PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a good faux Escape Pod?

sbjf
04-07-2005, 10:58 AM
I decided to get the LL Bean large zip top boat & tote with long straps as my summer diaper bag; I just love the classic look of this bag. BUT, I know that I'll need 2 faux Escape Pods to put in there to help keep me organized. Ideally these inserts will need to fit a few diapers and wipes each, maybe a tube of vaseline, anything else you can think of??

I guess to diaper-bag it I'll throw in one of my changing pads (probably the Baby Sherpa one) and a bottle/sippy cup cooler (the one from my free Similac bag)...any other ideas to diaper-bag it?

I'm planning on going to Target or BRU today (or wherever else looks good) to search for these faux Escape Pods.

Thanks!

PS...originally I was going to get a messenger style bag but I just really want this LL Bean tote, do you think I'm making a mistake in skipping the messenger feature? Do you think I'll do ok with a long strap tote with 2 babies?

LD92599
04-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Bonnie:

I got my escape pod wanna be in the cosmetic section of Target! It's clear plastic and i think it was $10. Also check their luggage section - they had some cuter bags over there. Glad I only spent $10 - because it now resides in the hall closet in a box!!! It was nice while i used it though plus being see-through helped too!

Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

californiagirl
04-07-2005, 02:44 PM
For day-to-day use, I use a freebie tote bag from my publisher which has no features whatsoever, not so much as a pocket. (It has a rather handsome lizard on it, advertising a C++ book, though.)

For airplane use, we're just switching from messenger-style to zipped tote. The messenger style just doesn't work well for us. I think it's our (well, my) overstuffing tendencies. A messenger is good for carrying long distances, but for pick-up-put-down switch-from-one-person-to-another it just doesn't do it, and if you don't fasten it up things fall out, once you fill it all the way. I'll let you know how the tote works when we get back...

knaidel
04-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I was at BRU the other day looking for a chaninging pad to keep in my ll bean touring bag. In this section (NOT where they sell wipes and changing pads that you keep on top of the dresser) the had an "especially for baby" changing kit for $10. It had a pad, and lots of little pockets for dipes, ointment, wipes, etc.
Also, someone posted a link to something similar available at babycenter.com made by the first years

LD92599
04-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Another thought ~~ have you seen the "pockets" that LL Bean has for the boat bags? I'm not sure of the dimensions (here they are: 5½"H x 10"W x 3½"D) but you could get 2 - have one personalize for each kiddo's stuff!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/24087.jpg
Laura
mom to William

LKibala at optonline dot net

http://homepage.mac.com/ld14m

MamaKath
04-07-2005, 09:51 PM
If you are going for an "Escape Pod Wanna-be" but need to use more than one, I would get clear ones so you can see the contents and which baby they are for. I got a few different ones at Walmart (all under $10), I posted pics of my favorite a while back. For changing pads with this set up, I purchased a flannel backed plastic table cloth and cut it into the size mats I needed, rolled them up and stuck them in. I throw them out when I need to (they eventually get ratty, or if I actually use a changing table in a rest room I usually chuck them).

If you are looking for a changing pad, you could get ones with pockets for dipes and wipes which would act like an escape pod. You could get one style but 2 different colors so they would be "color coded".
I found these at BabyCenter's store, but have seen them in Target-
http://store.babycenter.com/product/safety_babycare/diapering/wipes/3153
and
http://store.babycenter.com/product/safety_babycare/diapering/wipes/3937
BRU has this one- http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000067QZ1/qid=1112928159/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/104-7323981-2902313?v=glance&s=baby

HTH~

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Totally neat idea!! Thank you!! :-)

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:42 AM
Oh my gosh that is such a cute idea!! Ok, now my sensible LL Bean tote is gonna cost a lot suddenly, hehe. Oh well, I know it'll last forever.

Thanks for the pocket tip. I had seen them a while back but completely forgot about them. I can always keep snacks in there or maybe even toys or an outfit if it's big enough. Who knows.

THANKS!

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks! I'm going to check them out. :-)

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Good points. Plus, I'll be slinging the new baby for a while and a tote will be better for that, too, I think.

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:45 AM
I never got there yesterday but I'll go today and see what's available. Thanks for the input!! :-)

MommytoLayla
04-08-2005, 09:34 AM
I have been looking for the same thing. I would like something that I can put diapers and cream, lotion, wipes and all the other toiletries because when I send my dd over night to inlaws her backpack is a big open space. I have the LE backpack but there are only interior pockets in one section and again on the small front pocket, which is ussually where I put food and snacks.
Does anyone have the brands of these bags you can find other places. I don't need the chaning pad because it comes with my backpack just something for all the toiletry needs.

Hope to get some good ideas and maybe some pictures of what people are using!!!!

valdivan
04-08-2005, 11:56 PM
ebags has some travel accessory bags, a set of three clear plastic ones in three different sizes. I forget the exact price but everything is 15% off right now so check it out!

ann

callalillyanne
04-10-2005, 08:17 AM
I know someone already suggested it, but I was at Target the other day and saw some cute bags that were very escape pod-esque. They ranged from 8.99 to 15.99! They are at least worth checking out. I would have gotten one, but I am not sure how I am going to use it yet!

HTH