PDA

View Full Version : I need another bag - really!

TonFirst
02-28-2005, 12:31 AM
I love Love LOVE my PPB Dynamite Roll Boxy Backpack. It holds everything I need, it's easy to get things in and out of it, it's well-organized, and EVERY DAY, someone compliments me on my beautiful diaper bag.

But, in a few weeks, we're going to the Netherlands to visit my ex-pat parents. While I have no doubt that my PPB would be just fine for our daily jaunts through Amsterdam and beyond, we will be outdoors A LOT, and I worry about what that much rain and damp (Northern Europe in April, and my parents live on the North Sea, and there's always some kind of mist or rain and a lot of sand, also), the silk brocade fabric might not be up to the task. I've decided to buy another bag for the trip.

I only use my PPB as a backpack. Shoulder bags and messenger bags drive me batty - even my husband's Little Tripper drives me bonkers when I use it for a quick trip to the store. I want something that's extremely rain-resistant, and that holds as much (or more) as my PPB and is equal or better than the PPB with functionality and organization.

Right now, I'm leaning towards a Timi & Leslie backpack in the Blake stripe (and kicking myself for ignoring the co-op a while back). Is there anything else out there I should consider? I'm not interested in a LD DIA or anything like that - I like my bags to be ultra-girly and fetching (hence my love for my PPB).

Thanks in advance for your help!

audball
02-28-2005, 10:18 AM
First off, that's great that you are venturing out of the country with a little one! I'm sure your baby will love the new surroudings :).

I can only comment on the Timi and Leslie backpack - I have one in Mia and I found that it wasn't the MOST comfortable on me. I don't know if you have tried one on, but the back of the backpack doesn't conform to your back (I'm short - 5'2"). The pads are very cushiony and comfortable, but there is a bit of a gap between my upper back and the top of the backpack.

The other thing (and I'm not bashing T&L - honest! They have been good to me) is that I currently am in the process of returning mine and getting a new one because there was a pinpoint hole in the vinyl of the pocket (the vinyl there is a little more exposed, due to the size of the pocket). I was VERY careful with this bag and only had it for 2 months. Many people here love their T&Ls, but I just wanted to let you know that the vinyl can have some issues as well.

I would vote for the Posh Baby baby bag. It converts, similar to the PPB (actually they look very similar!), and the waterpoof fabrics are great, apparently. There have been some very positive reviews in the last few months - just do a search on "posh baby bags" in the advanced search section. It's a little pricey, but apparently well worth it! :)

dules
02-28-2005, 12:04 PM
Check out the Chester backpacks...they are comfy as backpacks and incredibly lightweight. The fabric feels like it would be impervious to damp, but doesn't feel like a raincoat, if you know what I mean.

Best,
Mary

TonFirst
02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
The PPB has a similar gap, and it really doesn't bug me all that much.

I'm actually leaning more towards the T&L because it *doesn't* look like my PPB - and also because while I love the PPB backpack functionality, my only big beef is that those straps are slippery and they never stay in the position I put them in for long - after a day or two of slinging it on and off of my back, the straps are as long as they can be, and I have to readjust them. I think I'd like the T&L straps.

But - I also love that I can use the messender strap D-rings to hook my PPB to my UCSC and my Peg P3 with carabiners. Can I do that with the T&L? (Not that it matters with the P3 and the UCSC for Europe - my mother owns a Quinny that we'll be using over there.)

callalillyanne
02-28-2005, 12:06 PM
I would second the vote for the posh baby bag. At first all of I could think of that met your criteria were the A7 in vinyl or the chester backpack....but when I read the above response, I thought the posh baby bag would be the way to go. They have some pretty cute prints and the last time I checked they were having a sale on their website. IMO, you should check it out :)

TonFirst
02-28-2005, 12:20 PM
But does the Posh Baby have the same kinds of back straps as the PPB? I can't find any photos of the backside of the Posh.

audball
02-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes, the Posh Baby has similar straps to the PPB. If the straps are your dealbreaker, then I would opt for the T&L backpack (just be a little cautious!). The Alpha 7s sound good (probably vinyl-coated if you are concerned about rain), but I think they are a little small - especially compared to the T&L (which is a great size and has a handy-dandy side-zip entry).

ETA: you can double-check the bag on poshbaby.com. Also, you could consider the Loom Bandicoot, but it's quite small...

callalillyanne
02-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Someone did a review of their posh and posted the pics which includes a shot of the backside. Here's the link:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=63&topic_id=20393&mesg_id=20393&page=

HTH :)

TonFirst
02-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Okay - I'm *thisclose* to being sold on the Posh Baby bag in Twirl. I love that it's the same boxy shape as the PPB, because the more I think about it, the more I really like the shape of my PPB, and I love that the Posh bag has more interior pockets than the PPB (thanks for that link!). The straps look less silky than the PPB straps, if that makes sense, so maybe the strap-slipping issue won't be as much of a nuisance.

Should I go for it? Has anyone seen Twirl IRL?

callalillyanne
02-28-2005, 07:08 PM
I would go for it! I also like the twirl print (that and tessa), but I haven't seen them irl. I think there is something about the subtlety and softness of the prints that makes them look sophisticated and fun at the same time.

I think that the organization would be a really good thing to have when you are visiting another country with your baby. In fact, looking at the posh bag again has made me reconsider the MS that I have been planning to get for our trip across country next month.

If you do get one check out showeryourbaby.com. They have them on sale ($10 off). HTH, can't wait to hear what you get!

ps- My baby was born 5 days after yours :)

TonFirst
02-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Okay! I just ordered the Posh Baby Ultimate Diaper Bag in Mocca - I figure that if I don't love it, I have plenty of time to exchange it before our trip.

I'm a pretty light diaper bag packer - Adam's EBF, so I rarely bring bottles anywhere - just a couple of spare onesies, an extra sleeper, four or five diapers, wipes, a burp cloth or two, my wallet, planner, and cell phone, a trashy novel to read if I have to wait somewhere, some butt paste, some Purell, and a little wee Whoozit. Even for the long plane ride over to Amsterdam, I don't think I'll need a ton of stuff - just a few more diapers than normal and two spare outfits.

Yay! I'm excited. I'll do some side-by-side photos with the Posh and my PPB when my new bag arrives.

callalillyanne
02-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Great! I'd love to see it! I saw that Mocca print and it looks nice...good decision! I am a pretty light packer too, but I love lots of pockets! i really think you made a good choice...i guess only time will tell!

audball
03-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Yay! That would be the color I would pick (next to the Twirl). I saw a skateboarder chick here with a Twirl Posh Baby. It looked like it had been through a lot and was still holding up well. They are made here in Portland, OR :)! Now if she only had a discount store in town (sigh)...