PDA

View Full Version : Plain old backpack? EB mini backpack?

quinnsmom
03-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Has anyone ever used a plain old backpack for a diaper bag? I like the backpack style of a diaper bag for comfort purposes -but every backpack sytle bag I see (that I like) is out of my price range.

I figure I can put a changing pad and bottle insulator in the bag (they sell those seperately) and use ziplocks for everything else. Does anyone do this?

I really don't want to spend more than $30-40 on one. I get bored with things quickly and don't want to inves too much before I move on to a new bag!

I saw one of the BabyTrend backpacks today at BRU for $13.99 clearance -but it is a tad "blah" looking.

I really like the look and size of this Eddie Bauer bag: http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?product_id=26724&cm_cg=T147P20492&c=&fcolor=433

Any opinions? Is this not a practical/functional idea?

Does anyone have this particular backpack?

(I am also looking for a functional backpack that won't look like I am setting off to backpack across Europe!!!)

Thanks! :)

alaible
03-03-2005, 07:18 PM
I guess it depends on what you want in terms of organization. Regular backpacks wouldn't have enough pockets and sippy holders for my needs. I got the Lands End backpack that is on their overstock page (its in your price range) and I like that it has several compartments, sippy/bottle holders, and even a parent pouch so I don't have to carry a seperate purse if I don't want to. But if you don't need all that organization I think a regular backpack would work fine.

MamaKath
03-03-2005, 07:35 PM
I can't comment specifically on that backpack though I LOVE the colors it is available in! It is not overly small though.

I have used many backpacks, especially those not meant as baby bags. :-) When I just had one kiddo and carried the basic stuff (dipes and wipes, changing pad, change of clothes and blanket, my stuff) it was fine. After I had my second and as they have gotten older I find I carry a backpack when I need a lot of stuff (basically organized into four areas- diapering, toys, food, my stuff). Unfortunately most backpacks are designed for carrying tall items like books. When I put my stuff for babies or kids, and me, it tends to fall to the bottom and bunch up in a wierd way weight wise. I ended up switching to a backpack meant for diapering days which provides enough organization to really balance where the weight ends up on your back.

I know there are some great Lands End backpacks, including one on the overstocks page (these can be returned to Sears, saving shipping back if it isn't the bag for you). The BabyBags and various Baby Swap groups are good places to look for gently used pre-loved bags that just didn't meet someone's personal needs. Sometimes you can even find the same bags sold for different purposes (like the OneStepAhead backpack and a firearms supplier that sells a nearly identical bag for a fraction of the cost). Even overstock places like www.Sierratradingpost.com and clearance sections places like www.campmor.com www.rei.com www.landsend.com and www.llbean.com have well designed bags that may well work, as well as sometimes offering diaper backpacks discounted. Even places like Nordstrom's Rack sometimes have bags like the Kecci's discounted at times.

HTH~

ETA- One feature I have found important on backpacks is the lighter interior. The black hole on many of them is ridiculous! Also if you are looking for a minimalist bag the JJ Cole Essentials is a sling style one that feels like a slim backpack.

Rach3975
03-05-2005, 12:04 AM
Nice bag, especially for that price!

A friend of mine has a regular backpack that she uses as a diaper bag. She's been using it with her twins from day one, and they're 17 months old now. It has a few exterior compartments, and I think she relies on Ziplocks to keep the main section organized. I know it works well for her.

I started out with an earlier version of the Lands End diaper backpack, one with no interior pockets and a dark interior. (BTW--I've heard the new ones are much better, but given the size you seem to be looking at, it's probably too big.) At the time I thought it was okay and used a few cosmetic bags and mesh bags to keep it organized. Now that I've used a few bags with a light interior and more pockets, including 1 not meant as a diaper bag, I wish I'd saved the $30 I spent on that first bag. So in my experience it isn't whether the bag is meant as a diaper bag or not, but whether it has the features you think are important and will fit your stuff well.