PDA

View Full Version : Cute Striped bag with the Laminate coating...only 16.99?!?

MamaKath
03-07-2005, 07:07 PM
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_9/601-4057141-9019348?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B00064ZDA2

Very cute, don't know what the quality is as I haven't seen them in store, but might be worth a looksee.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00064ZDA2.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Here is another cute one-
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_4/601-4057141-9019348?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0006N5H1I

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006N5H1I.16._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

alaible
03-07-2005, 07:32 PM
That top one has been getting lots of interest on one of the baby bag boards. I made a special trip to my target to look for one and my local store didn't carry it. But I know there have been a few purchased by members of the other board. Can't hardly go wrong for that price. I may have to break down and order one online if my local store doesn't get them in soon.

firsttimemommy
03-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I just received it yesterday! Packed it up immediately, tried it on, unpacked it, went to target.com/returns and printed a return receipt to take it back!

I had planned to do a review as soon as I got some time, but I felt like I had to respond before more people ordered it!

ORGANIZATION
Not too bad - Inside there is one large mesh pocket that runs the length of the bag and three smaller regular pockets along the backside. It comes with a changing pad. Exterior has two side bottle pockets and one pocket that runs the length of the bag along the back.

CONSTRUCTION
The deal killer for me - tt is VERY VERY flimsy and floppy. The material is VERY VERY thin. The whole bag looks and feels "cheap" to me. The only good thing to this thin, flimsy feel is that it is VERY lightweight. Economically, a LE or LL Bean is a FAR FAR better deal - excellent sturdy quality materials and construction with an albeit higher, but still reasonable price tag.

SIZE
I have never had a MS, so I can't compare, but it can hold quite a bit of stuff. I put all my "regular" stuff in it (2 dipes, wipe box, bib, spoon, applesauce, bottle, formula container, wallet, 2 lip gloss, powder, small cosmetic bag with meds and stuff in it, phone, sunglasses, fruit snacks for DD and Krave bar for me, sippy and water bottle in outside pockets, pocket calendar) and there was room to spare!

OTHER
Strap is not adustable and wearing it on my shoulder it is too long (but may be great for a taller gal - I'm 5'4") Messenger style fit was ok though. After packing it up, it kinda sags where the weight of the stuff is. The colors are very cute though!

OVERALL
It is definitely not my style. It would be a great bag for an "extra" in the car maybe, or one you just don't care about messing up. This bag is $16.99 - and worth about $16.99 quality wise (but hey, it's still only $16.99 and not $150, right?)

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

hipmaman
03-08-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey Kath,

I wonder how the first one compared to the Dinatelli (Walmart Canada). I know there have been moms bought it, reviewed it and not liking either one (Mandaley at Target and Dinatelli). But I really want to know if there are more subjective opinions out there. Because while I like the Fleurville MS and other more expensive bags, I am not one to spend so much on a diaper bag, especially when my kids are not in diapers anymore, kwim ;) I have my vices in other baby stuff, not so far not diaper bags (yet!). I bought the white cord Dinatelli and don't mind it at all, if I feel in the mood for something other than my usual 'sporty' bags/backpack.

I really like the prettier and more high-end diaper bags than those I got when my kids were little, but I don't mind some of these 'cheaper' ones and would like to have some fair comparison to their likes, instead of trying to 'raise the bar' to something like the Fleurville MS

No flame please. Thanks.

saschalicks
03-08-2005, 12:00 PM
I saw it at my local Target, but quickly made myself walk away b/c DH would kill me if I got one more diaper bag. However, two days later I came up w/an excuse to bring it home. I had a baby shower for someone I didn't want to spend a lot of money on. I bought the bag, plus things to put in it. The person I bought it for probably won't use it too much b/c she's more of a black bag person, but she's having a girl, and I wanted to get her something girly. PP was right it was quite flimsy, but looked like it could hold a lot. For $16.99 it was totally worth it. I think it would definitely last the new born stage when you carry the most. Although I'm a heavy packer so it would last me longer. HTH

firsttimemommy
03-08-2005, 03:52 PM
I agree that people have preferences as to what types of things in their life they will spend more for (for better quality) vs. what "will do just fine" (lesser quality). That is why I take all reviews on this board with a tiny grain of salt. I gave my personal opinion in the previous post based on my "values" (if you want to call an emphasis on diaper bag quality a value!! LOL), but I put more importance on bags, (and clothes and shoes much to my DH's dismay) than many of my friends, who are perfectly happy with their Winnie the Pooh diaper bag from Walmart, do! LOL

I also think people (including myself) have a tendency to do a comparative type review b/c these bags (Mandalay and Dinatelli) tend to be labelled as knockoffs or at least seem to be copying a higher end brand's style.

So speaking more subjectively - for $16.99 it's a great bag. I can't compare to the Dinatelli, but the Mandalay had decent organization, was lightweight, very pretty colors and could be worn messenger style. I still think I am going to return it, but a small part of me thinks maybe I should just keep it as it would be a great bag to take to the beach or someplace like that and I wouldn't have to worry about it!!! Although thanks to Gina I also have my whalebag for the beach!!!! (it's awesome)

But for $16.99 you really can't go wrong!!!! It is waaaay cuter and has more character than any bag in that price range!! So if your budget is very tight, this one is a definite contender!

HTH!

Ronda
Proud Mommy to 2 adorable munchkins - 1/03 and 4/04

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes........that way you are a mile away and you have their shoes."

hipmaman
03-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Thank you for that. I'm not sure if I would get to see it irl though. One of these day ;)