PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Petunia Pickle Bottom Boxy backpack

kylesmom
02-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Does anyone have this bag? What are your opinions on this bag. Is it a big bag? Is it stuffable? Does it hold as much as a mothership? Right now I have Loom Marsupial and a T&L Large Bebe bag. I mostly use my T&L and love it,and love my Marsupial for short trips but I am looking for a bigger bag as well. My son will be starting solids in a few months and I will need to carry food and snacks in addition to change of clothes and toys, diapers and wipes and all other essentials. TIA!

MarisaSF
02-10-2005, 12:16 AM
I have a PP bag. It was a gift, though, so I know virtually nothing about other diaper bags. If I had to do it over, I wouldn't choose it. I've been meaning to post a warning-review, so here goes...

Advantages:
-Pretty. Very pretty.
-Handy "coin purse" thing that I use more than the bag itself. Store wallet, phone, keys, palm pilot, etc. in and move from bag to bag.
-Built in changing pad
-Comes with 3 straps -- two to make it a backpack, one for over the shoulder use
-DH won't carry it, so he handles heavier, wigglier load (ie baby)

Disadvantages:
-Not waterproof
-Outer lining catches/pulls easily (think delicate silk sweater)
-Changing pad is so small -- good for newborn only
-Changing pad not waterproof -- how do you clean it? I always line mine with a lap pad
-Straps, though not cheap feeling, are really ugly. "Backpack" straps are NOT ergonomic at all.

I honestly am surprised at all the people I see with them. They were probably as naive as me -- first baby, looks pretty, stylish sister wants to buy as a gift. Before baby was born, I really didn't want something like the LL Bean/Lands End bags, but something like that would have suited my needs, if not my style, better.

It is quite roomy-- I keep diapers and changing supplies in front near zip-out changing pad. Then inside could go extra clothes and sweater, my "purse," receiving blanket, toys, food, bottles. But since I don't know the other bags, I can't really compare. Sorry!

All in all, if "practical" isn't tops on your list, the PP is eye catching and helps you beat the post-partum frumpy funk.

RJPO
02-10-2005, 07:26 PM
I just got my Petunia Pickle Bottom boxy backpack in "Dynamite Roll" on Monday. I used a gift certificate I'd received for my birthday.

I would agree that it's not an especially practical bag. The fabric definitely looks fragile, and I understand that it loses a lot of its structure if you dry clean it. I also don't like the use of velcro AT ALL, especially as a closure for the main compartment. A simple snap would have been better, I think -- less noisy, less cheap-looking.

It's a pretty big bag (I have a Mothership too, and I think they're about the same size and would tend to fit the same amount of gear). The fact that you can wear the PPB messenger style is a big plus for me.

My PPB has what looks like a water resistant (as opposed to waterproof) liner. But the two bottle pockets on the outside of the diaper bag DON'T have any lining at all ... so I anticipate some potentially nasty spills there. I don't care about the changing pad because I never use the ones that come with the bag -- the idea of using it and then putting it back in the bag grosses me out. DH and I always used garbage bags as disposable changing pads with DD.

On the upside ... the bag sure is purdy! I had a Lands End backpack and a Little Tripper with my first child, which were eminently practical -- waterproof, wore like iron, etc., etc., etc. But the older I get, the more frivolous I get. This time I wanted a really gorgeous bag, and I think the PPB fits the bill.

I probably won't use it as a primary diaper bag, though. It just looks too fragile.

Rachel
mom to
Mary India, born 6/21/98
James Jolyon (or Julian?), due 3/23/05

carolines mommy
02-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I don't have one, but have seen them IRL many times while deciding if I wanted to buy one or not. The idea of having such a delicate fabric on a bag really turned me off. It is a big bag though and would fit just as much as my MS would. Maybe look at the I'm Still Me "so big" bag that can be used as a messenger bag or backpack.

Erika
Mommy to Caroline Nov 03 and Chelsea due April 05