PDA

View Full Version : Thank you re: SkipHop and Escape Pod...m

MamaKath
01-22-2005, 06:59 PM
I am not sure who had posted originally about how the SkipHop worked so much better with an Escape Pod in it. I purchased an Escape Pod wanna-be at Walmart. I wanted one that was clear so I could easily find things in it, and they had them for less than $10. :-) It has made the SkipHop even better for holding everything I need it too!

In the bottom of the main bag, I have the clear Escape Pod wanna-be with the following contents: 5 size 5 diapers, a hard wipes case, a disposable changing pad, a large tube of Lansinoh, small pack of tissues, some money, hand cream, 5 toy horses, 2 toys cars, a small book, a small sunscreen stick, two large bells on laces (the jingle lets me know where the kids are when we are out and they are holding them), a couple small character toys, and I am sure I am missing a couple other small items. Then in the inside compartments I have an outfit for DS in one pocket, one for DD in the other. In the top zip compartments I have snacks in one, my wallet and keys in the other. In the outside front pockets I have a small planner (takes up one whole pocket though), and two waters for the kids. The mesh bottle holder has my water, the cell phone pocket my phone. In the back I took out the changing pad and put in a notebook and file folder so I can work on my prep stuff when needed.

Honestly the little inside bag makes all the difference since it really compacts that stuff together. It also makes it easy to leave behind the little guys stuff when I need too. So a big old THANK YOU to the lady who clued me in to the secret of making this bag work for me!!!!!!!!!

jesseandgrace
01-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Thank you, that was me, and I really think it works so well in the skip hop, I might have to go get a wanna-be too so I can have one in each!

MamaKath
01-23-2005, 08:51 PM
If you have multiple Walmarts check them to see if they carry different ones. I was at a different Walmart today (no heat or electric so I had to do something with the kids, lol ;-)) and they had a slightly different one for the same price. It was a bit larger, and also had 2 small removable pouches instead of the little lotion bottles mine came with. I didn't have the SkipHop with me or I would have tried it, but I think it might work even better, just fill the space more completely. Mine fills the space, but leaves enough extra that I keep thinking "Hmm what would fit in there still" iykwim. :-)

Thank you again though. :-)

ginamlee
01-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Is this Escape Pod wanna-be on Walmart's website? I never shop at Walmart and wouldn't begin to know where to look. I'd love to be able to see a photo before trying to navagate the store. What section did you find it in? We are taking a trip in March and my Skip Hop is the bag that I prefer for travel. This Escape Pod wanna-be sounds like it would really help the functionality!

masetane
01-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Can you post a pic of this little bag - I am very intrigued now!!
Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

MamaKath
01-23-2005, 10:09 PM
Not on their site. I wish I never shopped at Walmart, but there is not much here, lol. I have seen similar ones places like CVS and Target, though Walmart was the only place I see the clear ones on a pretty regular basis, something that I prefer since it is going inside a bag. I have seen a few that include a strap to use it as a purse while on the go.

The Walmart ones: Made by Modello and many are just under $9.00. They are in the cosmetics section with the other cosmetic and shaving bags. The one I got is the "PVC Organizational Traveler" and the label states "Includes: *Large Compartment *Mesh compartment *Toothbrush Holder *Soap Holder *2 Bottles". Each store seems to vary their selection, however that is the only spot I have seen them in any of them. I have never seen them with the purses or travel/luggage.

Target: Target seems to carry a bunch of more trendy looking ones. They have them in the cosmetic section or the Travel/Luggage section; usually in black and one seasonal vinyl (usually stripes or dots or something similar). In the luggage area they often seem to be dubbed "weekender" and often come with a strap to use it as a purse. Theirs also are a bit more expensive running around $20. They also often have a bunch by cosmetics in a bunch of bright colors and fun print vinyls. They run in the same price range as the ones in the travel section their. Here are a few from their site...
http://www.target.com/gp/search.html/ref=/602-8354569-1205410?%5Fencoding=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1041790&field-keywords=cosmetic%2Borganizer

GL and have fun shopping! :-)HTH~

MamaKath
01-23-2005, 10:42 PM
You are lucky tonight, it is sitting here and so is the camera. I'll see if I can get these to upload. :-)

First photo- closed bag, next to the label. clear plasitc side up (has my diapers, wipes case, disposable changing pad made from a plastic table cloth ;-)) which zips at the top, but not all the way around. perfect access for diapers though.

Second photo- bag opened on the other side. mesh side does open all the way around, making it really easy to get anything that may have fallen to the bottom there. you can see all the little toys, they all fit just fine when zipped!

Third photo- mesh side all zipped, see it fits! :-)

Fourth photo- all the contents of the bag minus the wipes case which fell on the floor and didn't get added back in, lol. lots of little odds and ends though!

HTH~ :-)

ginamlee
01-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Thank you! You are a gem!

The ones at Target are cute, but I also like the idea of a clear bag. I'll be checking out Walmart tomorrow or Tuesday!

audball
01-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Kath that's a really cool bag. I'm just laughing at all the teeny-tiny toys...that probably are "treasures" and if you lose just one all heck breaks out (at least in our house).

Why can't kids love big things that they hold themselves ?! :) LOL Or at least things that are easily replaceable ;)

MamaKath
01-23-2005, 11:02 PM
They do love big things too, lol, but these are the treasures to hopefully entertain on a whim without being choking hazards. ;-) The big things I end up holding which makes me even crazier. Notice that there are at least two of each of the small toys, the fighting drives me crazy too!

I bought dd a doll carrier/frontpack because I couldn't take juggling her dollies too. Luckily it has clips because it ends up clipped to the stroller handlebar because "I can't hold this anymore Mommy! It is too uncomfortable." ;-)

lisak
01-29-2005, 04:18 PM
I just wanted to thank you for posting this great detailed review and for the pictures you shared. I do like my Skip Hop a lot, but its kinda bulky w/ things in each pocket. I will have to go check out Walmart or Target and give this organizer a try.

Question though, now that you use the clear organizer, what do you put in the zippered compartments and mesh pockets in your skip hop?

TIA!

MamaKath
01-30-2005, 11:03 PM
I actually got a slightly different organizer the other day (at Walmart again, on clearance, lol, closer in size to the Fluerville than the first one) to try, and have been trying them in various bags. Same stuff in each when I try them. I like using them.

As for the rest of my stuff. I keep the diapering and toys in the organizer in the bottom of the bag. I put a lightwieght outfit for ds, pair of undies for dd and a couple granola bars into the interior bottom pockets. In the zip pockets I put my wallet, keys, and more snacks. In the outer pockets I put my water, cell, and organizer. The back pocket, I usually slide in a notebook or magazine.

HTH~

lisak
01-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Kath,

Do you mind sharing pictures of the other organizer?
In your opinion, which works better for the skip hop?

TIA,

skohng
01-31-2005, 08:54 PM
WOW- this is amazing! i was hesitant to get the skiphop b/c i thought you couldn't fit a lot in...but this walmart bag makes all the difference!!!!

who knew good storage could make a woman so happy :)

MamaKath
01-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Hi Lisa,
I will post pics soon, dh has the camera. I am liking the newer one, it is a tad thinner but a tad wider too. I can put a couple things in the pockets inside more easily, and their isn't the space at the end of the bag. I find the longer but thinner one easier to pull out when I need it. It is more like the actual Escape Pod, in that the center just zippers open, then either side is a zippered section. No additional pockets though inside, outside has a flat mesh pocket; it would hold a few dollar bills maybe but not much else.

We used it the other day in a restaruant just pulling it out and leaving the big bag in the trunk, lol. But honestly both make this really good bag absolutely GREAT in my opinion. If you hit Walmart, they don't have too many options it is worth a look-see.

HTH~ (I will add pics when dh gets back on the weekend.)

Rach3975
02-01-2005, 12:27 AM
I'd be interested to know what the name or dimensions of the thinner one is. I checked out the bigger one, the Weekender, but it's too big for me. I don't think my Walmart has this newer one. I'm currently using a black X&O cosmetic bag that fits a few diapers, wipes case, disposable changing pad, and tube of Vaseline. I have space left in the Skip Hop to put a Snack Trap next to it, and still have 1/3 of the compartment open for whatever I need to throw in. I may end up sticking with what I have, but I'd like to see if there's anything even better!

Rach3975
02-02-2005, 10:02 PM
I don't know if anyone is still searching for one of these, but I found a bunch at Target. I got a black one, the Med Weekender, on clearance for under $4 (originally $14.99). It zips open to reveal a clear zip compartment on one side and a mesh zip compartment on the other. There are handles on it, and it's nice enough looking to carry on its own, too. It was in the luggage section and also comes in a larger size, now on clearance for about $8. If plain black isn't your thing, the cosmetic section has 3 very similar bags: peach with black lace, stripes, and translucent pink. Those go for $14.99-$16.99.

I haven't played with it yet, but at this price it was worth it! If it doesn't work as well as the bag I'm currently using, I'll probably keep it stocked and separate as a super-quick trip bag. (DS and I ran out to 7-11 today, and I brought only my wallet and phone thinking we'd be back in 15 minutes. My car wouldn't start for a while, and though I eventually got it started, I had visions of having to wait hours for AAA with no supplies or toys for DS. I'll never do that again!)

Rach3975
02-02-2005, 10:12 PM
I just checked Target's website, and the 4 I saw this afternoon are not shown online.