PDA

View Full Version : My Skip Hop Dash and LLBean bag compete for a Disney vacation!!! PICS

MeredithsMom
03-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Hi all!

Since I wanted to do a trial run of diaper bag packing for our trip to Disney next week, I thought I'd make a comparison between my hot-off-the-presses Skip Hop Dash and my almost-brand-new LL Bean diaper bag. After much deliberation, I've decided to take the LL Bean bag for the following reasons: (1) it is slightly bigger, hence leaving a smidgen of wiggle room with the packing (2) it is black and I won't mind if it gets shoved here and there and smudged (3) DH will carry a pink bag, but why make him if I don't have to? :-)

With that said, I am MIGHTY impressed that the Dash managed to hold everything the LL Bean did, although it did have to strain and take a deep breath here and there to do so. I never pack like this for everyday life, so I should be fine with the Dash and can save the LL Bean for longer trips.

By the way, DD is 7 1/2 months, gets formula after her daytime nursing sessions, and is up to two meals of solids per day (with sippy of water offered after). We've started cloth diapering at home, but will use disposables for Disney.

Here's what I managed to squeeze into each bag:

1 Hotsling (for waiting in lines)

1 burp cloth

1 cloth bib (might take disposables, though I generally loathe disposable stuff I will be indulging at Disney!)

1 Bumkins bib for solid meals (we'll just wash this each meal)

6 size 3 Pampers Cruisers

1 Fleurville wipes case w/ baby wipes

1 extra outfit

Spare Wet One individual pack

Tiny size Aquaphor

Small-Medium Purell bottle

Hyland's teething tablets

Avent sippy cup

4 Avent 4 oz bottles (will have powdered formula in them)

1 16oz+ bottle water for bottles

2 "meal kits": ziploc with the following inside: Take n Toss bowl containing 2.5 oz. Tender
Harvest fruit or veggie, 2 wet ones (one for high chair before meal, one for Meredith after),
Take n Toss spoon.

3 teethers/toys

Swiss Army "card" MIL gave me (has scissors and other stuff, size of credit card)

Cell Phone

Wallet

Keys (won't need these last two items at the park)

And now for the pics . . . First up is the LL Bean packed, a few close ups of the insides. Next we have all the stuff that was packed into it (forgive the mugging ham of a kitty cat). Finally, the Dash containing all the same stuff.

Hope this is helpful to someone taking a trip to Disney or considering a new Expo!!!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23742.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23745.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23746.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23747.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/23748.jpg

youngnan
03-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Wow, I'm impressed! That's quite a lot, and the LL Bean bag barely looks packed! That's such a smart idea to put your sling in the side pocket--I'd never thought of that and would probably use my sling more if I could just pull it out quickly.

Anyway, the S*H looks great also, and your dh deserves a lot of credit for being willing to carry a bubble-gum-pink bag! It's the Dash, though, not the Expo, right? Did you find you could access things easily, despite the flap? I'm leaning twd the Expo because of the no-flap top, I believe with a zipper.

MeredithsMom
03-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Oops. It is the Dash. I have no excuse other than chronic sleep deprivation. :-)

Yeah, I thought the sling should be easy access. DD loves the stroller, but at Disney you park the stroller at the entrance to rides. I figure the sling will be great for waiting in line and even riding.

I am able to access things easily despite the flaps on the Dash. I haven't truly used the bag yet, though, so we'll see.

jawilli4
03-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Hi Joyce,

Thanks for your post! I actually waited until the new Skip Hops came out to make up my mind between the LL Bean bag and the Dash. I have two questions that hopefully you can answer for me. First, do you think either of them is more suitable for my 5'2" frame? Second, is either of them more comfortable when carried on your shoulder? (Obviously, you can only give me your first impression about the Dash, so any preliminary comments would be great.)

TIA and have a wonderful time at Disney.

Jan

Mom to Ian (born a whopping 6 days after your DD)

MeredithsMom
03-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Hi Jan--

Cool! Ian and Meredith are almost the same age. :-)

I am 5'7", so take my remarks with a grain of salt. I think the Dash would be better. While the LL Bean has a rubber/padded thing on the strap to make it more comfortable, it is considerably bulkier than the Dash when you're wearing it (either messenger or over the shoulder). Plus, you can buy a strap attachment to make the Skip Hop more comfortable. So, I'd guess the Dash. Maybe more reviews will come in to help you decide.

jasabo
03-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Ohhhhh Joyce, I am SOOOO loving the Dash now! Thank you so much for this fabulous review! I have the Bean bag and have been totally thrilled with it and haven't used another bag since I started using it b/c nothing works as well. But after reading your post and seeing the pics, I think I'm going to have to give the Dash a try. The pink is SO much prettier then the blue Bean bag I have. And the organization looks to be as good as the Bean bag too, which is great.

Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to do this. There's definitely a Dash in my future :) Hope you have a great time at Disney!

Lisa - mom to 22 month old twin boys

reseam
03-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I'm really interested in the Dash, just wondering if it is forward heavy like the Alpha 7 or does it stand well on it's own.

Reseam

MeredithsMom
03-30-2005, 08:19 AM
LISA--

I'm so glad you liked the review! I was going to pack everything and try it out regardless, so I figured why not take pics? :-)

I was thinking that I didn't really need both bags, but you are right about the Dash being much more attractive! I got the pink despite the fact that I have a red Bugaboo. LOL. I have a red kecci and a black LL Bean, though, so why would I get red or black (the only colors that would match) again? Sometimes you just need a little pink. And I do have a pink Volo laying in wait for its moment in the sun. :-)

Enjoy your new Dash! By the way, I ordered mine from Jen at Expressive Toys last Friday afternoon and it was here Monday. She's in NJ and I'm in Philly, but WOW nonetheless.

RESEAM--
So far the Dash has stood up on its own. I haven't had an Alpha 7 (seen them, but not packed). The old style Skip Hop I had never stood up though, so the Dash is an improvement in that respect for certain. It stands up packed and unpacked.

ilovetivo
03-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks Joyce so much! I was comparing the two, but hadn't seen either IRL. Sounds like i made the right choice for me w/ the Dash.

I orderd mine on the 24th from Happy Day Baby and haven''t gotten it yet. :( I wonder if Expressive Toys is the one place that has them in stock.

I'm getting pink too, although i have a black sable Peg Aria (black, grey, red). Just love the pink :) I want a MBUS too, so maybe i'll have to get the plum one of those.

dowlinal
03-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Joyce,

I'm in the middle of planning an Oct trip to Disney and just realized that I've been reading your posts over on the DIS board. Thanks for the reviews of the bags. I'm thinking of buying both the LLBean bag and a skip hop for disney. (ok so maybe I'm just trying to justify another diaper bag purchase) I have a reg skip hop but I am considering buying either a dash or an expo for the trip. My plan is to leave the skip hop attached to the stroller.

Could you please let me know how the crib rental works out for you? I think I want to use ABBF too because Madeline has never slept in her pack and play. Are you having food delivered to your hotel?

Have a wonderful trip!
A

MeredithsMom
03-30-2005, 11:07 AM
Too funny about the Disboards! I don't usually have anything to cross-post, but I figured why not. They probably think I'm nuts over there though b/c they're not used to the diaper bag obsessiveness on these boards (just Disney obsessiveness!). :-)

Sounds like you have a good plan. I'm thinking with the SH Duo attached to the stroller and the LL Bean you might not need another bag (but far be it from me to discourage rampant bag purchases--those new bags are so darn cute!).

I will let you know about the crib rental. I've heard nothing but good things about ABBF.

We are having some things delivered from www.wegoshop.com . We're having them get diapers, formula, baby food, prune juice, wipes, and bottled water. This will save us a LOT of luggage space and none of it will come back with us. :-)

I'm getting so excited now!! Good luck with your planning. I'll give you the scoop when I get back. This is our first time traveling with DD and I'm SOOO nervous.

jawilli4
03-30-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi Joyce,

Thanks to your reply, I just ordered a Dash from Expressive Toys! I got a black one to match my yellow Zooper but hope also to get something a little "springy" maybe from Clutterbags. According to the website my Dash will probably ship today. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Thanks again!

Jan
Mom to Ian

JAMEPM
03-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Do you know where I can order one of the shoulder strap attachments to make the Dash a little more comfortable?

THANKS!!

NatalieM
03-30-2005, 02:47 PM
Hi Joyce,

I love your new Dash! I have a ? for you, if you don't mind. Why did you decide on the Dash as opposed to the Expo? I was planning on getting a SH for my P3 and then I saw your post. I didn't realize they now have 2 styles. Just wondering what made you go with one style over the other, to make my decision making a bit easier! Thanks so much and have a great time at Disney!! Natalie

ktdid74
03-30-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm using my Timbuk2 strap pad for my Dash. Check Timbuk2.com or gearguys.com

dowlinal
03-30-2005, 03:31 PM
I know that the SH duo is enough but I'm looking for an excuse to buy another SH. I would just use one of the SH bags plus the LL Bean.I have already used this trip to justify a new stroller (mac quest) so I'm not sure DH will go for it.

I've also only heard great things about ABBF and wegoshop. I love both ideas. I was so worried about using the pack-n-play from WDW because Madeline NEVER sleeps in it at home.

It sounds like you have everything covered! Have a wonderful time and enjoy your daughter's first visit to Disney!

August
03-30-2005, 05:09 PM
I am really interested by the trial you made, for I'm not entirely decided yet on which bag I prefer.
You are saying that there is a bit more space in the LL bean bag, but, and this is just an impression with the pic you posted, but it is as well organised inside? It looks more neatly stacked in the SH bag. Is it as easy in the LL bean.
As far as price/quality, which one do you think is best?
Thank you so much for your informations!

MeredithsMom
03-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi!

I actually didn't deliberate too much about which one to get. Part of me just liked that the Dash looked different from the Duo, which I'd had before and loved. The Expo seems more along those lines and, while I like how it and the Duo look, I wanted something a bit different. I also liked how the front flap can cover the front pockets a bit (when it's not as stuffed as I have it in the pictures). It gives a little extra security (you know, so valuable burp cloths don't escape--LOL).

HTH

MeredithsMom
03-30-2005, 05:47 PM
I hear you on the "anything for another bag" front. :-) As for ABBF, we're trying to simulate home conditions as much as possible, although who knows what the heck will happen. I tried to get Meredith to nap in her Pack n Play for the first time while at my in-laws house for Easter and there was NO way that was happening. The fewer surprises at Disney, the better.

Have fun picking your new bag!!!

MeredithsMom
03-30-2005, 05:50 PM
The inside of the Skip Hop definitely looks more organized, I agree, but I don't think that's necessarily b/c of superior interior organization. Rather, it's just stuffed and has to make the most of every inch. So, I have two bottles stacked on top of two bottles, etc. Although, the Dash does have a bit more rectangle structure to the inside, so maybe that accounts for it. As for reaching in and being able to find things, the LL Bean is just as easy since there's wiggle room. It is by no means unorganized on the inside, though. I have a Kecci too and that's primarily just one big empty space; the LL Bean is much better than that.

Hope this helps somewhat. It's a little hard to explain!

August
03-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Thank you so much your answer. Yeah, I do understand what you mean. But I just want to make sure of something. There is compartments inside the LL bean bag like in the Skip Hop right?
Which bag do you think you will use more?
thank you again for your precisions!

MeredithsMom
03-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Yes, there are compartments in the LL Bean bag. One thing that I like about the inside (over the Skip Hop) is that there's a separate zippered compartment inside. That keeps the diapers and wipes (or whatever) really separate if you want. The Skip Hop has sleeves for them to slip into which work just as well, but if you zip up the LL Bean compartment it makes the interior seem a little more streamlined. I'd say both bags are fairly equal in the organization department. The Skip Hop is definitely less bulky overall though, so I think I'll use it more. Cute pink color doesn't hurt either!

Hope this was helpful!

nd93
03-30-2005, 11:58 PM
what is abbf? thx!

MeredithsMom
03-31-2005, 07:36 AM
ABBF is A Baby's Best Friend, a rental service for baby equipment in Orlando. They service the Disney resorts and you can rent everything from a full-size crib with bedding to a bouncy seat from them. We are getting a crib ($70 for the week) b/c Disney guarantees only a Pack n Play and I don't think my DD will sleep in that.