PDA

View Full Version : right size for newborn bag?

jennielh73
02-09-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm wondering what bag is the "right" size for a newborn and when do you see a switch from a newborn bag to another size? I tend to overpack when i'm packing for myself so I can't imagine it will be any different when it comes to this little one :) I am not great at organization so I think I like the bags that have organizational features already in place.

Someone mentioned in the Pursonality thread that those bags are more "floppy" then something like the mothership. What are the advantages and disadvantages of stiff vs. floppy. Doesn't it easier for changing if it stands on it's own?

What a tote vs. messenger vs. backpack etc? I have a p3 stroller so i'll need to throw the bag over the handles.

thanks in advance...sorry for MORE questions :)

JennyLynn
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi! You have come to the right place. I'll answer your questions from my experience and maybe others will give you some more advice too. :D

I think one of the biggest factors will be if you are nursing or bottle feeding. If you are bottle feeding you will have to carry more stuff... bottles and formula, etc. And you may also need to look for a bag with an insulated bottle pocket or detachable bottle holder. If you are nursing you don't need to worry about that.

One other thing to think about is whether you will want your diaper bag to serve as just a diaper bag, and carry a separate purse, or if you want one bag that holds all your stuff as well as baby's stuff. Some people just keep a smaller bag for their personal items tucked into the diaper bag.

At what point you switch to a toddler bag is hard to say. In my experience, I carried a lot of stuff with a newborn like extra outfits and burp cloths. Now that DS is older I carry things like snacks and toys. So for me there was never any great reduction in the amount of stuff I carry, it's just different stuff as time goes by! Your bag needs will also change if you have more than one child... but one thing at a time!

Floppy vs. stiff is a personal preference but you probably already have an idea what you like based on the purses you already own. Some people like having floppy bags that have one big open space so they can see everything at once, or they can stuff more in there as they need to. Personally I prefer having tons of pockets and organizing features so I never have to dig or dump to get what I need.

As far as style goes, again it is a personal preference. A lot of people on this board like a messenger style so they can wear it across the body, thereby freeing up both hands. The same goes for backpacks. Some people like totes since they are easy to reach into and grab what you need, while others don't like totes unless there is a top closure to prevent everything from spilling out.

One more thing to consider is whether you want something that definitively looks like a diaper bag of if you would prefer something that just looks like a regular/stylish bag.

OK one more thing. Most people on this board have several diaper bags for different purposes. Personally I have a huge one that I use for day trips and a small one that I use for short trips. I have purchased and returned several others and even spent some time making my own. It's hard to find the perfect combination of features and style, especially until you get a better feel for what you will be carrying. A lot of people recommend that you use the freebie bags from the hospital until you decide exactly what you need. I found it extremely helpful to look on this board for pictures of bags "in real life" or to see what others thought of them. People will be able to tell you if a particular bag you are considering will work with your stroller, which is a huge help.

Just wait... before you know it you will be as addicted to diaper bags as the rest of us! Good luck and let us know what you choose!

Jenny

alaible
02-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Well the "right" size is really a relative term. It depends on what kind of packer you are and how long you plan on being out of the house. When Paige was a newborn I needed more diapers than I do now because she pooped so much more at that age. I also needed a change of clothes because she was very tiny and all the different diapers we tried seemed to be big on her and therefore leak. I also carried a small receiving blanket and a baby hat incase we were someplace drafty. The size of the bag also depends on if you will be nursing or bottle feeding. I was nursing so I didn't really need the extra space to tote bottles.

I personally don't like totes. Lots of them have handles too short to throw the bag over your shoulder and even the ones that you can throw over your shoulder usually put the bag right under your arm and when trying to carry a baby or push a stroller that just wasn't convenient for me. Messengers are my favorite followed closely by backpacks.

The size of the bag has really changed frequently for us. We needed the extra diapers and clothes as a newborn. But as the baby outgrew the need for those items it was time to start packing babyfood. And now that she is a toddler it seems that I need the biggest bag yet because she is a picky eater and we have to take lots of snacks and her toys are bigger now. Now she wants to take a doll or two and as an infant all she needed was a rattle or two.

jennielh73
02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
interesting feedback...anymore suggestions ladies???

Rach3975
02-10-2005, 01:04 AM
I'll second the 'it depends.' I'm inclined to overpack, and I've recently found that if I get a smaller bag I carry less, yet I still have everything I need. I started with a Lands' End backpack, which I never loved. (I've heard that the newer models are better, so don't let that deter you.) It had no organization and more space than I needed, so I ended up shlepping an extra blanket and way too many diapers because the space was there. At about 6 months I switched to a tote style bag (a large, zip-top Kenneth Cole Reaction bag, not actually a diaper bag). I loved the size and the fact that all of my stuff fit in the 3 exterior pockets, leaving the entire main compartment for DS's stuff. That bag ripped recently, and I bought a Skip Hop Duo since DS is now 15 months old and I carry less.

My 3 bags have been backpack, then tote, then messenger/tote. The backpack stayed out of my way when I was carrying a floppy newborn, which was great, but it was less convenient when DS became interested in toys (and now sippy cups) and I had to get into my bag more often. The tote provided easy access, but I had to stop it from swinging forward when I bent down. Now that I've discovered bags that can be worn as both a messenger and a tote, I feel like I've found the best of both worlds.

As for the floppy vs. solid bag, I like something in the middle. I keep my diapering supplies in a cosmetic bag inside my diaper bag. I love that I can pull out everything I need at once and not have to bend down to the bag after DS is on the table. Because of that, it never mattered too much to me if a bag stood up well alone. The solid sided bags feel bulky to me, so I like a canvas-weight bag that holds its shape (the LL Bean and Skip Hop are both in that category).

My preference is for a zippered bag with some exterior pockets that are more easily accessed. I'm worried that I'll lose something or DS will take it out if there's no zipper. The Skip Hop Duo has an acceptable compromise, to me--the parent pockets zip, and the others are velcro-closed.

And now I'll get to the punch of my long-winded message. I've switched bags every 6 months so far, but if I'd chosen my first bag knowing what I know now, I could probably have gotten 9 or 12 months out of it. If I were buying my first bag today, I'd get the LL Bean Diaper Bag. It's large enough for the newborn essentials (plus a little overpacking), has plenty of pockets, zips closed, fits my stuff as well as DS's, and can be worn as a tote or messenger bag. It's large enough for a newborn, but small enough to continue using after the newborn stage. You might want to go smaller eventually, but there are still times you'd need a larger bag for a bigger outing. There's a new Skip Hop bag coming out next month, the Dash, that might be about the same size as the LL Bean.

You might find your needs are very different from mine, but I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.

jennielh73
02-10-2005, 07:39 PM
thanks!!! i think i just need to make a decision and stick to it :)