PDA

View Full Version : Security Question- What bag do you use

MamaKath
02-10-2005, 09:02 PM
when out in crowded places? Do you feel safer with a messenger? A backpack? Something attached to a stroller?

I think I feel safest with a messenger. I find a backpack feels very exposed to me, though I often clip the zippers together so the inside cannot be accessed easily. A tote is the last thing I want to carry when out in crowds, to easy to be grabbed off your arm and too easy to set down and forget. A stroller bag (like the SkipHop) in theory feels very unsafe to me since with kids the ages of mine you sometimes have to walk away from the stroller, however irl I like this option, I can stick my wallet either way down in it, or in my pocket.

I was just wondering which others felt worked best for them. :-)

Momof3Labs
02-11-2005, 07:41 AM
I feel most secure with a messenger and least secure with a backpack. Someone could easily unzip a backpack and pull out a cell phone, wallet, whatever, without me noticing. With totes there is the snatch factor, but I think that sneaky pickpockets are more common around here.

I use my Skip Hop but don't put my wallet in it since I also sometimes walk away from my stroller.

Niki_n_Abby
02-11-2005, 09:15 AM
I feel most secure with a messenger style with worn messenger style or clipped to a stroller(like the new Dash style)but I don't leave my stroller unattended at this point. I feel least secure with a back pack style. Someone could easily unzip a pocket and take anything without me noticing.

Niki

reseam
02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
Messenger's definatly feel much more secure to me. That said I don't mind wearing my Alpha 7 in backpack style on occasion. After all with that velcro there is no way I wouldn't hear someone trying to get into it!

Reseam

Rach3975
02-16-2005, 01:00 AM
Before DS was born, I never would have considered leaving my purse unattended for even a minute in a crowded area. Now it's a frequent occurrence, and it barely bothers me. Oh, how our lives change! Of course chasing DS so no one can grab him is more important than anything I carry in my bag, but it also helps that I carry my (tiny) wallet and keys in my pocket most of the time.

I suppose a messenger bag is the one I'd feel most secure with. I've used all 3 styles, and the only one I realy worried with was my zip backpack. I just bought a drawstring backpack that closes by pulling the straps, and I'd feel very secure with that--if someone tried to open it, the straps would tighten against my body.

Another important factor is the comfort of a given bag. If your bag is heavy or otherwise uncomfortable and you're constantly putting it down, it's much more likely to become a target.