PDA

View Full Version : T2 vs. Diaper Dude (or Diva)? - UPDATE

gadu
04-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi!

I have a 2-year-old and am due with #2 in a couple of months. I've been gearing up to order a Timbuk2 urban commute but I'm drawn to the Diaper Dudes (and new Diaper Divas) as well. I tried on a diaper dude a long time ago but I can't remember how roomy it was.

Is anyone able to compare the two for me? Do you think a diaper dude could handle stuff for 2 kids (one, sometimes 2 in cloth)?

Thank you!

MamaKath
04-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I am not really any help. I say go for the Diaper Dude (or Diva), but I can't tell you anything about it. No one has really answered when I asked for more info on it, lol, and I am not brave enough to order it with out much info.

I will say that I think the LL Bean Diaper Bag (or Large Touring Tote) would be perfect for a mom of 2. Not nearly as cute, but very organized and just all around practical!

ckleist
04-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I thought I read a post that someone stopped using the diaper dude because it was just too small. You might not like the urban commute because it has a padded computer sleeve that is sewn in and takes up some space. If you look up Detour backpack, I just posted a quick review within the last couple days, and somebody responded that had the compute, and they didn't like it for a diaper bag. The detour would have been a great size diaperbag for a 2yo and 6 month old w/o the sleeve in it.

Also, you might want to check out t2 cargo totes...I just ordered 3 (s,m,and l) thru ebags to see which size I need...I need one for quick trips and one for all day. The totes also have the shoulder strap so you can wear them messenger style and they are a little more organized than the classic messengers.

gadu
04-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks for your insights. I hadn't really thought about the built in padded sleeve on the T2, I was attracted to the commute for the bottle pockets. But reading more, it does sound bulky. I have a store nearby that carries diaper dudes, I'll go and check one out again. And I had been sort of avoiding the LLBean bag for its practicality, but the more I read the more it sounds like just what I need.

I'm open to suggestions. My only real criteria are 1) big enough for 2 kids and 2) messenger style.

thanks again-

gadu
04-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Wow, thanks for all the links, Kath. I will look into some of those. I also clicked on your signature -- nice stroller collection! I have an e3 as well. I currently use a skip*hop duo on it, which works beautifully. But when I have my daughter's friend in tow in the doubles attachment, the diaper bag becomes a problem. Last week I attached the duo behind the back seat but I had to walk a little funny so I wouldn't hit it. Do you have the pannier (sp?) bags? Opinion on that accessory, please? I figure when the baby comes I can still use the parcel tray underneath when it's in newborn/toddler mode. But for two toddlers, it becomes an issue.

Thank you again, and I'll report back on the diaper dude. I'll try to check one out next week.

MamaKath
04-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Let me know what your thoughts on the Diaper Dude are when you check it out. ;-)

I know I have checked out the Timbuk 2 bags, and many of them seem padded in spots that make them less usable for me than other bags. The new totes look neat for diaper bags though. I was thinking you could look for an Ameribag Tote Messenger bag too. It is cuter, but sporty than the LLBean bag, IMO. I almost sold mine for the Bean bag, but the LL Bean doesn't have the grab strap. I find I really, really like the padded grab strap! I have used a lot of sling-style and messenger bags, they are very practical with 2 kids. A lot depends on how much you carry though. Here are some links that might be helpful for you...

Here are some others that might work for you in a variety of styles. (I have the Ameribag Baby Bag, Messenger Bag, and Essentials Sling, if you have questions regarding those I can try to help. I just posted a review with pictures not long ago about the Essentials bag.)

Jen has a bunch of messengers and is AWESOME to deal with! http://www.expressivetoys.com/diaperbags.html

http://www.ebags.com/ameribag/healthy_back_baby_bag_reg_tote/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=18559

http://www.bagsforme.com/ebags/detail-13589.html

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=16682&SIND=1&dept=36&cmCL=geardept-diaperbagstotes&cmPG=

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=16376&SIND=1&dept=36&cmCL=geardept-diaperbagstotes&cmPG=

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=14774&SIND=1&dept=36&cmCL=geardept-diaperbagstotes&cmPG=

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=13178&SIND=1&dept=36&cmCL=geardept-diaperbagstotes&cmPG=

HTH~

priscilla73
04-09-2005, 09:28 PM
I wish they didn't charge almost double for the Diva then they do for the Dude style. Is there a difference? The Diva ones are cute!

callalillyanne
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
I thought that same thing! Does making the bag laminated really mean the price has to double?? I am currently liking that orangey red striped Diva...

priscilla73
04-09-2005, 09:59 PM
They have good prices at ebags.com

callalillyanne
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I think you are right! And I am going through a phase where I am attracted to camo, too! Too bad :(

I have seen Diaper Dudes IRL and really liked the size and design...they are bigger than they look online, but a good size, if that makes any sense!

priscilla73
04-09-2005, 10:14 PM
I'm a Lefty and I wear my bags opposite everyone else (on the left side). They look like they are designed to wear on the right side of the body. What do you think?

callalillyanne
04-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Hmmmm....I'm a righty but I would have to say off-hand (no pun intended, LOL) that I think it may be akward on a lefty....

Hmmmm....:::::furrowing brow:::::....I guess you would have to try it on to know for sure. Nordstrom carries them sometimes if you want to see some "in their natural habitat." :)

gadu
04-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I just ordered a plain black diaper dude from babystyle, so I'll report back. I know, it's crazy that they markup the divas so much. I love the prints but after getting bored of a pink alpha7 in no time, I think I should stick to basics.

callalillyanne
04-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm glad you ordered one :) I'll be interested to hear your review!

MamaKath
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
I LOVE them! I have the Explorer which can be tippy (as can the E3V1) on its own. I added the Paniers and soon realized it completely solved this problem. Plus I had a place to keep diapers, wipes, sun and rain cover, and more! When it was my main stroller, I kept them packed and attached at all times. I highly recommend them.

I also found that a smaller (shorter I guess would be a better term) messenger bag could be hung from the main handle down and around the back seat in order to hang it below the second rider. I found the Ameribag Messenger Tote and the Lands End Messenger Bag to both work well for this. The SkipHop supposedly can be attached to the side like a panier, but I have yet to do it successfully.

HTH~ :-)

gadu
04-18-2005, 09:26 PM
I like the diaper dude a lot, and if I didn't already have a duo and weren't about to have another baby, I'd keep it. It's great for what it is. It fits very comfortably across my body, has nice organization (I love all the external pockets), and is not bulky. But I just need something bigger. It does not hold any more than my duo does. If I were going to get another smallish bag I'd probably get something more like the essentials sling. Anyway, thank you all for your input. I took a few pictures for those who are interested. Let's see if I can post them!

marnay
04-21-2005, 06:28 AM
I have a gentley used blue Amibag tote for sale, email me if you are interested.

[email protected]

Naydene