PDA

View Full Version : Make Me Not Feel So Guilty (no. of bags you own...)...philosphical question(s)

audball
04-10-2005, 02:56 PM
So today I'm driving in the car just thinking about how many "things" I (and the family) own...and how life would be a lot simpler if I just pared down to what I needed. One of these areas is my diaper bag "collection". Granted I have two in dipes, my son has serious food allergy issues (so we carry lots of our own food)...but why would I need eight (yes, EIGHT!) bags?

I love bags (always have), but isn't there a limit to what you should own and shouldn't you just say No after awhile?

What's your limit? What are your "rules of ownership"?

We don't have any debts, my DH considers this my "hobby", so he isn't putting the brakes on the spending...it's just me. I started writing on my calendar which bags I find to be most useful to me (which ones I use). I'm seriously considering selling all but two!

nd93
04-10-2005, 03:17 PM
What are the 2 you find most useful?

What are the ones you are considering selling?

priscilla73
04-10-2005, 03:29 PM
4 "Good" bags would be my ideal number: one smallish, one medium, one large, and one just pretty one.

I just sold off most of my stash to fund my Quinnys. I've built it back up again, and it's been FUN! LOL I didn't realize it before, but I guess I have a tendency to buy more that one of the same bag when I find something I like. Must be the "Costco Syndrome: buy in bulk" LOL

callalillyanne
04-10-2005, 04:53 PM
I have been thinking about your philosophical ponderings Audrey and I think I have gleaned something. It seems to me that your mind is telling you something. Is it your conscience talking here? I don't know....

I feel like Mary kind of had a good point in that your mind/body will tell you when an equalibrium has been reached. So, simply put, if you think you have too many bags, maybe you do? Only you can know for sure what your limit is, you know? I currently have six(!) bags, and so far I feel ok. But I definitely have a conscience about spending also. It is always harder for me to make the higher dollar bag purchases. I don't want to feel gluttonous. But there are also times in my life when I want to feel rewarded for the hard work I put into life in general. I feel like if this is the way I choose to reward myself, that it is okay. So in the end I am okay with my bags and myself. If for some reason I ever stop feeling that way, than I know it is time to change something. I definitely thought about this before answering you. It is just my take on things...sometimes life is not that clear cut, but I guess you just have to roll with it, KWIM?

I know whatever you decide you will be making the right decision. If you ask me, you should do what makes you, and only you, feel good. :)

HTH! Not trying to sound like a know-it-all here, LOL! We are all here to help each other out...

Best,
Anne A.

PS- Don't feel guilty! Just don't :)

callalillyanne
04-10-2005, 04:56 PM
Just tagging onto this post...Philisophical stuff aside, I think Priscilla is probably right...one bag for each size/purpose group. Then you can always pare down/build up your stash according to how you feel!

:)

priscilla73
04-10-2005, 05:11 PM
I agree with you, Anne. I do feel extreme guilt over having 6 strollers right now. Something has got to go! They take up so much space that they are "in your face" LOL Whereas my bags, I can stash all over the place.

audball
04-10-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, I just started! - LOL! But the two that I seem to gravitate to the most are my Chester backpack and my A7...

The list of what I have:
1. Loom Marsupial in Avocado
2. Chester Backpack in Asian Print
3. Chester Backpack (NWT) in Black Racing Stripe
4. Timi and Leslie Backpack - Mia, new style
5. Fleurville Alpha 7 - red canvas
6. Posh Baby Bag - Twirl
7. One Cool Chick Large Messenger - Red Medallion
8. Fleurville Alpha 7 - orange cord, haven't bought this yet, but it's in my head that it's *bought* already - isn't that sick?

Not to mention that I have a couple of small totes and a Timbuk2 Medium Graphic Messenger (which I refuse to part with!).

Something is wrong with this picture!

callalillyanne
04-10-2005, 05:35 PM
LOL Priscilla, I haven't gotten too deep into a stroller habit yet ("yet" is the key word here :) ), but my house is so small, that I would be "confronted" my guilty conscience all the time!

Luckily, as of yet there is still enough space for my bags, and my conscience, to reside peacefully ;)

audball
04-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I think you are right - there comes a point in time when your mind says, "Stop the insanity!" I mean if no number is a good number, then it would never end,right? :)

I don't overindulge in other areas of my life - which is why I feel like this is off-kilter for me. When I had 4 bags, it was funny... Now when it looks like I may have 8, I feel it's strangely "out of control". I'm sure it's a different number for different people. And certainly different purchases warrant more looking out for than others (as, I don't collect CARS or anything of that ilk ;)!).

The other day I looked at my shoes (I must have a lot of freakin' free time, you guys are thinking...:))...I have some shoes that cost more than my most expensive diaper bag...and I wear them a lot less! Granted this was BC (Before Child)...but there they sit - idle in the closet. The waste sometimes just makes my mind boggle...

Ok, off my (soap)box for now...thanks for your opinions, ladies. :)

ETA: Ha! Fate must have stepped in - when I went to the cb2 site to ooh and ahh, all the orange A7s have been sold! So - no need to torture myself, just something to ponder :)..

cartersmom
04-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I've found that my bags are one of the areas that I do still splurge on for myself since having kids - books being the other.

I try to keep it to 2-3 bags most of the time.

Right now I have:

Petunia Pickle Bottom - Cucumber Roll
Skip Hop Dash - Blue
Periwinkle Baby - Curry Kimono

nov02mom
04-10-2005, 08:11 PM
It could be worse.....you could be like me and go to my closet(s) where I have 400+ pairs of shoes that I never wear!!!!

callalillyanne
04-10-2005, 08:33 PM
I think Kristen may have you on that one! ;) lol

audball
04-10-2005, 10:49 PM
Actually, I'm going to send DH to Kristen's house...he will probably drop to his knees in gratitude when he returns ;) (smirk)...

Kristen, you are my idol!!

callalillyanne
04-11-2005, 08:12 AM
I think Kristen is an idol to all of us! ::::Bowing down::::

:) :) :)

nov02mom
04-11-2005, 07:43 PM
hehehe......I think someone on the bags board did use a pic of my stash to show her DH she wasn' that bad!!! Cracked me up when she told me.......