PDA

View Full Version : which to get? one cool chick or chester?

mom2lukas
01-25-2005, 03:32 PM
i need a new bag!

i picked up the new ll bean diaper bag this weekend (at tysons corner), thinking it was going to be "the" bag (so many people love it!), and although i really like it for organization, the size is too close to the skip hop i have. my skip hop is good for day trips, but i want something a bit smaller for quick trips. so nfortunately, it's going back...

my dilemma: one cool chick large messenger (lilac blossom or chocolate orchid - anyone have pics of these IRL?, although i'm not a big leopard print person) or chester blackberry tote. for those who have either, what are the pros and/or cons?? what can the pockets of the OCC fit? they seem pretty flat. i want to use the bag as a purse/diaper bag duo. kinda kill two birds with one stone.

thanks in advance!!!!
joey :)

by the way, i have been a lurker for a long time! (the baby bargains book was practically my Bible when i was shopping for my first kid last year!) i finally decided to participate! this is a great community!! :)

audball
01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Let me start off by saying that I have neither (some help, huh? :)), but my $.02 is it really depends on what kind of person you are: tote or messenger. I have the Chester in the classic tote style and while I think it's a great size and very lightweight, it doesn't have a lot of internal organization. I was going to ask you if you were looking at the Classic or the Diaper tote style (which I heard is a little bigger). The Diaper tote may be better organization-wise. The Chester fits on my shoulder comfortably, but if I had a large jacket on, it may not fit quite as easily. The Blackberry is a cute style but not "Wow!"

The OCC is really beautiful (really "WOW" IMHO)! My only concern is that the interior looks really busy (with the print). I have enough trouble finding stuff as it is, even in my light-color interior bags! But I would think that the messenger style is a little more practical.

Did you consider maybe the Timbuk2 Metro? It's a cute shape and there was some pics here of someone who used it for short trips. Again, not a ton of internal organization...but the shape was nice. If you do a search on Timbuk2 Metro or Timbuk2 I think you will find it.

Andrea5flk
01-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Ok I have both. I love both of them. FOr different reasons.

OCC---I am also not a big leopard print fan, at all, but it is inside, nad it is such a nice compliment to the bag, IMO. I think others will tell you the same. The OCC is the perfect bag for a purse and a diaper bag. I have the small and the large on order. It is such a great size. Everything just fits so nicely. The pockets I use for my cell phone, pen, nail file, tictacs, pictures. Stuff like that. It is so well made, and even though it it silk, ihave used it every day since i got it and am amazed by it. I am dying for the large, even though it wont be till March, I think I could use that one and never get another bag, but we all know that that will not happen!!! I need it to be a smidge bigger to fit 2 sippy cups. WONDERFUl customer service. Caroline is so nice, adn I know even after the co-op I will be ordering form her again!!!

Chester--I had the tote, has lots of pockets, 2 outside and 2 inside bottle pockets, inside zippered pocket and 2 pockets on the other side that iused for diapers and wipes. Very light, the vinyl is one of the best I have seen. THe handles are short, my onyl issue, but I loved the bags os much that it dint bother me. I could use it for a quick trip or hours out. Also has EXCELLENT customer service. I ordered a diaper bag in candy, well I had the flourette and exchanged it for the cnady stripe.

SO I am all for getting both. If you order the OCC it will be a wait, I think it is up to April now. WELL WORTH waiting for!! CHester==the sale price and GREAT coupon code a fellow board member was nice enough to arrange for us makes it an even better deal. Then you can try a Chester out and send it backif you dont like it.

HTH a little, any other questions ask away!!!

mom2lukas
01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
thanks for your $02! :)

i love organization (that's why i love my skip hop), thus i was thinking the chester, but i think i like the look of the OCC better. except for the leopard print! i mean, it's ok, but then again, i'm pretty "safe" when it comes to bags. all of my purses are black! so it is something "different" for me.

i've looked at the timbuk2s but i think they are just a bit too sporty. i guess i want something girlie so it can pass as a purse too.

right now i'm leaning more towards the OCC, but wish it had more organization!

mom2lukas
01-25-2005, 09:21 PM
so, let me get this straight: you have an OCC and then you have two more on order??? if that's the case, you must REALLY love OCC! (by the way, which ones did you get?)

i think i'm leaning towards the OCC, it is beautiful and everyone who has one has raved about it! i better make a decision soon! only a few more days until the co-op is over!

i was looking at the round chester tote (as opposed to the diaper tote). it's cute and practical, but i guess the short straps would prob drive me crazy. i need to have the bag on my shoulder. i hate carrying bags on my forearm!

anyways, i'll let you know what i decide WHEN i decide! decisions decisions! THANKS for your input!!! :)

priscilla73
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
nt

priscilla73
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I have them all and like them for different reasons.

CHESTER

DIAPER TOTE (Rounded corners) I have this in Candy Stripe. It is nice and light with a pretty print and lots of pockets for organization.

DIAPER BACKPACK I have this in Florette and it is also nice and light w/ pockets. It's very comfortable to wear. I did a review w/ pics the other day.

The Chester people were nice enough to organize a discount for us. It's for 10% off and free shippping. Use code JAN05 and enter it into the comments section.

ONE COOL CHICK

I have both the Small and Large Messengers. I can't express enough how beautiful and well made these bags are.

Small- It's more for a quick trip diaper bag where you might only need to bring you own items along w/ a diaper and wipes. It doesn't come w/ a bottle pocket so I'd suggest that you order it w/ one to help keep things organized. I also did a review on this the other day and you can see pictures of my Pewter Bamboo bag there.

Large- This is great for a diaper bag. I added the extra bottle pocket and it is so nice to have for my own bottle of water, cell phone, camera, etc. This bag is also very comfortable to wear and it so beautiful. You can pack this bag light or heavy and it will work just as well. I will post a review w/ pics on my Chocolate Orchid very soon.

I LOVE these bags so much that I also arranged a Group Discount for Babybags mommies. You can find the details at the Babybags Yahoo group. I just recently put an order in for my third OCC in small.

Both of these companies have excellent customer service and it was a pleasure working with them to arrange discounts for our groups.

mom2lukas
01-27-2005, 08:54 AM
priscilla,
i have to first say you are AWESOME for organizing the discounts for babybags moms!!! i did see your reviews on both Chester and OCC bags. very beautiful bags (and great reviews).

i think i am still leaning towards the OCC. i don't think i've read one bad thing about these bags. however i'm thinking the small may be too small, and the big may be too big, but we are planning for baby #2, so maybe i'll order the large and save it for when there is a #2! i heard orders won't be ready until april now anyways!

so here are the colors i am thinking:
1. lilac blossom (very subtle, and the pockets match. i'm a very plain jane "safe" "all my bags are black" type of gal!)
2. tan dragon (although i can't quite make out the color, is it more tan or more pink?)
3. chocolate orchid (maybe it was your picture on the babybags yahoo group? but i only saw under the flap, would love to see the outside flap. dh doesn't like the coral pockets tho. he is "safe" too. hahaha!)

oh, question: the small messenger has a magnetic closure and the large has velcro, correct?

thanks again!

lmariana
01-27-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi Joey, not Priscilla, but I thought I'd answer your questions too...

You can choose either velcro or magnetic closures on either bag! I got one with magnet and one with velcro. Although I'm not a velcro person, at all, I really prefer it of the magnetic. Just my opinion though!

I have the chocolate orchid and the plum orchid, they are both gorgeous!! I love these bags, and they have actually appeased me from bag-buying for a while, which is a miracle. :)

Have fun!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

priscilla73
01-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Joey,

The Tan Dragon is the same fabric as that in the PPB Shimp Roll. Looks like this:
http://www.poshtots.com/catalog/product_detail.asp?product_id=3351

The Chocolate Orchid is very pretty and it is a neutral color with coral pockets.

I have both the magnetic and the velcro closure. I do have to say that they work best with the velcro and STRONGLY suggest that you order it with velcro. I requested magnetic closure and it is available but you know what they say: Ya can't mess with perfection ;)

Priscilla

mom2lukas
01-27-2005, 12:20 PM
ok, ok! i will order the velcro! :)

i saw the link to the tan dragon (thanks priscilla!), and i don't like it anymore. i don't care much for gold and the dragons are in gold according to PPB. (i'm a silver person)

mariana, how is the plum of the plum orchid? i was looking at that one too, but i kept looking at the image on the OCC site and it just looks really bright. is that because of the flash? how purple is it? any possibility of posting/emailing me a pic of both the chocolate and plum orchid? (pretty please!)

no one has really commented on the lilac blossom. not a crowd favorite? lol.

thanks!

babystarfish
01-28-2005, 11:39 AM
If you look on the OCC website www.onecoolchick.com there is a phot of a 'cool chick' Amy..I believe and she is carrying the Large Messenger in Tan Dragon. I have a swatch and don't think it is gold at all.

HTH!

mom2lukas
01-28-2005, 12:56 PM
i did see "cool chick amy", which is why i liked the tan dragon, but priscilla sent me a link of the same pattern used in PPB and it said the dragons are gold. so i gotta say no to tan dragon!

but thank you!

btw, i am still down to: lilac blossom, chocolate orchid, or plum orchid (just don't know how "bright" plum is tho). i only have a couple days to decide!

priscilla73
01-28-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey Joey,

If I remember correctly, the Tan Dragon color really depends on the lighting.

I have a picture of Mariana's Plum Orchid that I'll try and email to you. I can't post it here for some reason.