PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a backpack diaper bag with big side pockets?

derstina
03-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Hi - I've just found this group & thought someone here might know where I can find a diaper bag that'll work for us.

I'm pregnant with #2 & the Baby Trend backpack someone gave us 5 years ago is starting to tear. We definitely still want a backpack, but I'm having trouble finding any that have big enough pockets on the side for our Nalgene water bottles. I found lots of backpacks at Babies R Us that are meant for skinny baby bottles. I have also ordered & returned 3 different bags from Lands End because of the same issue!

I also need the bag to have two big compartments if possible & good organization...lots of places to stash small things, cell phone pockets are nice...and I love the idea of light colored lining so you can find things easily.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Anita

ckleist
03-31-2005, 10:59 PM
Check out this one, I was thinking about getting it, but I'm waiting to see what the timbuk2 detour I ordered is like. Also, I posted a question on this bag earlier, and someone said that they returned because it is huge and it is also very structured. But it does have 2 side pockets that can hold 2 avent bottles each.

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27211/392/117.html

Here's a link to the timbuk2 bag in case you are interested...not a diaper bag, but thought it might work. If it doesn't, my dh could used it for work. It does have bottle holders on each side.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.80458/dept_id./qx/product.htm

tribegirl3
04-01-2005, 05:04 PM
Hi Anita!
Congrats on the pregnancy! I just ordered the diaper bag backpack from inspiredbygrace.com, it looks totally awesome! I can't wait to see it IRL! Do you think you would like the organization of it? The inside has a lot of little compartments and although it doesn't have side pockets, you can put stuff in the front and back pockets. I am not sure it would fit Nalgene water bottles though. Let me know what you think about it! Her stuff is great.

Hope this helps!

Angie

derstina
04-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I'd love to hear how you like the Timbuk2. The other one looks great as a diaper bag, but I'm still not sure the side pockets would hold our 16 oz Nalgene bottles. Maybe I just need to start looking at regular backpacks instead of ones intended to be diaper bags.

Thanks!
Anita

ajrivers
04-03-2005, 11:42 AM
What about the Baby Sherpa or Short Haul? It's more backpacky than fashionable, but it seems to have good pockets on the outside.
http://www.babysherpa.com/

Good luck!

nd93
04-03-2005, 01:40 PM
Try the Kelty diaper backpack. We bought ours before a trip to Disney a couple of years ago. The side pockets EACH held a sippy cup and a water bottle, so I was easily able to carry four waters - two for the adults and two for the kids!

There is a parent pocket in front for cell, wallet, sunglasses, etc. The main comparment has a changing pad. It can be worn as a backpack, or store the backpack straps and attach a long adjustable strap to wear on your shoulder or messenger, or it has carrying handles.

It's very durable and is our go to bag for travel. It would most certainly hold your water bottles. Those side pockets stretched a lot, yet have elastic at the top so can also hold just a small bottle in place.

suzhatch1
04-03-2005, 03:04 PM
Ckleist - That T2 Urban Explorer looks really intriguing! I love the multiple carrying options (shoulder, backpack & hand strap). I'd been eyeing the LLBean Microfiber tote which has these 3 options as well, but the dimensions are much smaller & I was thinking it might be too tight. But the dimensions of the T2 look perfect & it looks like it has the plastic carabiner style clips on both sides of the shoulder straps where it could hook nicely to the handlebars of my P3.

Do you actually have this bag now? I'd love to hear a review of the inside organization & see an IRL pics. Thanks!!

Suz

suzhatch1
04-03-2005, 03:06 PM
>"That T2 Urban Explorer looks really intriguing!"

Oops, I meant to say T2 Urban Detour...

ktdid74
04-03-2005, 04:06 PM
I have the Kelty Kids backpack from 2 years ago and it's awesome. Plus, I just tried it out with my Nalgene bottle and it fits in both side pockets. It doesn't have a light colored lining but is otherwise a perfect bag! Very comfy to carry, too.

ckleist
04-03-2005, 05:09 PM
I haven't received it yet...it should be coming this week though. It looks like the model I ordered thru Sierra has been discontinued and if you go to the timbuk2 website, the detour looks like it has undergone some changes, mainly the dimension. There is a pic of the inside, and the only thing I'm not sure if I'm going to like is that there is the padded sleeve for a laptop. Once I get the bag, I'll post a few pics and better description.