PDA

View Full Version : Bike Helmets, when will they fit an infant?

searchdog
02-14-2005, 04:20 PM
Crossposted in the Lounge

I am just wondering when your DC was able to wear a bike helmet that you felt fit securly. We got a Burley trailer (the d'lite which I LOVE) over the weekend and a helmet for DD that is the smallest one the bike store sold and it doesn't stay on right. So when was your DC able to wear a helmet without it slipping all around or do you know where I can get a smaller helmet? She sits fine in the bike trailer but the helmet is worthless at this point. We aren't pulling the trailer yet since DD is only 8 months old but we have it set up as a stroller so she can get used to it and will hopefully be ok with riding behind the bike this summer. (it will be a couple more months before we will try to pull her in it)

The helmet we got is a Giro Infant Helmet. It says it fits 47-52 cm.

Thanks

audball
02-15-2005, 10:03 AM
I would go to a bike store and get one of those folks to help you. Did you get the helmet at a sporting goods store (I'm only guessing based on the fact that you got a new Burley..they're supposed to be awesome bike trailers!)? The onlything I can thing of is possibly putting foam cushions in to make a tighter fit. That, or have her wear a knit cap or something to make the helmet snugger? I think that's the smallest that the Giro's go...we've been looking too (we're looking at trailers) - no problem fitting DD who is 2.5, but her brother is 1..the smallest I've seen are what you describe 6-12 months...

searchdog
02-15-2005, 02:49 PM
We did get our helmet at a bike store and they fit it to her, but I just think her head is too small for it to fit correctly at this point. It fits if she doesn't move LOL! Hopefully by this summer when we really need it, it will fit. I am going to take it with us next month to the doctor to make sure that he thinks it is ok for her to go ahead and wear it. We really at this point wanted her to just get used to wearing it, like in her saucer etc. I just don't want to put it on her this summer without her having a chance to get used to having this thing on her head.

I realize I am probably dreaming thinking she will wear it without screaming this summer, but I am hopeful and that is why we kind of wanted to start getting her used to it sooner rather than later.