PDA

View Full Version : For those looking at the LL Bean Bag but wanting something slightly smaller...

MamaKath
01-26-2005, 06:43 PM
I emailed them in regards to their Diaper Bag vs their similar Travel Touring bag (style is very similar, but was listed in 2 sizes). Here is my email to them and their response. I am not sure if I can format the response better so I will need to leave it the way it is, you'll have to scrool to read all the info. Basically it appears the Diaper Bag is the larger version of Travel Touring bag with a few minor changes, and the Travel Touring bag comes also in a slightly smaller size. HTH someone. :-)

My email-
>I am interested in knowing the differences between the following 3
bags-
>1.) new Diaper Bag
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40299&sc1=Search&feat=sr
>2.) Travel Touring bag in regular size
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=35996&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&shop_method=pp&feat=ln
>3.) Travel Touring bag in large
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=35996&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&productId=624060&display_id=47148&feat=ln&catalog_id=TA&from=&rtnComp=
>
>I have seen detailed pictures from a friend of the new diaper bag, and love many of the features. I am concerned however that it may be too large. I also am interested in knowing more regarding the other 2. Though one is Large and the other is Regular they both have the same photo and measurements. I am wondering what the true measurements for each are. I am also wondering about their interiors (colors, organization, pockets, etc) especially when compared to the actual diaper bag. Any
information and pictures would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

And their response (which was so quick, it was great!):

Thank you for contacting L.L.Bean about comparing the three different
items.

I will copy and paste the size information for you.

First is the diaper bag:

DIMENSIONS:

HEIGHT:
13"
WIDTH:
12"
DEPTH:
5 3/4"

POCKETS:

FRONT FLAP:
5"H X 9 1/2"W ZIPPERED.
UNDER FLAP:
9 1/4"H X 11 1/2"W X 2"D (AT TOP).
BACK SLEEEVE:
10"H X 12"W VELCRO CLOSURE AT CENTER.
TOP SIDE:
3 1/2"H X 4 3/4" X 1 1/4"D
BOTTOM SIDE:
5"H X 5 3/5"W X 1 1/2"D

INTERIOR:

MAIN COMPART:
11"H X 13"W

7 3/4"H X 12 1/2"W MESH POCKET

INTERIOR:

UNDER FLAP:
ORGANIZER SECTION IN POCKET UNDER FLAP.
SECURITY:
5 1/2"H X 6 1/4"W ZIPPERED POCKET.
MIDDLE SLEEVE:
4 1/2"H X 6 1/4"W SLEEVE POCKET.
CREDIT CARDS:
3 1/4"H X 3"W (2) SLEEVE POCKETS.
KEY HOLDER:
6" LONG ELASTIC STRAP WITH SWIVEL HOOK.

SHOULDER STRAP:
40" LONG - ADJUSTABLE FOR SHORTER LENGHTS.

1 1/2" WIDE.

Next the Regular size touring bag:

DIMENSIONS:

HEIGHT:
11"
WIDTH:
11 3/4"
DEPTH:
4 1/2"

POCKETS:

FRONT FLAP:
4"H X 8 1/4"W ZIPPERED.
UNDER FLAP:
6 1/2"H X 8 1/4"W X 3/4"D (AT TOP).
BACK SLEEEVE:
6 3/4"H X 11"W VELCRO CLOSURE AT CENTER.

INTERIOR:

MAIN COMPART:
6"H X 11"W SLEEVE POCKET INSIDE MAIN COMPARTMENT.

VELCRO CLOSURE AT CENTER.

INTERIOR:

UNDER FLAP:
SECURITY:
MIDDLE SLEEVE:
CREDIT CARDS:
KEY HOLDER:

SHOULDER STRAP:
41 1/2" LONG - ADJUSTABLE FOR SHORTER LENGHTS.

1" WIDE.

And now the Large travel touring bag:

DIMENSIONS:

HEIGHT:
13"
WIDTH:
12"
DEPTH:
5 3/4"

POCKETS:

FRONT FLAP:
5"H X 9 1/2"W ZIPPERED.
UNDER FLAP:
9 1/4"H X 11 1/2"W X 2"D (AT TOP).
BACK SLEEEVE:
10"H X 12"W VELCRO CLOSURE AT CENTER.
TOP SIDE:
3 1/2"H X 4 3/4" X 1 1/4"D
BOTTOM SIDE:
5"H X 5 3/5"W X 1 1/2"D

INTERIOR:

MAIN COMPART:
11"H X 13"W

7 3/4"H X 12 1/2"W MESH POCKET

INTERIOR:

UNDER FLAP:
SECURITY:
MIDDLE SLEEVE:
CREDIT CARDS:
KEY HOLDER:

SHOULDER STRAP:
40" LONG - ADJUSTABLE FOR SHORTER LENGHTS.

1 1/2" WIDE.

We hope that you find this information helpful. Feel free to contact us
if you have an other questions.

Thank you for contacting L.L. Bean. Please let us know if you would
like further assistance. We are available 24 hours a day for your
convenience.

Sincerely,

John K
L.L.Bean Customer Service
1-800-441-5713
www.llbean.com

Nina31
01-26-2005, 07:00 PM
The LL Bean Spring Traveler catalog has a photo of both Travel Touring bags. It's on page 24. The large is behind the regular size. It looks identical to the Diaper Bag! All the outside pockets are the same. Unfortunately, there isn't a photo of the interior. It's also hard to tell if the large has a shoulder strap. If you click on the Shop by Catalog link on LLBean's homepage, it can lead you the Spring Traveler catalog. Pretty interesting!

Mikesa3
01-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the more info.It does sound like the large bag is just like the diaper bag except no changing pad of course.I noticed in the catalog it comes in several colors so more choices.Yay! The smaller is different,it doesn't have the two side pockets or the shoulder strap pad,otherwise it would be just what I'd want.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

MamaKath
01-26-2005, 08:54 PM
peak some interest. :-) I may call to see what the interior color of the navy is. The black diaper bag is sharp though.

MamaKath
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM
for pointing out the picture!!! At least it opens some color options since it is the same bag. I am kind of digging the lime inside the green, but I have to convince myself this is the right bag. It and one other are calling my name. Now I just have to wait for the money from my Christmas gift returns and I can try some of these out. :-)

Mikesa3
01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
$29 for the large bag so it you don't need another changing pad you can save $7. It doesn't mention light color lining? Do you know for sure it has it?

bubbaray
01-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Is it just my aging eyes, or does the large touring bag NOT have the 2 end pockets (on the end that doesn't have the water bottle holder)?

That might be the deal breaker for me -- I think those pockets would come in handy for my cell phone and a small packet of kleenex.

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

Mikesa3
01-26-2005, 11:42 PM
It's not shown in the picture but in the catalog it shows them.Also if you look at the description.They're just not on the smaller one.The only thing I'm not sure about it the shoulder pad.HTH

meshell
01-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Nancy:

I emailed CS to find out the differences between this bag and the diaper bag...especially since it has a lower price. Here's what they told me:

"Thank you very much for contacting L.L.Bean today about diaper bags.

The internal organizations are not the same. The diaper bag has several more compartments.

Also, the black diaper bag has a black interior not a lime green interior.

The black Travel Touring Bag has a black interior."

HTH!
Michelle

Rach3975
01-27-2005, 01:33 AM
Just discovered this board a few days ago, and so far it has been very helpful in my search for a new diaper bag to use with my 15 month old. When I saw this thread, I finally had something to give back!

When I went to the Tyson's store this weekend to see the new LL Bean bag, I noticed the smaller travel touring bag and was considering it. I finally decided on the large one, which they had to order for me since it isn't in yet. At the time, I thought it was the same as the smaller size--ie, no end pockets. They're practical, but there's something about them that I think makes the bag look unbalanced and a bit too rugged. I'm waiting for the large one to arrive, but here's what I know so far.

The smaller Travel Touring bag does not have a light colored interior or a pad on the shoulder strap. It has a more purse-like feel than the diaper bag, which I liked. Outside it has the mesh bottle/cup holder on one side, and the other side is plain. In the main compartment, there is one open pocket against the back wall but no mesh compartment on the front wall. Between the front pocket and the small pocket in the main compartment, I was just able to fit my personal things (cell phone, small wallet, keys, PDA, checkbook). The main compartment had room for a Snack Trap, a small toy, and the cosmetic bag I use to hold 3 sz 4 diapers, a wipes case, disposable changing pad, and vaseline. The slash pocket on the bag of the bag was just big enough for a magazine. Once I had all that in, the bag didn't really have extra room for those things you inevitably have to throw in, which is what made me finally decide it was too small. One other thing--I saw someone on another post say that they keep their diapering stuff in the front zip compartment of the LL Bean diaper bag. I tried that on the diaper bag and it worked wonderfully, but it doesn't work on the smaller Travel Touring Bag.

From what I can tell, the exterior of the Large Travel Touring Bag is identical to the diaper bag. The 2 things I'm most interested to see are whether it has a light interior and mesh 3-section pocket on the front wall of the main compartment. I'll let you know what I find when it gets here.

Mikesa3
01-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Bad that the lining is dark on the Touring bag though.I was going by the description that Kath got from LL Bean that listed all the same pockets but realize now that they only list one inside for the diaper bag.I guess they goofed on that.

MamaKath
01-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Oh that is a bummer. It is sounding more and more like the d.b. is worth the couple extra $. The lighter lining itself is worth it I think (for me). Good to know the interior is different though before I order.

mams99
01-27-2005, 11:32 PM
I was at the LLBean store to get some skiing stuff for DS and there sitting on the shelf was a LLBean blue diaper bag right next to the tour bag - it didn't say small or large, so I'm not sure which it was! At first glance they looked very similar, but they are quite different. The tour bag is DEFINITELY smaller and looks so.

And all the flaps and such are flat without expansion room. This is especially the case of the front pocket area. I would find this to be a major drawback. Someone else has already mentioned the dark interior.

I just don't see that the LLBean diaper bag would be too big for someone. It CAN be stuffed, but that doesn't mean that it looks too big otherwise. It's a nice medium size bag that stays flat unless you expand it with "stuff".

The only thing I don't like is that the top doesn't open wide as it's zipped into the shoulder carrying part. It's the same for the tour bags. So, if you are looking for that spoon that slid out, you will need to dig a bit instead of opening the bag wider to see it. But that's a minor nit pick!

Melissa

mrsmac
01-28-2005, 11:31 AM
I am thinking of selling the Ice Blue Skip Hop I just bought (NWT - never used) in exchange for this bag (Diaper in powder blue). I just think the Skip Hop is going to be a bit too narrow for me (I'm a bit of a packrat). Can anyone compare these two for me? It seems as if they are about the same height and width but the LLBean is deeper.
Anyone interested in my Skip Hop? :)
Thanks,
Tanya