PDA

View Full Version : Skip Hop vs. LL Bean Bag

LoriH
01-28-2005, 06:03 PM
I am expecting my first baby in a few weeks and I would like to purchase a diaper bag that will be multi-functional. I already have a Kecci backpack, but I am looking for something a little bigger.

I have heard a lot of people rave about the skip hop, but it seems like it would be a pain to use it on the stroller and as a shoulder bag. I have the new P3 stroller in Cherry Cola and I thought that it would look nice hanging on the sroller, I just want to be able to use it as a shoulder bag as well.

I like the new LL Bean bag in powder blue as well. Is this a large bag? Would it be able to hold more stuff than the Skip Hop?

The other thing I am wondering is if a backpack would be easier because you don't have to worry about carrying on your shoulder and getting tired.

holliam
01-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I'm still waiting to bring home my first babe (we're adopting) but I have spent far too much time researching everything, including diaper bags.

I finally accepted the fact that I needed diaper bags for different things. So, I have:

- Skip Hop permanently attached to the stroller.
- Lands End backpack for DH/car. DH is going to be SAHD so this is his main diaper bag. Also what we used for travel.
- Lands End large tailored tote. My main big bag, like if we'll be gone all day.
- LLBean diaper bag. I think this will be my main running errands type of bag. It's the perfect size between the Lands End Little Tripper and the large Lands End bags I have.
- Lands End Little Tripper. Got this as a gift, and it's really too small for cloth diapers except for a couple AIOs. I likely won't use this a lot.

Holli

Rach3975
01-28-2005, 09:21 PM
I've been deciding between these 2 bags for use with my 15 month old, so I've just seen (and stuffed) both in real life. For a newborn, I'd go with the LL Bean. The Skip Hop probably has enough room for diapering supplies, a change of clothes, some small toys, a bottle (if needed), and your stuff. However, with a newborn you'll probably also be carrying a blanket (not to mention the coat and other extra layers that will go on and off), and I don't think the Skip Hop has room. The LL Bean probably does. Both can be worn over the shoulder or messenger style.

As for the backpack, that's what I had when DS was a newborn. Hard to say if it's easier. If you plan to use a stroller with a basket a lot, it doesn't matter. If you're going to be using a Bjorn-type carrier, I found it harder to use a backpack since the straps had to go over the Bjorn straps. Not sure about with a sling.

I know there are some people who manage with just one diaper bag for the first few years, but I find that my needs change every 6 to 9 months. For example, in the early months I needed big and out of the way, so I liked my backpack. Now that we're in the toddler stage, I need to be able to get to my bag frequently for snacks and toys, so a backpack would be less convenient for me. If I had to start over and choose 1 bag to get me through as much of DS's childhood as possible, I think I'd get the LL Bean Bag. It's big enough to hold the essentials for a newborn, but not so big that I'd hate carrying it around by the time I needed less.

MamaKath
01-29-2005, 12:16 AM
My inclination is to suggest the LL Bean bag. You can attach the Kecci to the Perego stroller using carabiners, so that would cover that feature of the SkipHop. The LL Bean seems more like a bag that can hold a bit without being empty looking and hold a lot without looking overpacked. I find a messenger bag to keep my hands free more easily than a backpack, and often more comfortable (though I love my Baby Sherpa). Part of what works will depend on your plans for feeding. If formula feeding you will need more space. The good news on that is size wise your bag may not change drastically when you start solids. :-)

HTH~