PDA

View Full Version : Help! I'm going to the beach with two little ones and need a bag to carry it all!

tigalig
04-07-2005, 10:22 PM
I may not be able to make my purchase in time for our first trip to the beach this month, but I figured I better start looking now so that I won't be hauling several bags to the beach all summer long. I have a mesh bag that I'll use to put all the wet/sandy stuff, but I love my LL Bean boat and tote bag that I keep in the car with essentials and I thought I would look into getting a large one or extra-large one for the beach. Does anyone out there have experience with such a large-sized bag? Also, they now have custom boat and tote where you choose your own colors so I'm stumped! (zipper, no zipper? pocket, no pocket? colors, colors, colors)

Has anyone found the "perfect" bag for the beach?

MarisaSF
04-08-2005, 12:29 AM
I love my huge boat and tote. I got it for donating to our local public radio station, but it's a lot like the LL Bean ones. I highly rec the x-long handles!

I just saw the new LLB catalog and, if I needed to design one for the beach, I'd get the extra long handles and either the large or XL. I'd also get it with a zipper top. Pocket is handy for keys cuz those are always getting lost. Colors... hmmmm, I don't know... probably pink with green handles.

MommytoLayla
04-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Hey I was having the same thoughts although for me I was thinking about this summer and the beach. I live in Maine so I was at the LL Bean Factory store and found a pink boat and tote in the extra large in a huge bin. It also has the zipper all the way across the top. It think this is going to work perfectly. I figure I can always use that bag for the towels and all the toys and even probably through my ll bean diaper bag (when it finally comes in) right in the top of it. It is quite large but that is what I wanted. I have the large size as well (received as a gift years ago) and I just didn't think it would be large enough for all the things that go along with the beach and a toddler of course. I would definetly check with one of these, especially one of the new design your own ones. Good luck with your search!!
One more thing I love these bags because of the durability of them, they can definetly take a beating!!!

Shannon

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:50 AM
I played around designing mine on the Bean website a couple of days ago. I'm going with the natural color as the background and pocket (must get the pocket), and navy blue for the zipper top, straps and bottom. I just like the classic look of all the same colors like that and I went with navy because I already have a hunter green accented one in xl (I think it's xl anyway) and the one I'm going to order now will be a large because it's going to be my diaper bag, not nec. a 'beach' bag. As my boys get older I'll probably get an xl for the beach/pool to hold more toys and towels. I'm definitely getting the long straps, another must for me.

Also, for the colors, I thought a simple natural and navy tote would be able to go with whatever summery colors I might have on, bathing suit or just everyday clothes. But the other colors are definitely fun and cool, I'm just a bit on the conservative side sometimes. :-)

sbjf
04-08-2005, 07:52 AM
You sound experienced with these totes...maybe you can help me gage size. I'm thinking a large (zip top boat & tote w/exta long handles) will be the right size for my every day spring/summer diaper bag but I'm just a teeny bit worried it'll be too big. (I'll have an infant and a 1 year old soon.) On the other hand, I would rather be a bit too big than too small. If you were me, would you go with the medium or large??

Thanks!

audball
04-08-2005, 08:44 AM
I'm not super experienced with all the tote sizes, but I would recommend getting the largest you can comfortably carry without tipping over - LOL! It is *so* handy to put towels, toys, etc. in and not worry about leaving anything behind.

We don't have the long straps on our bag. But we don't venture further than a few feet from the parking lot to the beach front (I'm still really paranoid about being that close to the water - DD has a propensity to run and run and run...). But it was the largest canvas boat bag I could find - got it at Williams- Sonoma of all places on their clearance rack for $15...It's got two exterior pockets near the center of the bag. Folds down completely compactly and has a yellow trim on canvas back!

I would also suggest taking lots of ziploc baggies for wet stuff and emptying out the bag in the garage/driveway. Sand has an amazing ability to sneak into the crevices of these bags :)... And this sounds extremely uptight, but I make a list of what I have brought and stick it in the front pocket too -I just do a quick check before we go home.

MommytoLayla
04-08-2005, 09:00 AM
I would definetely go with the large verses the medium. I have the medium as well and it is small. I used to use it when I was in high school as my school bag and it was big enough to carry a couple binders and maybe a book but I don't think it would work for two kids...JMHO though. I could take a picture of the three (med, larg, and xlarge) next to each other if you like.. Let me know!

Of course it all depends too on how much you like to pack. I like to bring everything just in case so I ussually use a larger bag. Hope this helps!

Shannon

sbjf
04-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks! I pack just like you, I like to have everything I may need at my fingertips most of the time. I'll go with the large, thanks again!

tigalig
04-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Bonnie, I keep a medium boat and tote bag in my car and I can tell you that it would not hold enough for two! Although I don't have anything bigger than the medium yet, I would recommend the large size. I think the extra-large (as seen on the model) might look like your toting a real boat so I don't see that for everyday, but large must be the perfect everyday size if you have two little ones.

tigalig
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for all of your replies. I definitely want the exterior pocket and I wasn't sure about the handles, but it seems that long is the way to go.

Audball, I think I'm your twin (baggies, checklist, concern about tipping over). Seriously, I'd love the extra-large tote but it looks humongous! It's easily three times the size of the model holding it (and I assume hers was empty) I just don't know if one tip-over bag is better than two or three bags and a cooler with a toddler and infant. I'm fondly remembering the days when all I had to take to the beach was my towel, cash, and lotion!

These are the colors I'm thinking about: http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=40297&feat=&qs=5089079&email_id=16605

The turquoise/lime combination reminds me of the Gymboree Splash line from last summer, but it's one I think I can live with for the summers. Almost all of my diaper bags are black (with one chocolate brown UB) so I'm in the mood for something out of the ordinary!

sbjf
04-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks! I'll go with the large. And I love the colors you picked out, very nice combo!! :-)

MamaKath
04-08-2005, 04:38 PM
OOOH, very pretty!!!!! It will look so cute with the Gymbo stuff. :-)