PDA

View Full Version : ISM So Big bag--I got it! (pics)

Hallie_D
02-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Surprise! DH brought my bag home from work today--he'd forgotten to tell me it arrived this afternoon.

First, a word about construction. I don't own another ISM bag, so I can't compare, but this seems VERY well put together. Every seam looks like it is double-sewn. (is that a word?) It is very sturdy and stands up easily on its own without losing shape. The fabric is soft but feels strong and is water-resistant and washable according to Mackenzie.

The top flap and exterior pockets, which encircle the entire bag, are all the main fabric--in my case, 'beach glass.' It is thin stripes of tan and soft blue--very nice, very neutral. The main "bag"--that is, the part that is not pockets, is black on the outside. The inside is a soft blue that matches the blue stripes.

There are 4 interior pockets--two elasticized and one not, all in black, and then a zipper pocket in the same soft blue which is lined in black. The non-elasticized pocket came with a dirties pouch inside, also black.

There are 6 exterior pockets--two elasticized on each side and two long pockets, one in front and one in back. The back pocket came with a changing pad inside, black on one side and white on the other.

The bag can be worn either as a backpack or messenger style by clipping adjustable straps into rings.

I tried to show every angle in the photos and included a few next to my Kecci shanghai bag for size comparison. I haven't packed the bag yet, but it will hold more than the Kecci even without the extra outside pockets. I did try it on and it is very comfortable both as a backpack and a messenger-style bag.

I'm very excited to try it out and will pack it tomorrow!

Sorry to go on and on...here are the pics!

bluej
02-08-2005, 10:46 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!! I do not need another diaper bag. I do not need another diaper bag. I do not need another diaper bag. It really is beautiful though!

jasabo
02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow! How exciting! I didn't know they'd started selling these already. I've been wanting to hear a review. It sounds like a great bag. I'd love to hear how much you're able to fit into it. It looks very good sized - maybe about the size of an Alpha 7? Or even a Mothership maybe? What do you think? Also, I'd love to hear what size bottles you can fit in the exterior end pockets. Would a plastic water bottle fit?

Thanks so much for posting pics!

Lisa - mom to 19 month old twin boys

ETA: is there a padded area on the strap to cushion the shoulder, or is it just a canvas strap?

kensjen
02-08-2005, 11:16 PM
Thank you so much for posting this!! Your pictures are great. I am loving this bag, but definitely not NEEDING it. LOL

I would love to see a photo of you (or someone) wearing this bag. Thanks again for the review!

carolines mommy
02-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Thank you sooo much for posting these pics! I just ordered mine tonight in the sand dollar fabric. How long did it take you to get your bag? I'm so excited to get this bag! The MS is going up for sale now!!!

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea due April 05

Hallie_D
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
I know the bag shipped last Thursday, but I'm not sure when my sister placed the order. It was a while ago--before the bags were ready to go and before they were available for purchase online. Since they are retail bags I get the feeling they are more readily available than the custom bags, so it shouldn't take to long for you to get yours!

Hallie_D
02-09-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't know how it compares to an Alpha 7 or Mothership--unfortunately I've only ever seen pictures of them! It is definitely roomier than the Kecci Shanghai bag, though, especially with the large exterior pockets. You can definitely fit a water bottle in them. And the straps are not cushioned, but they are fully adjustable, which is nice.

I haven't packed it yet but will post when I do! I might *have* to take the boys out to a museum on Friday so I can check out the new bag!

lmintzer
02-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Really pretty! I love the color, too. Would look great with khackis for spring.

I wonder how much it holds in comparison to the Loom. It looks "stretchier" even though the dimensions are a bit smaller. I have a Loom which I don't use too often because it doesn't have enough space for all the stuff I carry for both of my kids. It seems I have endless sippy cups, diapers, toys, changes of clothes, etc. I should really try to pack a bit less!

Of course, I don't need another diaper bag, but I really love ISM, and this one looks so cute! And the option to use it as a backpack is great, too!

Any other pictures (wearing the bag or packed) would be much appreciated!

lmintzer
02-12-2005, 11:34 AM
Hallie,
How'd the bag work out for your museum trip? I can't wait to hear!

Hallie_D
02-13-2005, 12:15 AM
OK, I took my bag to the museum yesterday and the chocolate festival at Garfield Park today, and I was very pleased with it. Here is what the bag held today:

Outside bottle pockets: 2 large juice boxes, two bags of fruit snacks, a bag of animal crackers, a 20-oz water bottle, a rolled up fleece blanket, a hot wheels car, and the messenger strap just in case. I had the dirties bag in the front flat pocket and the changing pad in the back. (note: juice, fruit snacks and animal crackers unwanted by toddlers at a chocolate festival, even during a picnic lunch!)

Inside: sweatshirt, sweatpants, socks and underwear for Elijah, stretchy, undershirt, warm sweater and hat for Noah, 4 burp cloths, a cotton receiving blanket, my wallet (large), a set of keys, a cell phone, 3 diapers, a travel packet of wipes, and a packet of tissues. One of the interior elasticized pockets was empty, but the bag was pretty full. If I had wanted to I could have put in the travel magnadoodle and a board book or two, but I didn't want to carry anything else!

The top flap closes with velcro, and the only time it popped open was when I oh-so-gracefully tossed the bag into the front seat of the car and it crash-landed on its side. Nothing fell out, though!

I wore the bag as a backpack the whole time with Noah in a Baby Bjorn on my front, and I was comfortable and balanced.

For the life of me I cannot find the digital camera, but I'll look again in the morning and make DH take a picture of me wearing it.

parker10302
02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm new to the diaper bag thing, and last night before reading your post decided on the ISM So Big bag in Guava! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of you wearing your bag. Also, do you have any suggestions for attaching the bag to a double valco?

Thank You!
Nicole

parker10302
02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm new to the diaper bag thing, and last night before reading your post decided on the ISM So Big bag in Guava! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics of you wearing your bag. Also, do you have any suggestions for attaching the bag to a double valco?

Thank You!
Nicole