PDA

View Full Version : anyone have this Lands End Large Tailored Tote diaper bag?

sunflowerseeds
01-28-2005, 04:41 PM
http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,1467,1_2_1943_47583_100006_78453_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=ALT_47583&sid=6043174386719127180

I got this as a gift from DH's work in Dark Thistle. It's really nice with pouches and mesh pouches here and there. Very roomy! Also, the diaper pad in this on is large! I'll definitely use it. But I'm not sure about the diaper bag itself.

It's doesn't have long enough straps to swing over the shoulder one handed [my elbows get caught]. Any ideas from crafty people on what I can do? Sew on some longer shoulder straps? Any ideas without ruining the look of the bag.

It seems awfully big though. I know I'll max out the space since I have the space. I think I'll use it to pack my hospital stuff for the birth of my 2nd baby.

Any comments on the daily use of this bag?

Thanks!

MichelleRC
01-28-2005, 06:52 PM
I got this bag in the reddish color to use for travel or overnight trips. IMO, It is too much bag to use as an everyday, short trip kind of thing though.
I recently took it with me when we flew to Houston for the weekend and it worked out really well. I had my diapering supplies, on one side, bottles for the baby and snacks for the toddler on the other and my stuff (wallet, cell, cosmetic bag and a paperback book) in the middle. When I had to show my ID at security I knew exactly where my wallet was and did not have to go digging around. The other thing I really liked was that all 3 compartments zipper shut so I didn't have to worry about stuff spilling out on the plane.
I think it will definitely have life after baby as a carry-on bag or work bag. The straps are kind of short, but I live in Florida & don't wear a heavy coat, and i am petite, so they were not much of a problem to me.
HTH!

holliam
01-28-2005, 08:07 PM
I have it but our baby isn't home yet so I haven't used it (we're adopting). I really love it for a "going to be out of the house all day" type of bag. But, we are cloth diapering, and those take up a ton of space compared to disposables. So, it might be too big for a non-cloth diapering mama.

Holli

Rach3975
01-28-2005, 09:46 PM
Lands End is great about returns. If you're not sure about the bag, I'd return it. If you decide to keep it and do something about the straps, what about adding a removable shoulder strap? You could go to a travel/luggage store and buy one of the attachable straps with a pad. Something like this:

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/?PID=787&SC=98781&PN=Travel%20Accessories&KW=Luggage%20strap

Then buy something to attach the strap to at the sewing store, and only attach those 2 small pieces permanently to your bag.

MamaKath
01-28-2005, 11:55 PM
I have this in another color/fabric. I love it for traveling. I actually purchase one for each child to use as a suitcase. Keeps all their stuff really organized (almost like a dresser, shirts and pants in one spot, nighties, undies, socks, and more in another). Having matching ones is great for spotting them when we do travel too. That said I don't use it as a diaper bag. I probably wouldn't without a longer strap since I tend to stuff it so full I can't put it over my arm, lol.

HTH~

sunflowerseeds
01-29-2005, 01:20 AM
Thank you all for commenting. I will keep it...it does make a great over night/travel bag. And I'm really impressed with all the compartments for organization and the great size diaper pad!

And knowing some of you have taken in on planes and on your travels, I know it'll work!

rach3975: Thanks for that tip...I'm definitely going to look into modifying this bag's strap. You've got a creative mind!

JennyLynn
01-29-2005, 08:04 PM
I just got this bag and I agree, the straps are too short. When will Lands End ever get it right? I bought some 1" wide black webbing at Hancock Fabrics and am planning to remove the current straps and replace them with it (just machine sew it in place). I also removed the velcro from the hidden side pocket since I don't like the rough side scratching my hand as I reach in.

This bag is pretty large for an quick trip bag, but it is great for all day outings. I also occasionally take DS to work and I like having a somewhat professional looking bag that can accommodate an entire day's worth of his stuff as well as my laptop, files, etc. I also think I will be glad for the extra space if and when DC #2 comes along.

Jenny

boys2enough
01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi, I have the same style but in Pink Stripes when they were on clearance. IMO, the bag is too big (and probably too heavy too just b/c of the 3 layers it has) for everyday use.

Just want to second the suggestion for long/overnight outing use: It has become my "airplane" bag. Granted that it's a pain sometimes because the straps are not long enough over winter jacket (for me) and I sometimes wished I had a backpack with me when I was juggling everything but the kitchen sink that we carried with us when flying. I do love the organization the bag can offer. With a larger backpack, I used to not be able to find stuff when I need to, esp. when the bag is crammed under the seat in front of me (kwim?). Now I know exactly where every single item is in this bag and I can reach into it without looking and pull the item out. It's a life saver in the cheapo cabin section to be able to do that.

HTH.

Cheers, Lin

boys2enough
01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Sorry. Double post.