PDA

View Full Version : Need some help picking a new bag or two...

twofallbabies
01-31-2005, 12:27 PM
And I've come to ask the opinion of the experts!

Here's what I currently have:

-LE LTs, I have 3, the current version, the older version, and the older version before that, which I bought last fall NWT and never used. All the LTs are too small for what I wantt o be able to carry with me.

-LE Do it all, the last version, which is great, but way too big for my daily use. We use it when going to Grandma's for the day and I need to be able to carry the usual stuff, plus PJs for both kids.

-FL Alpha 7- I used to have one of the Dinatelli knockoffs of the A7. I liked it, but it just wasn't me, as I can't stand the flap over the compartment, I'd rather have it just zipper open and shut. I don't think it was quite big enough either.

-Timbuk2 Shortcut bag-bought it last summer and have yet to use it. It's just too small for day to day use, and has no cupholders. Despite the flap over the main compartment I do like the setup of it.

-Mamamade diaper bag - I have a red cord tote bag that I made from a diaper bag sewing pattern. It's great, b/c I was able to customize the placement and sizes of all the pockets, but it turned out to be pretty big (bigger than the measurements on the package stated), and needs constant washing which is a pita.

Here's what I need to be able to carry in the bag:
-3 size 4/5 diapers
-wipes box
-changing pad (I don't care if the bag I choose has one included with it, b/c they're generally too small for my 27mo DS, and I'll use the jumbo pad I already have)
-at least 2 water bottles/sip cups, three would be better, but 2 is a necessity
-spare change of clothing for my 2yr old
-Small pk of tissues, and a Germ-X bottle
-My hairbrush, cellphone, wallet, 2 pens and a tiny notepad (like 2.5x4")

-Strap must be long enough to carry messenger style, and adjust enough that it can go over my stroller handles. D rings would be a plus, for hanging from carabiners on the stroler.

I like the looks of the new LL Bean bag, the Kecci Shanghai, and maybe the SkipHop. I don't like that the SkipHop is so narrow. One of the things I dislike about my current LT is that when you put anything in the front pocket it falls over.

I don't want to spend more than $50-60, as Lucas is starting to potty train (on his own, NOT my plan!) a bit, and this will hopefully be my last diaper bag (until I have another kidlet, but that's not happening anytime in the foreseeable future!).

I don't think I'm too picky about the "style" of the bag, though I do NOT want a backpack. I like the versatility of the Skip Hop, from bag to stroller, and of the Kecci from bag to backpack (the backpack setup actually hangs really well on the back of my P3). I think it would depend on the particular bag, if I wanted it "Pretty" or "Sporty".

I saw the LL Bean at their store (MD) last week, and really liked it, but couldn't pick between the colors, so I didn't get one. It sure would be nice to have something that size that I can pack all I need, and still have room to spare.

So, what do you think I should get?

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
27+ months

mom2lukas
01-31-2005, 12:42 PM
i think you should get the LL Bean bag. :) i did get the black/lime one, but it's going back to the store cuz i'm not too sure about lime. but then i saw the post about the LL Bean's large touring bag being the EXACT same bag, minus the changing pad, for $7 cheaper! so i ordered the black with the gray interior (like that WAY better than the green) last night! i think there are other colors available too (khaki, navy...) but that might make your decision even harder! it's a great bag at an awesome price!

HTH,
joey :)

twofallbabies
01-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks Joey,
That's what I was leaning towards. But there's so many brands out there that I'm not aware of, I am hoping to hear if there's anything that I'm missing as far as my options. I really LOVE the lime inside the black, it's the black on the outside that I dislike, lol! I may look into the touring bag too, just to see the different colors. In my head right now, I'm going to end up with a Kecci (Navy, Garnet, Caramel and Truffle all jump out at me) and an LL Bean. :)

Thanks!!
Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
27+ months