odds & ends. It could easily fit more stuff though.
Along the front are 3 mesh pockets. The ones on each side easily accommodate Avent bottles. The one in the center is smaller, I put a bottle of Purell in there.

The bag is extremely comfy to wear either shoulder or messenger style.
Strap length is longest: 40.5” shortest: 24”.
The strap would go shorter except the shoulder pad thingy is in the way.
The strap pad is movable & made out of a non-slip rubber. It’s pretty thin, small , & flexible (which I think is a good thing).

I compared the bag to several in my pics. Unfortunately my Little Tripper is in DH’s car…so I do not have that for comparison. I can add those pics tomorrow.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I have been interrupted about hundred times while I’ve been trying to write this….so hopefully it’s okay :-)

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=775747650205

Here are some pics of the bag next to my Updated Little Tripper:
(I do not know why the pics look so BIG!!! If you click the links below they will be normal size. Can someone tell me how to fix the big ones????)
Thanks!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20025.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20026.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20028.jpg

**UPDATED AGAIN**
Okay...had my first outing with this bag this morning & I LOVE it!
I went out to run a few errands with DS & I felt sooo organized with this bag (even more than with my A7 which I thought was impossible to surpass!)!
True...it's NOT a *beautiful* bag...but if you're looking for organization it rocks!

ALSO..I tried something esle. I took everything out of my bag & put it in my new T&L Large Bebe Bag & then in my Mothership.
My conclusion is that it DEFINITELY holds more (comfortably) than the T&L & at least as much as the MS.
The bag does not feel heavy or bulky & works well with less stuff in it too (IMO)
Anyway..I am certainly not trying to sell anyone on the bag...I just really like it & think it was a great deal ;-)

nd93
01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Wow! What a *very* thorough review with great pictures. Thank you very very much!

newmomto1
01-18-2005, 07:01 PM
My DH always make fun of me for being too "detail oriented"...it's a running joke here.
You're very welcome!!!!!
:-)

Mikesa3
01-18-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks so much for all the pictures and review.I've been checking the board the past few days waiting to hear more about this bag.It looks great.I think I'm going to order it soon.I wonder what color is inside the blue one.I'm still thinking about the updated lil tripper so would like to see your pictures when you get a chance.
Thanks again.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

audball
01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Awesome review! The bag has such a cute shape and it looks like it holds so much more than the pics on the website show. This looks like it may make a good "airplane trip" bag! :)

Nina31
01-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the review! Great pics too. I'm liking it more and more. Do you think it can hold more than the Skip Hop?

kseltmann
01-18-2005, 09:22 PM
Congratulations... she's a real beauty!
I am so jealous of your new bag. I just ordered a new LT to be Emily's "School bag" but who knows. I might just have to get myself one as a spring bag. What a great bag for a great price. Wish it came in pink though...

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030924/3/4/3/-5/.png[/img][/url]

MamaKath
01-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Thank you for the awesome review and pictures!!!! So helpful!!!!

I still have some questions. Could this be used as a purse? If you had to choose between this and the LE LT which would you choose (thinking for some kids stuff and your stuff)? Is the lime too bright for you? Is the black a real bright, true dark black?

Didn't you order a couple bags in the last couple days? I am interested in seeing how it compares to the others. :-)

jasabo
01-18-2005, 09:44 PM
Great review and pics! Thank you so much! I was waiting to hear what people thought of the bag before ordering, but now I think I'm going to do it. I'm not crazy about the color choices, but the organization seems really great so I'll give it a try. You certainly can't beat the price :)

Thanks so much for the review!!

Lisa - mom to 19 month old twin boys

Tina9544
01-18-2005, 09:52 PM
THAT is what a bag review should look like!!! Thank you! I think I may have to go check that out. I have a Mothership, but I find its so huge and hard and boxy, I am constantly hitting DS in the head when I turn around and he cries. :(

mams99
01-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Is it just me or do all these bags seem to be about the same size? Even the mothership doesn't seem much larger. Is that an illusion?

Well, the mothership was the ONLY one that seemed bigger otherwise the Alpha7 seemed similar in size.

It's just so confusing - even with GREAT pics!!! Seeing them all IRL is not an option and this HAS to be the next best thing, but it's so hard to guage which would feel/fit better FULL on a shoulder than any others!!! GRRR!!!

Great review - I just wish that LLBean would carry this in their store. I don't even know if they plan to!

Melissa

3.5 months to decide!!!

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 12:44 AM
I think it can hold more than a Skip Hop because it's pretty deep (front to back). Also..it's much easier to see what's going on inside. I don't use my SH much b/c I get irritated when I have to dig & pull everything out of my bag to find what I am looking for.

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 12:54 AM
I think this bag might be a little large to use solely as a purse.
I think the LT is more "purse" sized.
If *I* had to choose between the LT & the LL Bean...I would choose LL Bean b/c it's much roomier without feeling big & bulky.
I like the LT a lot..but I RARELY use it b/c at this point I cannot fit everything I need in there for a day out with DS.
I carry a lot less than I used to, but we are getting to the point where I need to carry plenty of snacks & entertainment for him :-)
The lime is definitely bright...but it doesn't show unless the bag is open. I think it's kind of cool actually.
Anyone who has seen my posts KNOWS how conservative I am. I am scared to death of colors & patterns (though I am working on changing that!)...but the lime does not bother me.
The black seems to be a true black...blacker than my LT.
Yes...I have ordered TOO many bags lately. Just got a T&L Lina today (VERY pretty...but undecided if I can really pull off the "flowered" thing), & I still have 2 Chesters on the way.
I CANNOT keep all these bags!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 12:58 AM
I feel your frustration!
I took the pictures & when I looked at them I felt the same way you do!
They all looked the same!
I can tell you that I have been carrying my Alpha & on a daily basis for quite a while now. I took everything out of it & put it in the LL Bean. I definitely think the LL Bean can hold more than the A7.
I had a lot more room left over than usual.

HTH a little.

KrisM
01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
I have the LT and I don't use the front pocket at all because I find it not deep enough for anything. Do you think the pocket with the organizer parts in it is bigger/better or easier to use than in the LT? I'm looking for something that I can use in place of my purse, since I'm always out with the diaper bag.

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 09:05 AM
The front pocket on the LL Bean is definitely bigger & can hold a lot! I put my wallet in there & it didn't even make a dent in the space.
It is zippered with a velcro flap over it.

Canna
01-19-2005, 09:18 AM
That is a nice-looking bag! Thanks for the review!

I am impressed with the number of black bags that you seem to own! ;)

Toba
01-19-2005, 09:58 AM
I just ordered this bag on Friday, and mine should be here today or tomorrow, but I'm too anxious .... so I hope you don't mind if I ask two questions.

1-) I have a bad back and kyphosis (which causes rounded shoulders), so a lot of straps are painful for my back and fall right off my shoulder. Do you think this is a comfortable strap when packed? I would be wearing this messenger style mostly, but might have to occasionally sling it over my shoulder.

2-) Noah gets 8 oz. Playtex Nursers of EBM. These are tall bottles, taller than your Avent bottles. It's hard to judge how much more room there is above your Avents ... do you think mine would fit?

I really like the look of it a lot. Thank you SOOO much for such detailed photos and review. I'm sure it took quite a bit of time for us diaper bag psychos and I truly appreciate it!!

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I don't mind at all :-)!!

I think the bag seems comfortable to wear both messenger AND shoulder style. I have tried them both...but, please keep in mind that I just got the bag yesterday. I have not "road-tested" it yet. Sometimes what seems comfy at home doesn't seem so comfy when you're out "shlepping" around.

When I put the Avent bottle in the side mesh pocket there is about
1-2 inches of space left above the bottle. On the inner pocketes the top of the Avent bottle is even with the top of the mesh pockets. I think the Playtex would fit fine...they may stick out of the top, but I think they'll be secure in the pockets.

LMK if you have any other questions :-)

Toba
01-19-2005, 10:17 AM
Thank you so much, that really helped!!

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

KrisM
01-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much! You're review was great. I think I'm going to order one today :)

meshell
01-19-2005, 12:38 PM
Wow! Thanks for the great review! I am loving this bag...while it's not quite as stylish as others, it does have great organization...and I really like the lime green interior.

Question, though, the website lists the outside fabric as "durable mini ripstop polyester". Is it a pretty durable, heavy fabric? Or is it the lightweight ripstop like the LeSportSac bags?

Argghh! These boards are so addictive!

Thanks for your help!
Michelle (first baby due 4/2/05)

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 12:45 PM
I am not familiar with the LeSportSac bags (sorry!)...but the fabric seems really durable.
For me this will be a bag I will carry when I do not want to have to "worry about my bag"...KWIM??
I can't imagine any normal activity or wear damaging this bag. It reminds me of the LE bags in that way.
HTH :-)

Mikesa3
01-19-2005, 01:01 PM
How does the size of the LL Bean compare to the T & L bag?

Edited to add -Oops I just read your updated review that it can hold as much as the T & L.Does it seem smaller/ Less bulky? If the LL Bean had more color choices , it looks like the perfect bag.I think I'm going to order it in blue soon.I don't buy many bags compared to most here but dh still will say something about me buying another bag.(not that he complains about me spending $$, he just doesn't get why I'd want/need more then one.LOL)
Thanks

Toba
01-19-2005, 01:33 PM
And I REALLY like it a lot. It's roomier than I thought, but still not bulky at all. I only wish two things ... that the zippers were a little nicer (I like when zippers slide like butter) and there were pockets instead of the very large zipper pocket in the back. Honestly, it doesn't bother me so much, because we rarely change Noah when we are out (he's such a good baby and we tend to go on short errands anyway) ... it just would be nice. I still love it. I even like the lime green color. I also like the front section where I can store things that I don't use so much, like his jarred food, wet ones, stuff like that. Great bag for a great price. I'd post pics but newmomto1 posted excellent pictures already!!!

~Kimberly Anne~
*the light of my life*

Mikesa3
01-19-2005, 01:45 PM
It's good to read another positive review.I'm guessing you ordered the black one too.Has anyone ordered the blue yet?I'd like to see pictures of that one too.I like this style over the Lil Tripper because I could put my wallet in that front section,I don't think a large wallet would fit in the Lil Tripper.Though I like the look of the cup holders on the Lil Tripper .I'd like to get both.:-)

Nora
01-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Wow! Thanks for the review. Mine (also balck) should be here in a couple days and I cannot wait. I'm hoping it will work as my daily/quick trip bag for 2 babies? I use cloth diapers, so I need a big bag. I'm happy to hear that you think it holds more/or close to the Mothership - like someone mentioned, it works for me, but it is so hard and boxey and the shoulder strap is soooooo darn thick. I'm already loving the organization to it just from your post! Thanks again.

amp
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
That was a great review! And so many comparisons!

My main question is whether you find that it sits up on it's own, without having to try to prop or balance it, without falling over when full. No one else seems to complain about it, but I find that the LT falls over and it drives me nuts. Also my Skip hop falls over, but I expect that one too.

newmomto1
01-19-2005, 03:07 PM
My LT & S*H do that too & it really bugs me.
This bag is not tippy at all.
It has a wide base so it stands up well on it's own.
:-)

amp
01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much!

alaible
01-20-2005, 12:00 AM
Do you think this bag would be big enough for 2 kids for 3-4 hour outings? I am looking for a diaper bag for my husband to carry when our second baby arrives in March. He is on baby duty while I work part-time in the evening and currently has his own bag but it won't be big enough for 2 kids. Basically he would need some diapers for each, bottles for the baby, sippy for the toddler, change of clothes and blanket for baby, toys and snacks for the toddler. We don't really tend to be over packers but the toddler is a picky eater and requires lots of snacks to be packed.

I was trying to decide between this bag, the lands end backpack which is on clearance, and the mustard sprout dad bag. The mustard sprout bag seems to be a little bigger than this one but I really like the price of this one since the bag is for DH and he really isn't into taking good care of things like this.

SamSugaMomma
01-20-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the awesome review! I ordered mine last night and it's on its way!

traciann
01-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Newmom,

I was wondering how this bag compares to the Lands End Large Tailored Tote? Is the large tote alot bigger or similiar in size to the LL Bean? I have that one as a bigger all day/grandma bag...and was going to get the Lands End Little Tripper for an smaller bag. I gues I am asking if the LL Bean bag would be too similiar to the Large tote. But if the LT is smaller...maybe it would be better to do the LL Bean?

Thanks!
Traci

newmomto1
01-20-2005, 09:28 PM
It's totally different from the LE Large Tailored Tote.
I am sure the LE Lg Tote would probably hold more (since it expands so much)...but I find it awkward to carry when it's stuffed full (JMO).
I would say the LL Bean is like a "large" version of the LT (if that makes any sense).
HTH