PDA

View Full Version : Made some decisions; is there a bag out there for me??

Judegirl
02-26-2005, 12:02 AM
Sorry to post on this again, but I came to some conclusions...does it exist??

1. I don't want a tote, or a backback, or an across-the-chest bag. I want something boxy that I can wear on my shoulder, that will stand up on its own if it's packed. Does anyone make diaper bags shaped something like this:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22138.gif

?

2. I would prefer that it not have a flap over the top, but just zip up so I can just stick one free hand into it as I go.

3. I'm probably going have to spend more than $40. But if it gets crazy, I'd sooner stick to my plastic grocery bags!

4. As long as it doesn't have flowers or bunnies or duckies, I don't care what it looks like.

5. It needs to have a removable changing pad and I still need a bunch of pockets.

Thanks to those who have helped already, and in advance for any ideas.

Jude

murpheyblue
02-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Jude:

I don't know of a bag that meets all of your criteria but I'm still thinking. Have you considered a SkipHop?

1. It's like the bag you picture but it is taller and doesn't stand up well on it's own. You could also consider the new one, the Expo which looks like it'll stand up better.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=63&topic_id=19667&mode=full&page=4

2. No flap.

3. You can get a SkipHop for around $50 and the new Expo is $64.

4. No bunnies.

5. Removable changing pad and oodles of pockets inside and out.

The other bag you might like is the Fleurville Alpha 7. It's boxier than the SkipHop and will stand up well. Tons of pockets and removable changing pad. It's pricier than the SkipHop though and it has a flap. You can probably get a good price on one on E-Bay or on swap.

Rach3975
02-26-2005, 12:34 AM
I suspect someone has already mentioned this to you, given its recent popularity, but just in case, check out the LL Bean Diaper Bag. It's somewhat boxy, stands well on its own, has a flapless zip top, lots of interior and exterior pockets, and can be worn on just one shoulder or as a messenger bag. There is a removable changing pad in the back compartment, but it's pretty small. You could easily buy one separately and stick it in that pocket, if that works better for you. The LL Bean Large Travel Touring Bag is exactly the same minus the changing pad (does have the pocket for it, it's just empty), but it comes in more colors, has a different colored light interior, and is $29 instead of $36.

Here's a few pictures, since I don't think the ones on LL Bean's site are very good. (My pictures are actually of the Large Travel Touring Bag.)

Good luck finding your dream bag!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22139.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22142.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/22143.jpg

Judegirl
02-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Thanks! I like that bag a lot, actually. On the LL Bean site, though, the Touring bag does not have the two pockets on the right side...did they change it, or do you think it's a mistake? Yours has the pockets, as does the diaper bag...but not the Travel Touring bag.

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=1&categoryId=35996&parentCategory=4520&cat4=2913&productId=624060&display_id=47148&feat=sr&catalog_id=TA&from=&rtnComp=&attrValue_1=Powder%20Blue

Jude

amp
02-26-2005, 08:35 AM
I'd also just go look at Target and Walmart and BRU. Each of those stores has diaper bags that are not fancy, but stand up all on their own, have some pockets, may or may not have a changing pad (but I find most are less than stellar and use my own), many have a shoulder strap and they are affordable. We bought our Eddie Bauer (Target one, not from EB catalog) at Target before DS was born, and before I read about all the other dipe bags out there, and it was one of our favs. No cutesie pictures, no flap, shoulder bag. DH loved it more than the other bags I've bought.

And I second the recommendation for the LLBean bag, although I find it to be a bit on the large side.

I really think that before you go spend a bunch of money on a bag you aren't sure of, you buy an llbean bag or just to Target, Walmart and BRU and take a peek at what they have. I see bags there all the time I think about buying and you might find something.

Oh, and that bag you took a pic of...use it! You don't have to use a dipe bag as a dipe bag. There is a lot of popularity here over a bag called the Timbuk2, and it isn't even touted as a diaper bag. Many people don't use actual diaper bags. Just use what works for you!

callalillyanne
02-26-2005, 11:02 AM
This is not a fancy bag either, but you might consider the Catini Roma Mid City Tote. I received it as a gift and hadn't even picked it up since my daughter was born...then the other day I decided to take a look at it and I opened it up and discovered it has all of these pockets!It looks really well organized- there is a vinyl dirty duds pouch, a separate mommy bag, and TONs of compartments! It's not unatractive- it is is very dark navy blue microfiber nylon (almost looks black). And is a medium sized sort of boxy tote.

Anyway, I think it is only $25 at Babies R Us or Amazon. HTH!

callalillyanne
02-26-2005, 11:41 AM
I was just looking at your original post and realized that you said you don't want a tote...This bag doesn't look like a tote that you would find on ebay, it is more boxy, kind of like a small kate spade or something....not exactly the same, but similar. Maybe I am being vague here, but I would take a look still! Again, HTH!

Mikesa3
02-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Not the poster you're asking but wanted to jump in in case you are in a hurry to know so you can order it. The large Touring has those same pockets as the diaper bag.The only differences is that it's gray inside and has no changing pad.For some dumb reason LL Bean uses the picture of the small Touring for both bags pictures.HTH
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids