PDA

View Full Version : for those who have (or had) both a Skip Hop and a Kecci

knaidel
03-17-2005, 07:23 PM
I am considering trading in my SH for a Kecci. The skip hop is nice, but nothing special. My husband just today noticed the thing about the straps, and he thought it was "so cool," but I can use carabiners, instead. Also, the shoulder strap on the SH is not comfortable at all! And, its a pain to keep switching.
I haven't seen a Kecci in real life. I don't know of any brick and mortar stores around here that sell them.
So, to those who have owned both, tell me how the Kecci compares to the SH in size, organization, durability, etc.
It also happens to be that I have a gift certificate to Nordstroms, and I did see a nice PPB bag there, but I don't know if its worth it to blow my whole gift card on it.

EagerlyAwaitingBaby
03-17-2005, 09:58 PM
I have both - I think the Kecci is dressier and perhaps more prone to snagging. I like the organization on the Kecci but I prefer the organization on the SH, particularly for everyday use. The SH has more pockets so it is easier for me to get to things like my wallet, keys, chap stick etc. w/o having to dig around. I tote around a recieving blanket as a nursing shield at all times, so that tends to be bulky and hide other items. In my SH, I can use one of the smaller zippered pockets to store it. In the other zipepred pocket I keep 2 bibs and 2 burp cloths (DD is a spitter upper). In the main compartment, I keep 4 diapers (size 1), a wipes case plus scented baggies for disposal, 2 toys (a whoozit and a rattle), a small tupperware with a paci, and a spare onesie. I can also fit a little outfit in there. In the front pockets I keep a paci clip and my keys in one pocket and my wallet and chap stick in the other. The organization in the kecci isn't as good as that! So while it is easier to find things in the kecci than in my Baby Bag, I prefer the SH for every day use.

Slingin_Momma
03-18-2005, 12:31 AM
I have owned both and for my PERSONAL style, I much prefer the Skip*hop over the Kecci. I felt the Kecci was a little too dressy for my every day style which is what I needed a new bag for. I have a nice dressy bag that I can use as a diaper bag if I need to, but I needed something that fit "me" and the SH did it. I prefer the organization of teh SH over that of the Kecci b/c of more pockets. I keep the changing pad and a magazine in the back flat pocket. In one of the zippered pockets I keep hand sanitizer for both of us (ds likes to have his own), tissues, small first aid kit, and snot sucker. In the other I usually keep his harness and a pouch all folded up. In the bigger part I keep my little change purse, an extra tshirt, 4 size 4 diapers, and a wipes case. In the outside pocket I keep some kind of snack from him and his cup in the cup holder, and my cell in the cell holder.

HTH!

dules
03-18-2005, 10:38 AM
If you are at all rough on bags I wouldn't recommend the Kecci. I find it's very easy to snag the fabric...I got a small snag near the bottom of mine by simply putting it down on the deck while I opened my back door.

I *hated* my Skip Hop, though! So here's what I thought was better about the Kecci than the Skip Hop:

- The Kecci has a zip and magnetic top closure, things don't dump out the top (yay!)
- The Kecci is really, really pretty and seems like an amazing value for the money
- The Kecci is dressier, I am definitely a jeans and sweater/tee kind of person though and I still feel comfortable...no, a little special, lol, when I carry it.
- The Kecci converts from messenger to backpack, if you like that. I hung it off my Z Street using the backpack straps, no problems.
- The Kecci has a light colored interior (mine is bright pink) so no black hole syndrome when looking for things.

Really, my only complaints are durability (maybe I was just unlucky?) and that the straps are not super comfortable (thin and not padded) when the bag is loaded. (Skip Hop straps are not comfortable either, IMO) But I was impressed at the organization and how much it holds.

Hope this is helpful!

Best,
Mary

MMEand1
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
I have both and like them for different reasons.
I like the SH because:
- I keep it attached to the back of my stroller and only use it when absolutly necessary (walks, playground, etc)
- It is not bulky and does not hit my shins when I walk
- big enough to hold needed items for a newborn and a 2 yo, but not too big that it makes your stroller flip over (I have mine on a Valco)
- Slim design

I like my Kecci's (I have 2) because:
- very pretty, even when I am looking frumpy!
- big enough to hold everything I need for my 2 DC (I cloth diaper them, too) including an extra change of cloths for my 9 week old, flannel blanket, diaper wipes, 2-3 cloth diapers, 1-2 covers, wet bag, cup and snacks for my 2 yo, book and crayons for my 2 yo, burp cloth, bib, and a bottle of water.
- can also be used as an overnight bag later
- inside can be wiped out with a wet washcloth

Would it be possible for you to get a Kecci and try it out before you get rid of your SH? If so, that's what I would do to see which one is right for you and suits your needs better.
Good luck!
Mariah P.