PDA

View Full Version : Does the new LL Bean bag hold much more than a Skip Hop? A good Disney bag?

MeredithsMom
02-03-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm guessing yes, but I'd love to hear any confirmation from those who might know. I currently have a Skip Hop and a Kecci, but we have a Disney trip planned for April and I'd like to get another bag for that and, ideally, one that holds a bit more than the Skip Hop. I like the Skip Hop, but I'm thinking I want something with enclosed pockets on the outside, so nothing is "hanging out" on rides (of course, the diaper bag and the baby will sit out the fast rides, so maybe that is not a concern).

DH is ALL ABOUT the LL Bean bag since he heard the price (especially since I've been talking Timi and Leslie and Motherships). I have read all the recent threads about the LL Bean, but, again, would love any direct comparison between this bag and a Skip Hop (or a Kecci for that matter).

Thanks for any and all advice!

newmomto1
02-03-2005, 10:44 AM
The LL Bean can hold as much as a Mothership...yet it is lighter & does not feel as big & bulky....
So, yes..it holds more than a Skip Hop.
I love my new LL Bean Bag...I think it would be a great bag for Disney.
The best thing about it is that if you don't like it you can send it back. LL Bean is great about returns!!
HTH :-)

Momof3Labs
02-03-2005, 10:54 AM
On our recent Disney trip, we used two bags: the Lands End Little Tripper and the Skip Hop. The Skip Hop had diapers, snacks, antibacterial wipes, a sweatshirt for Colin, etc. in it. Plus we like to use the outer pockets as cupholders. We left that bag on the stroller on rides and such. The Lands End LT had our cell phones, my wallet, camera, video camera, etc. (with room to spare) and went with us everywhere. I could put it in the basket of our stroller when we were walking, then grab it to go on rides. It was nice to not have to haul EVERYTHING on all the rides, but I obviously didn't want to leave valuables in the stroller either. The messenger style of the LT was great because I didn't have to take it off or worry about it falling out of the car on any of the rides.

So, the LL Bean bag would probably work nicely for you, but consider bringing the Skip Hop too!

Nina31
02-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I got my LLBean bag last week, and I would say yes, it does hold more than the Skip Hop (which I have as well). The LLBean is shorter and much wider, whereas the Skip Hop is taller and but thinner. It also has a shoulder strap pad, which makes its more comfortable to wear than the Skip Hop.

amp
02-03-2005, 02:06 PM
Yep. I just got the LLBean bag yesterday, and it does hold more than the Skip Hop. It's a pretty neat bag. I still am not sure if i want to keep it, since it is rather large. I keep thinking when I have another baby, I'll be toting baby and toddler stuff, so I'll need it, but it seems big for now. But I liked the way it's has more depth from front to back than the skip hop for everyday use. However, the Skip Hop would work much better attached to the stroller/cart when shopping, going out for the day, or whatever, which makes it very convenient.

MeredithsMom
02-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all the replies and tips, ladies! As I suspected, the LL Bean is a larger bag. Of course now I'm thinking, do I WANT to take a larger bag onto all the rides at Disney. :-) The idea of keeping non-essentials in the SkipHop (and on the stroller) at Disney sounds like a great idea, as long as any would-be thieves realize that there are only non-essentials in there! (Stealing isn't really a problem at Disney from what I hear, though).

Thanks again; I'm off to ponder some more. Maybe the Skip Hop really is the best bag out there; I just have such a problem keeping anything in that middle portion besides diapers in the pockets. Once I fill all the outer pockets, there seems to be no room in the middle. Argh! I guess this is why we all have multiple bags--none is perfect and hope springs eternal. :-)

Rach3975
02-03-2005, 11:52 PM
Don't know if you're still interested, but here are 2 pictures of the LL Bean next to the Skip Hop. (The LE Medium Tailored Tote is in the middle.) I tried both recently. I found that the things I keep in the Skip Hop all fit in the various pockets of the LL Bean, leaving most of the main compartment empty. Of course, the things I keep in it don't fill my Skip Hop. If you decide to get a bigger bag, the LL Bean is bigger, but not so big it would feel bulky and hard to carry, IMHO. You can make it even cheaper ($29) by ordering the Large Travel Touring bag. It's the same bag minus the changing pad. It comes in more colors, though the only one I've seen IRL is the black with light gray interior.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/21043.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/21044.jpg

MeredithsMom
02-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks so much! I just LOVE pics like this. I'm thinking I will order the LL Bean bag and check it out--I'll only be out shipping if I don't like it, and it seems like a great bag to have. Not the most stylish, but DH won't mind holding it and I won't mind throwing it around Disney. :-)

bubbaray
02-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the great photos. Which do you prefer of those 2 bags? Which is lighter?

I've already ordered the LL Bean bag. But I got a fabric swatch of the LE tote the other day. It is different fabric (at least on the swatch) -- kinda rubbery???

TIA

Melissa
Mom to Maya http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/binky.gif & Dog Mom to Bubba http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://www.babysfirstsite.org/newtickers/ticker/11089.birthday.png

twofallbabies
02-05-2005, 10:18 PM
I bought the LLBean bag tonight, and it's deceptively large. I really like it though, and think I must have been deluding myself to think that I could carry it all in a Little Tripper up till now. I had 3 size 4 dipes, a wipes case, a change of clothes for my 2yr old, my water bottle, my wallet, a small hair brush, a sip cup for my 2yr old, a straw bottle for my 6yr old, my digital camera, a small pkg of tissues, and there was loads of space to spare. Oh, and I had my cell phone and keys in the zipper pocket that's on the flap of the front pocket. Perfect place for them. The only downside of this bag that I can see (you know, after 2 hours of use, LOL!) is that the color selections are so limited. I chose the black, b/c I LOVE the lime interior lining. I normally would have picked the blue, b/c I'm just a blue kinda gal, I suppose, but I had visions of it getting really dirty. Hope this helps!

Jessica, sewing, strollering, candle-loving mama in MD to
Dillon 9/98 & Lucas 10/02

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif
27+ months