PDA

View Full Version : Changes in the Timi and Leslie Mia Backpack? (photos - maybe updated style?)

audball
03-17-2005, 05:22 PM
I thought I may have issues with the vinyl with the Timi and Leslie backpack that I purchased from them not too long ago. CS there was nice (although not quite as accomodating as Chester!) and offered to send me a replacement backpack...

So today, I get my replacement bag. Their CS sent me an email saying
that the Mia brocade had changed - it's now a "darker green". I'll
say! It's more of a moss color, so the bag is almost a coppery
green. I actually like it more than the original Mia color - which
was pretty, but almost too kelly green for me. So, change #1.

My biggest beef about the backpack was that it was bulky - both just
empty and while packed,on. I attributed it to the stiffness of the
vinyl. In the interim, theyseemed to have changed the vinyl to a
more pliable version. The vinyl had always been quite pliable when
compared to a MS, but now it's really nice! The bag folds easier
and even seems lighter. It's still vinyl sewn on, but it may resist
holes better. Even so, I still see stress in the front pocket - so
who is to say. Change #2: the vinyl

The backpack straps have been moved so that they are placed higher
up on the back of the backpack. No more big gape between your
shoulders and the bag! I didn't realize how much that bothered me
earlier until I had my Chester Backpacks on...Change #3: placement
of the straps.

And finally, I always had to pull the heck out of the drawstring
top. They changed the drawstring itself - it's much thinner and
doesn't fray. It pulls easily and stays tight. Change #4 (for the
better)!

Of course, now I'm torn about what to do because I was so convinced
that I was selling it (I have a friend who is interested). The
thing is, I almost really like it now enough to keep it! What to do,
what to do...:)..

Photos of my old and new (of course not side by side) enclosed:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23039.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23040.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23042.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23043.jpg

suzhatch1
04-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Hi there - I was just eye-balling (and drooling) over the new Timi & Leslie Backpack in Garnet. It's beautiful! (I have a Kecci already in Chartreuse which is similiar to your T&L in the photos above, otherwise that one would be on my list, too) :)

I'm curious if you happen to have any photos of the inside, or if you could maybe just answer a couple questions about the interior of the new T&L backpack?

What color is the interior lining? If it's black - do you get that "black-hole" effect where stuff gets lost?

How is the organization? I know it has a couple of seperated pockets, but also heard it still has 1 big deep pocket in the middle where stuff falls to the bottom?

Are there any bottle pockets on the inside (or outside) that are easily reachable for an Avent size bottle - or - an adult water bottle?

And last, now that you've had it for awhile, do you still love it as much as your original post last month - or - have you found anything that you would change? For $150 I'm debating about whether it's worth it, or if I should get another Kecci along with a Skip Hop Dash (probably 2 for the price) ;)

Thanks in advance!
Suz

audball
04-21-2005, 11:26 AM
Hey There...yes, the new fabrics are gorgeous. I feel fortunate that I got the newer version of the Mia, because I think the richer brown-green is so much prettier to me than what I had (which was also quite nice. I have enclosed a pic of the interior of the older bag I had. The new bag doesn't have too many new changes - just an additional key clip on the left side (the version in the picture only has one key clip on the right side).

The interior lining will depend on the bag you choose. If the nylon accent is a certain color on the outside (you can see on the backpack straps or on the bottom of the backpack), it will be the matching color on the interior. So my bag is a brown nylon on the inside. It doesn't have the typical "black hole" effect of a black interior, but the deep central space does make things get a little jumbled up in there (which answers your other question). I put the dipes (I have two in diapers) in the front interior pockets, the bottle in the bottle pocket (leaving the sippy accessible through the side zipper, which is so cool), and disposable bags on one key clip, my keys on the other key clip. I don't use the internal back zip pocket too much because it goes right up against your back, and so far I haven't found anything (other than tissues) soft and squishy enough for the back pocket (like my Palm Pilot, which just doesn't work for me back there).

The bottle pocket (there is only one insulated one) can easily fit a 9oz avent or a smaller water bottle.

I do love the bag, but let me be honest. I don't have a lot of "feminine" pretty bags...I lean toward more clean line/gender neutral bags (A7 in red canvas, Loom Marsupial, Chester backpacks in boring colors :)...), and this is the only "pretty print" bag I have. The fact that it's a backpack is awesome because my DS just started walking, so now I have two to chase.

But, I'm still getting used to a vinyl-coated bag. It takes a lot to just have me "let go" and say I'm keeping this bag and using it as I ususally would. That means, putting it on the floor on occasion, on the floor of my car, etc. Also, the deep central space has become problematic now that both kids snack continuously (I should nip this in the bud!) - DS has severe allergies so there about a billion little containers floating around in the center. The T&L backpack is truly probably my largest capacity bag, other than my Posh Baby (which i have deemed the "travel bag" cuz of it's size)...so I'm keeping it for those reasons. If you have tons of little containers, this is probably not the best bag...

Also, I didn't pay $150. There was a very generous BBB member here who posted a sale, directly through Timi & Leslie...I paid $75 + $12 shipping from the manufacturer. I don't know how often they do this, but it may not be something they will do right away with the introduction of the new fabrics :(...you may try the yahoo babybags board and see if there are any used ones there!

HTH!

Smiles81
04-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm looking for a larger diaper bag, so what do you think of it? Thanks.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

audball
04-22-2005, 01:22 AM
I like it! The fabric is a little flimsier than I imagined - I think I have been spoiled by my Loom Marsupial and my Timbuk2 messenger. It's quite large and has a great deal of interior space. Exterior of the bag has two side bottle pockets, one large "pocket" under the messenger flap (with side zips), which has two velcro pockets within that for small items. The back has a large exterior pocket.

Inside: 4 pockets (two front interior, two rear interior), plus two bottle pockets (non-insulated). It also has a small key clip and a really luxurious changing pad. I got the Amy Butler Twirl/Curry Kimono fabric, which is really cute and very summery...

I like the fact that it can be a messenger and a backpack. But I have to say that I'm a little disappointed in the hardware - I guess I have been with all the convertibles I have owned (Bumble Bags, Fleurville A7). I guess I was hoping that for as much as you pay for these bags, they would have brushed nickel hardware...but that may be expecting too much. It's pretty comfortable for me backpack style, but I'm very short and my shoulders aren't that wide. Also, I haven't had an issue with the black interior, but the bag is deep, so those people who don't like the "black hole" factor will probably shy away from this bag.

I was taking a Timbuk2 Medium Messenger (which I still have and will use for beach, etc.), but the lack of internal pockets was driving me batty - so this will be a nice substitute for long car/plane rides. I wasn't really drawn to the Bumble Bag Jessica fabrics, so this was my compromise for a cute, large capacity bag with the ability to convert...

There have been numerous posts/ reviews on this bag, so you can probably find one if you do a search for Posh Baby in the search engine.