PDA

View Full Version : Do newborns or older kids need bigger bags?

Canna
03-12-2005, 07:43 AM
I have heard people say that new babies require bigger diaper bags...and now with a 6 week-old first baby, I'm wondering why that is the case?

Is there something people are carrying in these bags that I'm not thinking of? All she seems to need is:

3-6 diapers (even that many is overkill usually) and they're small
2 extra outfits (also overkill) and they're small
hat
burp cloth
small pack of wipes
receiving blanket
Purell

I can toss in my sling, wallet, cell phone, water bottle, and digital camera and still not need anything bigger than a Skip Hop.

Now...I'm not cloth diapering, am BFing (no bottles), and not using any kind of diaper-rash treatment, don't use pacifiers. But still it seems like newborns don't need a lot of space. (No toys, books, food, etc.) I'm thinking that as DD gets older I'll actually need a bigger bag.

Momof3Labs
03-12-2005, 07:50 AM
My newborn bag was smaller than the Skip Hop (held your essentials but not a sling, water bottle, camera etc). I needed a bigger bag as DS started solids and needed toys to play with (he was also bf'd, and though we cloth diapered, we used sposies when out). Now, I still carry a few snacks and a sippy cup but again carry a smaller bag than the Skip Hop. So it goes full circle!!

egoldber
03-12-2005, 08:26 AM
It all depends on how much you pack. I easily used a LE Little Tripper until DD started solids. Once we started carrying solid foods and she required entertainment when out and about, I did need a bigger bag, until she was around 2 or so. After that, I was able to downsize back into a smaller bag.

HTH,

jerseygirl07067
03-12-2005, 03:26 PM
That's about what I carried. I used a small bag forever. Now DD is 14 months old and I pack lots of food, a cup for water and thus need a bigger bag...It's funny, you won't have to pack as many diapers, but food, toys, etc. take up a lot more room for me!

Marcy

cartersmom
03-13-2005, 01:30 AM
We definitely used a bigger bag while Carter was an infant and through his introduction to solid foods. After he was able to eat table food and had a much more predictible schedule we were better able to plan what went into the bag so we could downscale to a smaller bag.

mrsmac
03-13-2005, 05:49 PM
DD is 17 months and I need a bigger bag now than I did when she was a newborn. Of course I packed everything I could think of at first but soon realized I didn't need it all (like you said.) But now I'm taking snacks, sippys, toys, books, and occasionally a jacket or change of clothes. I am expecting DS in a few weeks and I don't plan on packing much more for him than a few diapers and a burp cloth LOL!) So, in case you were needing an excuse to do a little diaper bag shopping I hope that helps :) !
~Tanya

alaible
03-14-2005, 08:32 PM
We have needed a bigger bag as Paige got older. She was breastfed so I didn't need bottles and as she got older and started eating solid food she became a very picky eater requiring that we carry lots of snacks. If we could go out and not need to pack so many snacks for her we could get away with a much smaller bag. As she got older the toys that she wants to take with her have gotten bigger too. But some of the stuff we now need less of. She no longer needs several drool bibs or an extra outfit and unless we are going to be out all day I usually just take 2-3 diapers.

nov02mom
03-15-2005, 09:27 AM
I do carry bigger bags now that Jacob is a toddler. It takes alot of room, for little toys, books, SNACKS!, bigger sippy cups, bigger diapers (although not as many). I like the bigger bags better too!