PDA

View Full Version : which do you prefer - messenger bag or tote?

skohng
01-21-2005, 05:31 PM
hi all,

you all have opened my eyes! i was all ready to get a cheapo graco - i talked to DH about this board and he was like, "looks like your world just got rocked". :)

general question - which is more convenient, messenger or tote? i always carry totes, but i've never had to carry one around with a baby!! does it make that big of a difference?

Momof3Labs
01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
I much prefer a messenger bag with an adjustable strap. I can easily sling it across my body, so that I have both hands/arms completely free to deal with DS (plus I can lean over and push it back on my butt and pick DS up from his stroller - can't do that easily with a tote). Also, a messenger will sit nicely on the handles of almost any stroller, whereas a tote usually does not.

And messengers tend to close more securely (though there are totes out there that zip closed) and are more easily accessible if I need to grab a quick snack or sippy cup.

alaible
01-21-2005, 06:12 PM
I prefer a messenger that can be worn either on my shoulder or messenger style. For short trips I just throw it on my shoulder. For longer wearings I wear it messenger style. It keeps it more out of the way and makes it feel lighter when it is fully stuffed. I have a Kecci that can be worn on the shoulder, messenger style, or as a backpack.

Some totes have such short straps that you can't put them over your shoulder. You don't want to have to hold a bag while juggling a baby. But if you get a tote with long enough straps to put on your shoulder it could still work.

CiderLogan
01-22-2005, 02:13 PM
I prefer a messenger for the reasons PPs mentioned (although I used to only use tote styles before DD). However, I find it annoying to have to lift a messenger flap to get to anything (hard to do while in the grocery checkout line and holding DD, for instance), so I go for a bag on a long strap without a flap (that just zips at the top).

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

masetane
01-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I was just going to write what Jenny did. Messenger style is much easier and more flexible. Trust me, one strap is soooooo much easier. But the flap idea gets me so irritated. I like to just reach in to get what I want. I havne't found a good compromise except for the Skip Hop though - and that was too tall/narrow for me. Let us know what you get!!!
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

MamaKath
01-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Messenger definitely! I also find the flap annoying though and prefer a zip top. My favorites have been the SkipHop, and the Ameribag tote. The New LL Bean bag looks awesome, as does the Little Tripper.

HTH~

CiderLogan
01-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I posted here a couple of weeks ago about the new Lands End medium tote diaper bag, and I love it! It has the one long strap but no annoying flap. It is probably smaller than the Skip Hop but doesn't have the tall/narrow problem. Anyway, in case you're interested, there's a posting I made with pictures.

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03

skohng
01-24-2005, 12:37 AM
hm... a lot of the recent posts are making me lean towards the llbean bag! totes are very pretty but you ladies are helping me see that practicality wins out.

newmomto1
01-24-2005, 01:21 AM
The LL Bean Bag ROCKS!!!!
Just my two cents :-)