PDA

View Full Version : Best diaper bag for soon-to-be new mom.

NoemiArthur
04-06-2005, 02:16 PM
My baby (boy) is due in late May and I've never before owned a diaper bag. What is the best bag to start out with, until I can better determine my needs and preferences? I like something that doesn't look like a diaper bag, is fun or funky, holds alot, has lots of pockets, and hangs well from the shoulder. I don't like the look of backpacks although a lot of people tell me they are very functional. I like outside pockets for keys and enough room to also stick in a regular purse.

I've looked on the Internet, specifically on e-bay and I've seen the Amy Butler bags (cute but they don't look practical with the bows and they don't look very large). I don't like messenger-style bags (the kind that have a flap), I think a zipper or a snap would make more sense. I like the look of totes in general.

What would you start out with?

Thanks.

newmomto1
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM
You might want to use the freebie bag given to you at the hospital for awhile until you see what your needs are once the baby is here.

That said..you might want to check out the brand new Fleurville Sling Totes. It is a tote-style (with a zipper closure) that also has the option of being worn messenger-style or it can attach to your stroller.

http://www.fleurville.com/slingtote.asp

They are brand new so you probably won't be able to find any reveiws on it yet.
I have ordered one & would be happy to review it if no one else has by the time I get it.

As far as fitting a regular purse into your diaper bag...that might be tough unless you get a huge bag.
I started out with that same idea..but just couldn't make it work.
What I do now is use a wristlet or cosmetic bag with "my" stuff & pack that in my diaper bag along with my cell phone & wallet. When I need to use my purse I just transfer those 3 items.

I am sure you'll get lots of other good suggestions here.

HTH, Good luck with your search!! :-)

nov02mom
04-06-2005, 08:10 PM
I would start off with one of the less expensive (but still nice) Lands End ones. New moms tend to overpack and it does take a bit before you figure out what you have to have! These aren't very funky, but practical. I second the wristlet suggestion......just give up on carrying a purse for a few years.

In a few months you'll have an idea of what kind of bag you like or need and then the fun really starts!!!!

hapahaolegirl
04-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I started out with a Land's End diaper backpack and at two months I moved to a Land's End Little Tripper. Though neither are very stylish they are both well made and practical. My LT is the perfect size right now for my 7 month old. I love it even though sometimes I wish I had something more stylish!

HTH

Kristen

cartersmom
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
You should check out the ones from periwinkle baby - www.periwinklebaby.com. They are totes that can be worn messenger style (although I find its more comfortable on the shoulder). Mine has 6 inside pockets and a big central pocket. They use the Amy Butler fabrics which I love.

KCWing
04-07-2005, 11:26 AM
I love my Land's End diaper backpack. We have the Little Tripper and I've only used it once.