PDA

View Full Version : Need organization help!

kkb99
02-24-2005, 12:45 PM
I have the T2 PeeWee and a WW bag, and love them both, but seem to keep running into the same problem- a good way to store my stuff. Now both of them (esp the T2- pockets galore!!) have all these pockets for my stuff, and that's not a problem (pen, small flashlight, lipstick, etc). The problem is my cards and money and such. I bought a small wallet-sized purse to use as my wallet that holds all my cards, money, checkbook, also has a slot on the outside for a cell phone. My original plan was to get a wallet, and I ended up with this purse/wallet which has been great for just pulling it out when it's just me and not having to take my whole diaper bag. The problem is 1)It is a bit bulky, though not too much more than a full sized wallet alone is, but it is still a bit more bulky 2)It's not easy getting your money or credit card out. I have to open the T2, pull out this purse, unzip it, get out my card, and then when I try to return the wallet, inevitably the other stuff has fallen in the way and it won't go back in without me taking the time to rearrange the stuff to fit it in. I tried solving this problem with the little tiny bag that T2 has that will clip on the strap (usually just use it inside the bag as a wallet) and I have my most used cards and some cash in that. That works for the most part, but I have to remember to move the cards if I take my purse out (when its just me), and just other little things. So this is what I am doing, and I feel like there must be a better way, so I'd like to know how you guys do this!!

Basically- how do you have your money available to you quickly, and how do you have things arranged so that you can quickly go out by yourself without totally redoing bags?

Thanks for any ideas!

audball
02-24-2005, 05:24 PM
I used to do the same thing (even bought a Loom Watermelon clutch for this purpose), until I realized, I go out with the diaper bag a lot more than I got out by myself! So I just did away with the purse on the inside of the bag altogether, got myself the smallest wallet I could find (3"x4"x1") and use that in my diaper bag instead.

I figure that most of the time, when I just pack for myself, I need to re-organize what I bring anyway (sometimes I need the checkbook or take a different car so I have to switch key sets) - I may as well stay more prepared for situations where I have the kids than when I'm on my own! I just keep a mental list of what I need for myself when I'm out alone:
*keys
*cell phone
*wallet
*pen
*sunglasses

audball
02-24-2005, 05:24 PM
Sorry - double post!

MamaKath
02-24-2005, 10:18 PM
The system I used the longest was a wristlet with a light interior and little strap. It is like a pocket with a zipper, fairly small. I kept my cards, some cash, and my phone in it when I just needed to run out and it fit in my pocket. I have tried just about everything since, and currently use a wallet from my mom (Christmas gift, don't think it is working for me though :-( no matter how thoughtful). I am really thinking about going back to the wristlet.

HTH~

Rach3975
02-25-2005, 12:17 AM
When DS was a newborn, I used a purse inside my diaper bag, figuring it would make it much easier to go out without him. Within a few months, I realized that I made 10 (or more!) trips with him for every one alone. The purse idea got scrapped since it was a pain to get to my stuff. Now I buy diaper bags that have a separate compartment (preferably an exterior one) for my stuff, which keeps me organized and makes it fairly easy to change bags. I also have a very small wallet, the Fossil one that has a key chain attached, an exterior license slot, and is sized just big enough for folded cash and credit cards. I keep it in my pocket most of the time, which makes for easy access and fewer worries when I have to leave my bag unattended to chase DS. Inside my diaper bag I have a larger wallet/pouch with non-essential cards (grocery store, CVS, Blockbuster, etc).

kkb99
02-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Thanks for your suggestions! As I was reading them, I was agreeing with you about how little I actually go out on my own. My sister gave me a really pretty (smallish) purse for xmas, and I was thinking if I switched to a slimer wallet, I could pull it and my keys and phone over to it when I'm on my own.

Now for a follow up question- and some of this is anwered above- do you separate out the cards you use a lot from the infrequent ones? I have all these cards- museum memberships, library cards, etc, that I only occassionally use, but if I don't have them in my bag, they get forgotten. (you can imagine my extreme annoyance with myself when after an hour of searching out a stack of books off the 1st and 2nd grade reading lists at the library, all while my 2 little girls were either running wild like lunatics or screaming- and then realize that I left ALL 5 of our library cards in my desk at home!!). So one slimish wallet for everything? Or one slimish wallet and another even smaller one for bare necessities?

Suggestions for where to buy a non-expensive, slim (yet will hold all my stuff!) wallet?

Thanks for the help!!

Rach3975
02-26-2005, 12:57 AM
I love my Fossil mini-wallet. Fossil's site has it listed for $18, and I bought mine at Macy's for about that much. It's so thin that I usually keep it in the pocket of my jeans. Outside there is a clear card slot for a license. Inside there are 3 credit card slots, a small zip section where I keep folded cash, and 2 additional sections large enough for multiple credit cards (ex--I have 2 insurance cards and a AAA card in one). Here's a picture of the outside from Fossil's site.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22144.jpg

To see the inside, click on this link and choose the 3-D view. If this one turns out to be too small, check out some of the other Fossil wallets. I think most are relatively slim.

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10334&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1034&iSubCat=1041&iProductID=10334&selectedcolor=1602&itemType=PRODUCT#

Rach3975
02-26-2005, 01:16 AM
I just re-read your message, and I only answered part of your question. I use the Fossil wallet above for essentials, and everything else goes in a zip coin pouch like this:

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=10332&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=927&iSubCat=1034&iProductID=10332&selectedcolor=1602

Mine is actually a Relic, which is Fossil's lower end brand. I got it in Sears for about $10. I keep the pouch in my everyday diaper bag and tend not to bring it when I change to something smaller or go out by myself. Not a perfect system, but it works better for me than anything else I've tried.

Before I used this 2 wallet system, I used a Fossil wallet like this, minus the butterflies.

http://www.fossil.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=19465&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=927&iSubCat=1034&iProductID=19465&selectedcolor=1836

I kept all my non-essential cards in the zip coin section. The wallet was still reasonably slim packed like that, but it wouldn't have fit in my pocket.

Kimberly H
02-26-2005, 07:45 AM
I have a small wallet similar to this one for my cash, most used cards (grocery, TGIFridays) and then another small zippered coin purse that I keep in the car and use for cards we don't need as often.

To answer your other question, I work outside the home so I need a purse but when I'm going out with Mia, I just move my small wallet, cell phone and keys to the diaper bag where I have a specific place to put them. I keep lip gloss, breath mints, etc. in the diaper bag all the time so I only have to move those 3 things.

heatherlynn
02-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, I think I finally found a system that seems to be working for me! I had a small wallet for just a few cards that had a keychain attached, but I kept forgetting cards when I would go out, so I scrapped that system pretty quickly. Then I had one of those wallet on a string things, but it was too big for my diaper bag. Now I have a wallet that has all my cards in it (CC, library, hospital, insurance, etc), money, license, receipts, etc. It's about the size of a checkbook but probably a tad longer and when full it's about an inch or so thick. I can fit it in one of the front pockets of my skip hop easily. I also have my sunglasses/case in that pocket. My cell is in the cell pocket on the SH. When I go out by myself, I use my new One Cool Chick messenger bag. I love this bag! It's light and has a messenger strap which I can shorten if I want to wear it on my shoulder. When I go out by myself, I put my calender (about 8x5 or so), wallet, sunglasses/case, keys, and cell (in one of the front pockets). This is working out extremely well for me. Not so big and so many pockets that I fill it up w/ stuff I'll never need, but roomy enough for my stuff w/ out it getting lost (I stand everything up vertical-wise).

Geez, I wrote a book here! Anyway, the OCC bag has been awesome! Like I said, I loooove it!

Good luck.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04

kkb99
02-26-2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I like those Fossil wallets! Thinking about trying one out. But trying to decide if I need one that has my checkbook in it too. Got some shopping to do!