PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything BAD about the SkipHop diaper bag?

tchiu1021
02-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Everyone raves about the SkipHop diaper bag. Is there anything BAD or ANNOYING about it for a first time mom? Thanks!

murpheyblue
02-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I have a Skip Hop and really like it but some cons are:

-very tall and thin. Thus, you have to pile things on top of one another which can cause you to have to root around in it for what you're looking for.
-no zipper on the top. So if it's full and you lay it down, stuff can fall out.
-no insulated bottle pocket.

amp
02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes.

It is very tall and skinny, so you have to pack vertically.

It tips over.

I do like mine, but those are the two things that bug me the most about it.

audball
02-02-2005, 03:49 PM
In addition to the PPs' comments, I find that it's not that "easy" to switch over from stroller bag mode to shoulder strap mode. I kind of wish they had a means whereby the shoulder straps could stay on as an option. That way you could just unclasp the clips from stroller mode and throw it over your shoulder. It's not *that* much of a pain, but when you have to chase a toddler and a baby, those few minutes make a lot of difference.

I also found I scratched my hand a lot on the velcro, reaching into the main storage area. Someone here suggested taping over the scratchy part of the velcro and it works well!

Niki_n_Abby
02-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Absolutely! I really like my SkipHop as a console for my stroller. I don't like it as a diaper bag. It is far too skinny. Being very tall and thin it is difficult to fit things in there and then dig for them. I find the material scratchy and my hands hurt from digging things out after a while. It doesn't zip closed. For a mom with a newborn I think it would be far too small. My dd was EBF and even without bottles it wouldn't have held enough.

I like I said, I keep it on my stroller and use it as a console, but not as a diaper bag.

HTH!
Niki

Rach3975
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
I just got one to use with my 15 month old and LOVE it, but I would have hated it until he was 10 or 12 months old. I hate having to dig for things, so I like to keep a lot of empty space in a bag--most people who carry what I do would probably fit it all in a Little Tripper or other much smaller bag. If you can fit all of your newborn's things inside the Skip Hop, chances are it will only be by packing very carefully. It would annoy me to no end if every time I needed something I had to repack and reorganize the whole bag to make things fit in again. As appealing as the idea of getting 1 and only 1 diaper bag is, I don't think it's realistic. I had one big one that worked well for the first 6 months, but after that it was too big and I bought another one. That one also worked well for about 6 months, after which I was ready to go smaller again. While you might love the Skip Hop later on, I wouldn't buy it as your only bag for a newborn unless the ability to attach to a stroller (instead of just being thrown in the basket or over the handles) is very important to you.

bubbaray
02-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Hmmm, well I started using it when DD was about 6w old. I have never had a problem with not being able to fit enough stuff in it. She's EBFd, so I don't have to carry bottles, though. I'm finding now that she's eating solids and nursing less, I have to carry more snacks for her, so I'm looking for a larger bag (ordered an LL Bean bag).

I still think that my Skip Hop is my all time favorite bag. If I had to use just one diaper bag on a desert island, it would be my choice.

HTH

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

holliam
02-03-2005, 07:36 PM
It is not big enough (IMO) for more than 2 cloth diapers at a time. I don't like the shallow side pockets at all.

I plan to use it exclusively with our stroller for neighborhood walks. I like how it easily attaches to the stroller.

If it weren't for that feature, I don't think it's worth the money when you can get something like the LLBean diaper bag or LE Little Tripper that hold more, for less money.

Holli

Momof3Labs
02-03-2005, 08:12 PM
I also like it on my stroller to hold drinks, snacks, whatever is floating around loose at the moment. But if didn't have that feature, I would have sold it right away. Don't like how tall and skinny it is, how easily it tips over, the velcro on top (I prefer a zipper), the number of steps required to switch out the handle...

dules
02-04-2005, 12:30 PM
It just wasn't for me. I require more organization (the vertical packing was a challenge for me) and I was forever tipping it over and stuff would fall out.

It was a very durable bag, IMO. I had it for about 6 months and it still looked pretty new when I sold it. I was not hard on it by any means but the durability is a nice plus, not like a bag that you're always worrying is going to get a pull or a stain or something.

Oh, and the black interior, on a tall bag, made the black hole effect kind of overwhelming (again, I am someone who needs the organization laid out for me, for people more organized than me that's not a problem!)

Hope this helps!

Best,
Mary

saschalicks
02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
I like it, but I'm going to sell mine, b/c it is too thin. I hate the digging. The inside pockets stick out when anything is in them so that it makes the space even narrower. I also get annoyed with taking the strap off and on for stroller use.

HTH

nov02mom
02-05-2005, 10:01 PM
The velcro closure is very irritating...but that is gone on the new ones so I am one happy mommy!

RiaHannam
02-06-2005, 08:13 PM
Chiming in a little late but thought I'd add my opinion.

This bag was not for me either. While I loved the concept, it was just too narrow and not enough room for me. It's just as easy to throw a bigger bag over my stroller handles that also worked for my everyday bag.

That said I am intrigued by the new bags - especially the messenger one. I am glad they are adding more styles.

lisak
02-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Its a great bag, and I have to agree w/ what a lot of the PPs posted, but I wouldn't recommend it as your one and only bag, nor when baby is newborn. Its a good bag when you don't need so many diapers, several complete outfits, burpcloths, bibs, etc.

If you just want to keep it attached to your stroller, it would be good for outings, walks, mall strolling, etc.

Good luck searching for that perfect dipaer bag!!!