PDA

View Full Version : Changing pad recommendataions!

nd93
03-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Hello, I am shopping for a changing pad that I can use at home on the floor. My DS is too wiggly now for the changing table so I now change him and my toddler DD on the floor. I had been using extra ones from old diaper bags, but the vinyl has cracked and ripped. I really like the look of the patemm pads, but I don't know if I can justify $30-40 for a changing pad! Does anyone out there have a recommendation? Or reasons why I should go with the patemm? I know BRU, Target, etc sell cheaper ones, but do you get what you pay for?

Thanks a bunch!

alaible
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
I got a fuzzi bunz changing pad. Or I guess mother of eden is the brand but they are the makers of the fuzzi bunz cloth diapers. Anyway I got the pad for a timbuk2 bag that didn't come with a pad and I really like it. It isn't plasticky like some of the store brands. It is fleecy on one side and the same on the other side as the fuzzi bunz diapers if you are familiar with them. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was in the $10-$15 range.

tribegirl3
03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I have a patemm pad and really like it. I know it seems a bit high to pay for a changing pad but I had the same problem with my son being too wiggly for our changing table. It folds up nice and small and my son even plays with it when he's not being changed! The oilcloth material is nice but should only be spot cleaned, you can't machine wash it so that is something you might want to consider. I have the large and I have only put 2 diapers and a plastic wipes container in it and it still folds up nicely (not too bulky). I am not sure if you can really put a change of clothes in it, I haven't tried. I use it for changing him on the floor but am considering getting a second one for the diaper bag. I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any questions about the pad.

Angie

nd93
03-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Hi Angie, I was afraid someone would say it was great! Now I'll really have to think about getting one. Which pattern do you have? I can't decide between the patrick or the jack. Which size do you have? I think I'd prefer the large. But maybe I should cut some circles out of newspaper to get a feel for the 2 sizes, maybe the smaller one would be ok. How long have you had it? I wonder if it will crack at the folds eventually (like the pads I had been using did). I'm wondering if I would really use it eventually as the only diaper bag, when you get to the point where you only need a couple of diapers in the car just in case.

Thanks for the info!

tribegirl3
03-09-2005, 09:40 AM
Hi! I haven't had the patemm pad very long, probably a few weeks? I have to say that I was a little skeptical at the price too but it's really worth it. If you do a search online, you can find an oilcloth apron in the mid $20s and splat mats for btw. $20-30 so that is how I justified the price. I ordered a large Jack for myself and a small Emma for a friend of mine. The small is a very nice size if you are going to throw it in a diaper bag. I am a small diaper bag kinda girl anyways so the large won't fit in my teeny tiny bags but will definitely fit into the freebie from the hospital or the Graco ones at BRU. It's nice to have the pad b/c if DH is going to change the baby, you can just hand over the pad and it has all the supplies readily available. The large when opened is about the size of our play gym. Considering my son is almost 1, I thought that was the best size for me to get. It's perfect for wiggle time, I mean changing time! The only other thing about the larger size is I am not sure how it would fit in one of the changing stations of a public restroom. I like it so much I am considering buying a second for the car or my tiny diaper bags! I hope this helps!

Angie

skipperlou
03-09-2005, 12:57 PM
I got a Patemm pad for Christmas and love it! Since DD is only 6 months old, I mostly keep it in the car, stocked, for use at other people's homes or a quick change in the car. However, I bought the large, anticipating when she gets too wiggly for the changing table, this will become our main changing pad in the house. I used to change my son on blankets on the floor, but it was a huge mess if he pee'd or had a BM.

We just spent a week on vacation and we used the Patemm in the hotel room as our changing pad. It was perfect! She was completely on the pad, even when she rolled over!

I do use disposable incontinence pads for the diaper bag for use on public changing tables. You could use those (as big as the Huggies disposable changing pads), but at 18 for $8, you'll be up to the cost of the Patemm in a matter of months.

HTH!
Lara

amp
03-09-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm just curious, but why do you even need to use a changing pad on the floor? We don't. But we have carpet. I don't know if that's the issue for you or not. If it's for protection from peeing, I don't think a pad will even stop that from leaving the pad area. When I do use a pad sometimes on our bed if he's poopy, but I just use the cheapo sheet saver pads from Target/BRU that are kind of fuzzy/felt-y. They aren't great quality, but who cares. You could also just use a towel, or reuse a disposable Huggies pad. Just some ideas.

Momof3Labs
03-09-2005, 02:39 PM
That's what I would do, too - towel, receiving blanket, something like that. Go to the fabric store and buy a yard of fleece (washes up sooooo easy). But then I hate those vinyl padded changing pads when we are out too - take up so much room, and I hate putting a dirty (from the changing table) pad back in my bag. I prefer thin receiving blankets, which give better coverage and can be crammed in a small grocery bag to go home and be washed.

nd93
03-09-2005, 03:03 PM
I have just always liked them. If I'm changing in the bathroom, the floor is hard and I'd like a little cushion. I think any mess would just soak through a receiving blanket or fabric. I have changed my kids on the bed or floor at my parent's house, and I would hate to make a mess at someone else's place. I've thought about making something but sometimes that is no cheaper than buying somthing, especially if you can find a sale or coupon. My toddler daughter is so used to it she looks for the mat and likes to get it out and unfold it. She is not happy right now that there isn't one! People have different preferences.

tribegirl3
03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
I agree with nd93, I just like having it "just in case" Especially with a boy...and those fountains! Whoo! We did wash every 2 days in the beginning! I just like the reassurance it gives me.

nd93
03-09-2005, 06:53 PM
Ok Patemm ladies, I think you've convinced me to order one. I love the idea about how you can just take that to a changing room with you, rather than the whole bag. Angie, how are you liking the Jack pattern? I think I'm leaning towards that one over the Patrick. I just need to decide on a size. One more question - how does the pad stay together when folded up?

I'm sooo disappointed that the coop did not work out - it would have made my decision a lot easier. I hate paying full price for things.

Thanks a bunch for all of the info!

tribegirl3
03-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi! I hope this helps, I am going to try to post some pictures. I am new to the board so if it doesn't work, please PM me and I can e-mail you the pics directly. I really like the Jack pattern, it's a little lighter in color than I thought it would be, from the website it looks like there is more blue in it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/tribegirl3/e29669b5.jpg

The pad is divided into three sections, the two outer sections fold into the middle and then you just fold up the ends. It's a little hard to explain but when you see it IRL, it all makes sense ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/tribegirl3/b479f3b7.jpg

And last but not least, here is a picture of my 11 month old son on it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/tribegirl3/42145190.jpg

Here is also something I thought was really cute!
http://www.hugabugbaby.com/playmats1.html

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions :-)

Angie

callalillyanne
03-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, now you've convinced me to get a Patemm too! I had been contemplating it for an upcoming trip cross country to stay at my parents' house. It will be easy to spread out on the floor and stuff (they have hardwood floors). Also, I wanted a separate changing pad to go inside of my PPB bag since I am paranoid about using their fold out one (don't want to have to dry clean!). My DD is only 3 mos. Does anyone have any idea which size would be best? Will I really use the pockets?

nd93
03-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Thank you so much! The pictures are wonderful! We have that sleeper and blue elephant, so maybe we should get the Jack so we can keep matching you! When is your son's birthday? My son will be one on Apr 18.

Too cute! Thanks again for all the info you've given!

tribegirl3
03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
OHMYGOSH!!!!! Brady was born April 17th!!!! Are you throwing your son a great big birthday bash?

And I keep forgetting to mention...the pad can be closed with one hand! Whee! You will love it!

mom2aidan
03-10-2005, 08:24 AM
I like that patemn pad! It is really nice!
I may have to get one now!

Judegirl
03-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Is the Patemm cushy? I couldn't tell from the website how much padding it has? And will it fold up well to go in a diaper bag, or does it really function best as its own thing?

Thanks,
Jude

tribegirl3
03-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Hi Jude,
The patemm pad is lightly lined so it is cushy but not so much that it's overwhelming. I would say it has just the right amount of padding. It depends how much you put in it for the overall thickness and size. I have the large pad which is about 10x10" folded and inside the pockets I have 2-size 3 diapers and a small plastic wipes case. It folds up to maybe a couple inches thick. It's not very bulky but won't fit in my smaller totes which I use as diaper bags. It will fit in the traditional sized diaper bag like the freebie from the hospital or the Daytripper bag from Graco. I think that is the name of the bag I have! I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Angie

zapmansmom
03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
What is the website for patemn pad?
Thank you,
Claudine~Interior Designer

Mom to a Super Hero
named Zapman
aka(Zach) 5 months

tribegirl3
03-11-2005, 09:52 PM
www.patemm.com