PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the new LLBean Diaper Bag

mams99
01-24-2005, 02:21 PM
So, I went to the Tyson's Corner LLBean and sure enough, they are there. They only had the black with lime, but it was all I needed to get a "feel" for the bag.

My first question is this: what are the two small insulated pockets on the outside for? Is this supposed to be for baby food? And one for a small bottle? I didn't quite get that.

But, more importantly...does anyone else find this type of material damaging to clothes.

I college I had a messenger bag made of that typical backpack material and I found that it nubbed up my sweaters and any knit style pants I had . The material is just so course, that I worry about the constant rubbing on my clothes. I buy GOOD clothes, so I don't want to ruin them. That's why I switched to a leather messenger for grad school and stick to leather purses and such too.

Otherwise it's a great diaper bag with a GREAT shoulder strap and rubber "thingee" for support.

Oh, and another gripe (though not unique to LLBean)...why do they make changing mats SO SMALL??? I don't know about you, but when I put my baby down on those changing tables, I don't want ANY of him touching that plastic "lord knows what's been there" changing surface! It's no biggee to go buy another one, but I feel these little ones are a waste of space and material!

ANy thoughts?

Melissa

26 weeks today!!

Mikesa3
01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I can comment on the changing pads.I think they are made to protect surfaces from baby's bottoms not really to protect baby.I've rarely use public changing tables so don't have much experience with them.I use a receiving blanket for changes in the stroller or van.Just my 2 cents.
BTW did the bag say those side pockets are insulated? I just figured they were cellphone pockets. Did the bag look too big to be a toddlar bag?
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

mams99
01-24-2005, 03:30 PM
You know, I did't read any of the tags on the bag!!! Which is SOOOO unlike me!

So...I don't know what they call the pockets. I just know that they are squishier than a little flap of fabric stuck on the side - or even lining and the outer fabric. But... then it could just be for more protection. On their web page I think I see a pacifier sticking out of the top one... so probably not insulated, but definitely more stubstantially padded than the front pouch area.

Melissa

pittsburghgirl
01-24-2005, 03:39 PM
I haven't seen the LL Bean bag IRL yet so I can't comment on that.

However re: the changing pad thing... if you aren't opposed to using something disposable for environmental reasons, then you might consider getting some disposable underpads (in the incontinence aisle). They are very large, cover the entire changing tables in public restrooms and are cheap. I no longer carry the changing pads that came with any of my diaper bags b/c these are easier. I fold up & reuse a couple of times generally unless the changing area is particularly gross or I get something on the pad.

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050120/1/0/1/-5/.png

Toba
01-25-2005, 12:15 AM
I don't know what those pockets are "made" for, but I can tell you what I have in mine. In the top one, I put my cell phone and a tube of Lancome Juicy Tubes in there. In the bottom one, I have a large bottle of Tylenol infant drops (which fits perfectly in there standing up, just to give you an idea of how big it is), Hyland's Teething Tablets, Mylicon and a small brush.

I never use the changing pads that come with diaper bags for the reason you mentioned ... they just aren't big enough. That and it grosses me out to put a changing pad that has touched God knows what back into my ultra clean diaper bag where my son's food and EBM are. Yuck. The LL Bean diaper bag is nice because the changing pad pocket is on the outside of the bag, away from everything else. I have just gotten so used to using the Huggies disposable pads. In reality, I rarely use them though, as we do most of the changing in his Peg P3 with it fully reclined. Much more convienent (and cleaner) than those Koala changing stations, kwim?

~Kimberly Anne~
Noah Nevan, March 12, 2004
*the light of my life*