PDA

View Full Version : For Any of You on the Fence About Purchasing a T&L Backpack (photos)...

audball
01-19-2005, 06:20 PM
I thought I would my feedback about the Timi and Leslie Bebe Backpack. I purchased the Mia Backpack at the last T&L sale for $75 ($12 to ship from CA to CA!). I had heard so many raves about the T&L bags and the backpacks in particular. Because I ended up purchasing at the tail end of the sale, I had to wait a little longer, but I got the extra interior pocket (they say "extra" but I think they just sewed a seam in the large, front interior pocket, so essentially there are two pockets there).

Things I liked:
+Very large. No problem accomodating snacks, diapers, bottle and sippy cups and all the other incidentals that go along having a 2.5 year old and a one year old.

+Padded, adjustable straps. Not as easy to maneuver as sport-like backpacks, but a step up from the sliding metal toggles and nylon straps we usually see.

+Pretty color combo. I know that T&L are known for their stylish bags, but I was pleasantly surprised at how "high-end" the fabric was for both the bag exterior, interior, and straps. The green is more of a kelly green than forest green, but it looks very nice against the chocolate brown nylon.

+The side zip. I don't know why more companies don't incorporate this into their design. It made it very easy to get things quickly without opening up the bag.

+Stands up on it's own. Need I say more.

Things I wasn't crazy about:
-The bulk. The flip side of the large size was the bulkiness of the bag. In addition, the vinyl coating (which isn't super shiny and seems very high quality) makes it tough to compress the bag's shape. I think I'm too used to the thinner rip-stop nylon on NorthFace or REI backpacks (even Land's End and Eddie Bauer use this more sporty nylon). Can't have the best of both worlds I guess. Of course, my brother didn't help by reminding me that the vinyl coating reminds *him* of our parents living room (yes, I'm Chinese, but it's not always a stereotype that Asians wrap their furniture in plastic/vinyl - I'm living proof that it is true...;)!).

-The drawstring. I think it needs some time to get worked in, but i felt like I was pulling the heck out of that puppy to get top tightly closed (again, the vinyl coating may contribute to the issue).

-The way it sat on my back. Most backpacks I have had in the past (diaper or no), sat flush against my back. For some reason, this backpack had a "gap" between my upper back and the straps. I think it's the duffel design with the stiffness of the vinyl.

So I took it out for a trial run today and it's very comfortable - comfortable enough for me to overlook the way it must be sitting on my back. I had to take a ton of snacks to the playpark (sometimes I feel like I feed a small country) and it was so easy to access! DS's bottle was still warm in the insulated pocket. I could throw sweaters in the cavity and it still packed up nicely. Lots of compliments on the style/color too.

I guess it's a keeper. I thought I would present another viewpoint, since I didn't see anyone mention anything potentially negative about the bag. Pics of the bag (I know there have been many shared) against a chester backpack (one I loved from the get-go).

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20084.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20085.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20086.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20087.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/20090.jpg

MichelleRC
01-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Great review!!
I wrote a very similar one back in May of last year. The T&L bags had not really been "discovered" by the BBBers yet so I bought my Mia backpack without much info.
I agree with everything you wrote--the positives and negatives. I loved the side zipper, spaciousness and pretty-ness of the bag, but the drawstring never really eased up and I could never get it tight enough either. It also didn't sit flat against my back, but I just assumed that it was because I am very short.
I really liked it and got numerous compliments every time I wore it, but I wound up selling mine to fund other bags. (My T&L large Bebe, however, has earned a spot in the permanent collection.) Hmmm, may have to give the Chester a shot...

hellokitty
01-20-2005, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the review. I'm not much of a backpack person, but I keep thinking maybe I will become one, b/c it would be nice to have two hands free, but I sling my babies too, so using a backpk isn't always easier. I was trying to decide btwn the T&L large bebe bag or the backpk, and after reading your review, I think I'm just getting the regular bebe. I don't like really bulky bags, esp backpk style, b/c I'm already short, and I tend to think bulky bags make me look dumpy.

BTW, I had to laugh at your vinyl covered furniture comment. Yes, I am taiwanese american. My mom had an obsession with putting clear vinyl on ALL of our dining room chairs (the butt part). My brothers and I never understood why. After yrs of wear and tear, the clear vinyl got old and cracked and I guess my mom gave up and never re-vinyled it (the velvet underneath is now pretty beat up), although she went with a really ugly industrial type black vinyl for the kichenette chairs, which IMO look hideous, but so far no cracks. I guess she must have gotten the idea from the taxi cabs in taiwan. Ever notice how all the taxi seats are covered in clear vinyl, and then they have those beaded things draped over it? Now, I find it funny that I am going out of my way to buy a vinyl covered bag, lol. Maybe I am more like my mom than I would like to admit.

audball
01-20-2005, 10:17 PM
If you are looking for a small backpack, I can't recommend the Chester backpacks enough. They are totally cool and hold quite a bit! The T&L backpack is a little bulky for my taste too, but the functionality (size and side zip) make me think I'll at least keep it around for the big trips. I did adjust the straps a little and it seems to fit a little better - but it does still "stick out" quite a bit. I don't think you could go wrong with the Large Bebe...everyone here really loves theirs.

That's funny about your family's vinyl covered furniture. See, I knew it couldn't just be my family :)...Maybe we'll corner the market on "retro-wouldn't-you-like-to-be-a-first-generation-asian-too" bags and make cracked vinyl bags with bad beading LOL!

hellokitty
01-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Lol, I bet I could find vinyl covered bags for cheap if I went shopping in taipai, esp at night market, BUT my mandarin is horrible, I suck at haggling, they would see me as a sucker from a mile away. :) Maybe next time my mom goes to visit family, I will ask to her to keep an eye out for a cute bag.

Yes, the chester is another bag that is of interest to me too, esp since they are so cute, and not as pricey. However, I do have a LL bean microfiber backpk/msger that does the job well (although it is nowhere as cute as the chester, it's got TONS of organization), but with baby #2 on the way, I want something BIG! My LE DIA could probably work, BUT it's one of the older styles that looks pretty utilitarian. I pretty much use that bag for airplane travel. Plus, I like the vinyl with the little feet and how pretty the T&L's are, lol.