PDA

View Full Version : diaper bag suggestions...first time mom!!!

jennielh73
02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Okay I'm so confused about this whole diaper bag thing. Which have you found to be cute, practical, and will last a bit? I like:

- fleurville pink stripe http://www.fleurville.com/mothership.asp
- OiOi Swirl http://www.babyoliverboutique.com/oioi-messenger-swirl-cbb-5601.html
- Airship Diaper Messenger Bag http://www.rosenberryrooms.com/131017strblu.html
- Loom Marsupial Diaper Bag
- a "daddy" bag from lands end.

any opinion on any of these?

i like that the fleurville has the "fluid proof" shell. Not sure about the fabric on the OiOi. Anyone know?

tiikeri2
02-03-2005, 09:39 PM
Have you checked out the Chester bags as well--definitely cute, practical, and durable! (and 10% off with free shipping using JAN05 code) (chesterhandbags.com)

Oh, and I HIGHLY recommend the Timi and Leslie bags!!! I think one would definitely serve your newborn needs!!! 12x12x4 in size with multiple pockets and some great prints!!! (timiandleslie.com)

There have been some Fluerville vinyl issues, so keep that in mind before spending the $$$.

OiOi seemed to have some quality issues as well, I remember reading.

What are your preferences: messenger style, backpack, tote? prints, solids, patterns? what size are you looking at? Answering these would give us a bit more direction.

I think overall my suggestion would be the Timi and Leslie, but that is because I love mine so much!!! LOL!

And you could always order more than one and return what you do not like (Chester has EXCELLENT customer service!). Or sell what you do not use on the babybags board. (Maybe even check out the board to see what is for sale there!)

HTH!

Kay

audball
02-03-2005, 10:08 PM
My first suggestion is, whatever you get, *keep the tags* and the receipt...try it out, play with it, but wait until your baby is here before you really decide. There are so many factors that go into finding "the perfect bag" (who am I kidding? It's "the perfect BAGS"!), that making a decision before you know exactly what you are going to be needing is hard :).

I have some concerns about the Mothership, based on previous postings here. I guess if you knew that the vinyl was in good shape and love the print, you should go for it. But the shoulder strap isn't adjustable, it sometimes looks big on petite women, and it's a pretty big bag. On the plus side, it's a big bag, they have lovely prints/colors, and many people love theirs.

Personally, if you liked the vinyl-coated messenger, I would check out poshbaby or Timi and Leslie bags.

I have the OiOi Lime/Black Dot and it's a nylon bag. I can't tell from the description of the Swirl is or not. If it's nylon, you shouldn't have too many problems with stains..but if it's their cotton-type coating, it may not take to stains too well - you may want to call babyoliver. No feet on the bag and no adjustable shoulder strap. It can be a little short for messenger-style. Pluses: Pretty good interior organization, very cute prints, and awesome changing pad and insulated bottle holder (removable!).

The only other bag I can comment on is the Loom Maruspial. It's a very nicely organized bag, and I love the clean look. Some people find it boxy and a little hard to carry (it's bigger than it may look on the pics). It may not be comfortable messenger style if you are on the taller side. Because it doesn't have a lot of "give" you can't stuff it as well. This may be a factor with a newborn, where you pack anything and everything! :) But cool colors and now, with a toddler and an infant, I love this bag! So easy to find things and open the bag..

Rach3975
02-04-2005, 12:51 AM
One comment on the Daddy bag--if you're looking at Lands End, you might want to check out LL Bean, too. It's a mid-sized bag, where the Lands End bags tend to be big (Do It All, Backpack) or small (Little Tripper). I was home with our son and my husband only took him out for a few hours at a time on the weekend, so mid-size worked best for him. If he'd started big, he would have had to get a second bag now that our son is a toddler and needs less. If you like the LL Bean but the lime green interior is a no go for DH, you can look at the LL Bean Large Travel Touring bag. It's the same bag minus the changing pad, which you can buy separately at any major baby store. The black Large Travel Touring Bag has a light gray interior and sells for $29 instead of $36.

MichelleRC
02-04-2005, 07:35 AM
I second the Timi & Leslie suggestion. I have been using mine since last summer and it looks brand new. It would be great for a newborn and the vinyl coating is great. I also have and use a Fleurville Mothership, although for longer, all day outings or at restaurants where I am toting lots of snacks and toys.
The Marsupial did not work for me although others love them.
You are probably going to need more than one bag, so welcome to the madness!
Good Luck,

jennielh73
02-05-2005, 12:00 PM
"""What are your preferences: messenger style, backpack, tote? prints, solids, patterns? what size are you looking at? Answering these would give us a bit more direction""""

I am pretty tall (5'10") so the size of the bag isn't as an important. I would probably like a messenger style so it's a bit more comfortable. The most important things to me are:
1. durability - if i'm spending $100 - $150 I want it to last...i am a bit of klutz :)
2. function - i've been reading about too big, small, must stand alone, being able to sling them over the stroller (we have a pliko3)
3. CUTE pattern!!!

Thanks for all of the suggestions already :)

oh and where is the bag board that was mentioned above???

tiikeri2
02-05-2005, 12:44 PM
The yahoo baby bags board is:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/babybags/

Just click "join this group", fill out the form, and Kristen will let you in ASAP! LOL!

I do not know if you have checked out diaperbags.com, but that gives a listing of a lot of different bags. Or check out Mariana's site, happydaybaby.com.

If you like messenger style, I'm still smitten with the One Cool Chick bags. :) (onecoolchick.com) Awesome patterns, great construction, and they stand by their product! There is a large messenger in the plum orchid for sale right now on the babybags board. The one downfall is there is limited organization because there are fewer pockets than other bags.

Check out the new skiphops coming out (see the thread posted today)!!! These would work well on any stroller, have colors that are not too feminine (for dad), and the Dash is messenger style!!! From what I've heard they are very durable.

HTH!

Kay

jennielh73
02-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the links!!! I'm busy checking them out now...so many options so little time :))

writeleigh
02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
I think you've gotten some good suggestions about trying the bag out after the baby comes. Diaper bag needs are so personal, it's hard. When I had a newborn, the size of the Mothership would have been great. I have one, which I use for travel or longer outings. But a bag the size of the Timi &Leslie bebe bag is more practical for further on down the road when you are no longer carrying as much (or maybe you'll be a lighter packer than I was in the beginning).

jennielh73
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
thanks for the suggestions...there are just sooooo many choice out there and i'm paranoid about making the "right" one....

whittyanne
02-07-2005, 05:21 PM
There is no right choice! Just hang out here long enough and you'll be forever on the quest for the perfect diaper bag... and buying way more than you ever need ;-)

Wanted to say that two of my friends recently had babies and started with Motherships and I think they are great "first time" diaper bags, simply b/c their size and organization is so great for all the newborn items.

Good luck!

jennielh73
02-07-2005, 06:03 PM
unfortunately, my hubby will put an end to the buying...he does the bills now so i can't even hide the purchase x(

the mothership was the first bag I really thought had the organizational piece i need but i'm a bit put off about what i have read regarding the vinyl...are there any others that match it terms of organization? i'm worried if i don't have some sort of "system" that it will end up looking like my purse:o

mumofellaandguy
03-06-2005, 04:11 PM
The OiOi Swirl is nylon and machine washable on a gentle cycle - to be washed seperately. I have the carry all version. You can use stain remover too.

carolines mommy
03-07-2005, 01:34 AM
I have a white cord Mothership that I never use. Yes, it is big, but I don't care for the length of the strap. I look ridiculous if I wear it messenger style and I am 5'7". The strap on the bag is too short for me to wear comfortably that way. I have an Alpha 7 that I love, love, love. Adjustable strap, lots of organization, not as bulky as the MS. Wish they were still making them because I wanted another for spring as mine is black cord. Anyway, check out the I'm Still Me bags. I ordered one and haven't received it yet but it appears to have very well thought out organization. http://imstillme.com/index.html I ordered a So Big bag from the Wellies retail collection.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea due April 05