PDA

View Full Version : This may be an impossible mission....

amp
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
This may be an impossible mission, but I figured, what the heck....

I am looking for a diaper bag, but have no idea what one. I have some criteria, and I have some bags already, but I don't seem to be able to find "the one". I peruse this forum periodically, much to DH's dismay, and have bought 5 bags, none of which really rock my world, although they are all nice.

Maybe my bag doesn't exist. I dunno.

Here's what I have already, so don't mention these...

Eddie Bauer (Target) bag.
Skip Hop
Land's End Little Tripper (both the old and new version)
LL Bean (the new one)

All are Navy except the LL Bean bag.

Here's my wish list...

- Not to tall and skinny. Need some depth from front to back so I don't have to pack vertically.
- Canvas, microfiber, nylon or other sporty material. No flowers or other prints
- Under $100 preferably
- Would love a red diaper bag this time around
- Need shoulder strap, so no short double handles
- Prefer a zipper on top, but can handle velcro if necessary

I eyed the Alpha 7 red canvas bag for a long time, even though I've never seen one IRL, nor have I ever seen the inside of the bag. I really couldn't justify the price, and now that DH says, buy the bag that will keep you from buying more, I know that bag is now being discontinued. What else can you suggest?

Momof3Labs
02-03-2005, 02:37 PM
Andrea, what don't you like about the newer Little Tripper? Because it seems to satisfy your requirements. I was thinking of this for you:

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_1943_47583_116055_94502_5:view=-1,00.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_47581&sid=6041175667904182920

But not sure since the LT doesn't meet your needs.

Another option is that Timbuk2 bags are back at www.sierrtradingpost.com (coupons and free shipping codes at www.fatwallet.com) - the mini or the small might be options for you, if they come in solid red. Also, Mariana is selling a solid red Timbuk2 on the babybags board...

nd93
02-03-2005, 02:40 PM
I highly recommend the LeSportsac deluxe everyday bag. It is not a diaper bag. I was considering a diaper bag I saw online, but wanted to see what the dimensions were like IRL so I went to the handbag section of my local dept. store to see if I could find a bag similar in size. I came across these and think they are almost perfect for a diaper bag! There are 2 outside pockets with zippers, two main compartments (with zipper closure), an inside zipper, and an adjustable shoulder strap so can be worn messenger or on the shoulder. It also has an expandable bottom in case you need to stuff more in. The expandable part is very well hidden, the first time I saw the bag I did not notice it at all. I don't think they have red right now, but you can get GREAT prices on ebay. I currently use an old, old little tripper, and I needed something with a place for me to put my cell, wallet, etc.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/21013.jpg

They retail for about $55-65 depending on color (solids are cheaper, patterns are more), but ebay is about $30-50.

Good luck! I think all of us on here are constantly searching for the perfect bag.

lmariana
02-03-2005, 03:16 PM
I've always loved the Loom Marsupials. They are a great size and have fabulous organization. They're so durable and easy to clean. I just bought a black one (again) because I really missed it! You may be able to find some nice re-sales on the Babybags board.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

amp
02-03-2005, 03:21 PM
Lori - Both DH and I found the LT to be a bag that tips over and where it wasn't very wide at the bottom. I know I don't always like really wide stuff, but we still felt like we had to dig around in there to find stuff. That was primarily John's complaint. Mine was the tipping over constantly! So I don't think I would like that other LE bag, since it's shaped the same. I guess I do like a boxier bag.

I have looked at the Timbuk2 bags before, and will take another look at them. Thanks!

amp
02-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Can you give me a link to the baby bags board? Thanks!

iznav
02-03-2005, 03:52 PM
>I've always loved the Loom Marsupials. They are a great size
>and have fabulous organization. They're so durable and easy
>to clean. I just bought a black one (again) because I really
>missed it! You may be able to find some nice re-sales on the
>Babybags board.
>
Hmmmm...I'm new to posting, but have lurked for a looooooong time. I have actually been thinking of selling my Marsupial because I haven't used it at all since I bought a Skip Hop (and because I want an Escape Pod), but if you missed it and re-bought, maybe I better hang onto it. I'd hate to spend the $130 again! I've read how much you like your Skip Hop too so that makes me wonder if I should keep the Loom for a while...

audball
02-03-2005, 05:10 PM
Nothing that the women of this board like more than a challenge! Would you consider this (T2 Metro)? Great price at Sierra Trading Post!
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.80459/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm

Alas, no red. But Mariana is selling her red one (I think it's a standard messenger)! :)

Chester had a diaper tote that has two handles but can be worn on the shoulder (not messenger style). I think they had a red gingham that was laminated (maybe a do-able print?)...But for $60 (on their sale page) and with the great discount Priscilla set up you get 10% off that and free shipping with the JAN05 code! It's the classic style, so it has a zip top.
http://www.chesterhandbags.com/default.asp

ETA: You know, it could be that you are just wanting a change of pace? Sometimes, switching out the bags that I do have makes a difference. I dunno...I keep thinking I have the perfect "stash" and then another bag comes along that I fall in love with. You could do something crazy and venture into the world of print - I did and it opened up a whole other world to me (haha- much to DH's dismay!)

Momof3Labs
02-03-2005, 08:09 PM
Yep, the LE medium tailored tote definitely isn't for you, then.

But look hard at those Timbuk2 bags - they are definitely not tall and open plenty wide to dig for things.

tiikeri2
02-03-2005, 09:13 PM
The babybags board is a yahoo group, so you will have to join the group to view the messages.

addy is: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

I second (or is it third now?) checking out Mariana's red one that she has for sale!

HTH!

Kay

Kimberly H
02-03-2005, 10:24 PM
My everyday bag, the red Ameribag tote.

Here's a link to a black one on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52361&item=8167177639&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I bought mine when they were clearancing on eBags and got a black one on the diaper bag group. It meets all of your criteria so it might be worth it to look around!

MamaKath
02-03-2005, 10:46 PM
ITA! That was my first thought was the Ameribag tote, lol. It is a great bag. www.ameribag.com I think they may sell it through their site now, but am not 100% sure.

HTH~

Rach3975
02-04-2005, 12:06 AM
I was eying that LeSportsac bag before I found my Skip Hop. Never knew it expanded--I might have bought it if I'd known.

smomom
02-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Andrea,

I am by no means a diaper bag guru, but I would highly recommend checking out the T2s. Although I love many features of my Skip Hop (and feel greatly responsible for your Skip Hop purchase), I have also grown tired of many aspects of it. I ordered a small T2 from Sierra Trading Post over Christmas and I have fallen in love. Before #2 arrives I plan on customizing a small T2 with the center divider and a couple of other features - most likely solid red. My current bag is ok without the center strap when I am packing for just Sage, but I want more organization for the future. My favorite feature is the zippered compartment that runs along the length of inside of the bag. I can hide all the diapers and changing pad and they don't get "roughed up" because they are no longer hanging out of internal pockets. The key fob has also been a huge help.

If you want to see the T2s in person I know of a couple of places that carry them. The luggage store at Oak Park -bottom level, near Baby Gap has some. Galyan's used to, but I don't know it they still do since it has changed ownership. That Metro Mini at STP is soooo tempting at $29.99. It would be perfect for you and Jake, but would not be nearly large enough or organized for a newborn. I know they have that size at the Oak Park luggage store for you to see.

Good luck in your hunt..... and we really need to get together soon!

amp
02-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Dana - Thanks for the ideas. I've seen the T2 online and like the look of it, but I'd like to see it in person, so maybe I'll check it out. I don't really regret my Skip Hop purchase, but I don't use it all the time. I do kick myself everytime I pull it out for not buying the red I initially wanted. Should have went with my gut rather than second guessing myself. I'll let you know what I do if I see the T2 at the mall. It helps to know where to look IRL.

Yes, lets get together soon! Hope you are feeling well!