PDA

View Full Version : Swing?

mariza
03-24-2005, 08:21 AM
I know the popular topic here is diaper bags, but I didn't know where else to post. DD will be 3 months old in 2 weeks, I never did register for a swing because I thought the bouncer would be enough. Our neighbors got her a travel size one and she falls asleep in it every time. I'm not too crazy about it for everyday use though, the motor is loud and it seems like the speed is all over the place. We have a dog and a cat and I don't like her being so low to the ground give all the scary swing stories and dogs circling the internet lately.
I want to get her the Fisher Price Baby Papasa swing, I like the option for it to swing sideways as well as back and forth and it just looks sooo comfy! My problem is this, is it worth spending the $130 on it since she is already 3 months and 11 lbs. I know the swing will hold up to 25lbs, but this being my first baby, I have no concept of how long that translates to in actual time.

bluej
03-24-2005, 08:59 AM
My DD loved her swing! This was 11 years ago and the swings were not even close to as cool as they are now. She used it up until she was about 19 months old. Initially it was for comfort (especially during those months of colic) and then a safe place to put her while I cooked and then for fun. My first DS hated the swing so we definitely did not get our money's worth out of that one. 2nd DS liked the swing and we kept it around for about 9 months. At that point he liked to grab at the bars to stop moving, but then he'd scream b/c he wasn't moving. So bye-bye it went. But I would definitely say it was worth every penny.

So as you can see, how long you'll use it can really vary. If you think the swing is something she'll like for the next year, I'd say that it's probably worth it. If you think she'll only like it for another month or two, probably not worth it. If you plan on having more children and will be re-using your baby items, then it will be worth it.

As far as the weight limit, babies vary greatly in weight, but I would say that most likely your DD won't outgrow the weight limit before she outgrows the usefullness of the swing.

mom2aidan
03-24-2005, 09:15 AM
We have a FS ocean wonders aquarium cradle swing. My DS loved his swing from when he was a month old(since it reclines) to about 4 months and after that he just didn't like being there. So I'm not sure at her age if you'll still get a full use out of it.

Laela
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
My DS had the ocean aquarium swing and it was wonderful for the first 5 months, but after that he started reaching up for the fish and then trying to get out of the swing, so it was no longer safe for him, even when I was sitting there with him. Also, after 4 months, it no longer put him to sleep, which is why I loved it in the first place! I would suggest skipping the swing at this age.

cartersmom
03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
My son also loved the ocean wonders swing and used it until about 5 months. After about 4-6 months and they start to crawl and move around the swing loses a lot of its appeal.