PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Portage Review w/ PICS

callalillyanne
04-11-2005, 09:19 AM
A few weeks ago I got a Manhattan Portage messenger. Here is a review along with some pics!

I got the expandable messenger europa deluxe in camo. It is awesome! It is slightly bigger than a dash with a few less pockets, but completely cool nevertheless. It measures 11x15x4 (9 expanded). It is like the expo in that the bottom zips out to give you lots more space!
I like that there is so much room in this bag, and it does not seem bulky. The cordura it is made out of is really sturdy and water just rolls of of it. (This is the bag I use when I am going out in the rain as opposed to one of my pretty, delicate, bags, i.e. Kecci, PPB).

There are 4 outside pockets and 3 inside pockets. There is a zippered pocket on the front of the flap which I have not figured out what to use for yet (the website says it is for papers you need to have on hand without going into the bag). There is also an open pocket that runs the length of the bag of the bag (this is where I plan to slip in a changing pad). When you open up the flap, there are two pockets that look like the ones on the dash, except they don't velcro shut, they snap. I use these for a couple small toys, my wallet, diaper cream, hand sanitizer, etc. On the inside of the bag there is a center divider (which I love). In the front of the divided pocket I pack an extra outfit, a receiving blanket, burp cloth, and insulated bottle holder. In the back divided pocket I pack about 4-6 size 1 dipes, travel wipes case, and antibacterial wipes (germophobe!). There is also a small zippered pocket attached to the back of the divided pocket for small odds and ends or valuables, which I haven't used yet. With all of this packed there is still plenty of space for an extra sweater for me or whatever else I need! However, this bag never seems big to me. It is lightweight to carry and feels great messenger style. I bought the cell phone holder accessory that attaches to the strap...I really like the accessibility it gives me to just reach over and grab my phone when I need to. The messenger strap is nice and long for tall girls like me, but can be adjusted accordingly.

This is a bag I still feel really cool carrying even though it is not like the super girly ones I usually gravitate towards. I have successfully worn this bag while slinging my daughter and could easily reach in and grab what I needed if we were out shopiping, or whatever. The starp is definitely long enough to hang it from a stroller, if you so desired.

Ummm, let's see, what else is there? Did I mention that I really really like this bag? It's so easy for me to use that I tend to reach for it a lot!

My DH got the Dana's Messenger. It is a bit smaller (even though it says the measurements are bigger, can't remember them at the moment). This bag is very cool also and might work well for your DH. This bag has a main compartment with an interior zippered compartment, and I think it may have a center divider as well (don't quote me on that). It has a zippered pocket on the back (inner) of the flap itself, kind of like the one that is on the front of my bag. The inside is lined with heavy duty PVC-type stuff (which I LOVE) that completely withstands spills, etc. There is a front organizer section inside the flap which has a larger zippered pocket, a smaller zippered pockets, then several open pockets for pens, etc. IMHO, this is a really good "guy bag." If you KWIM. My DH even consented to putting baby gear in his bag (something he doesn't wish to carry!). So, if you ask me, it has to be somewhat of a cool bag, LOL.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

I had trouble attaching the photos without them being huge, so I posted them in an album for everyone to view:

http://photos.yahoo.com/callalillyanne

HTH someone!

priscilla73
04-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Great review! The Manhattan Portage bags seem to have alot more organization than the other Urban messengers out there. I almost bought the smaller Manhattan Portage- DJ bag- for myself the other day, but I bought the Sherpani Milli messenger instead because it was more 'girly'

callalillyanne
04-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Let me know how you like the Sherpani, Priscilla. I have seen that one and think it is very cute! I really like girly, too! :)

gadu
04-19-2005, 08:28 PM
Thank you for this review and all the pics. It sounds like exactly what I am looking for. There is no velco closure, right -- just the clips? Are you still loving it? Is there any padding on the shoulder strap? Did you try one on before you bought it?

Enough questions for you? :)

thank you again.

callalillyanne
04-20-2005, 09:10 PM
It is really my pleasure writing reviews when I can...I know how much I enjoy reading everyone else's reviews!

On to your questions...No, there is no velcro, just the clips. However, I must say that it stays closed very tightly, and when I want to open the bag the clips snap open very easily. There is no padding on the shoulder strap but you can order one on the accessories page of manhattanportage.com. I was not able to try one on before I bought it...but luckily my DH got his first so I was able to gauge that way. However, I believe MP has a 30 day return policy for all bags (as well as a lifetime gauruntee)!

All in all, I am still loving this bag! It is what I would call "masculine chic" as far as the camo pattern goes ;) ...IMHO, the pink is really cute if you want something more girly :) What I said before still holds, I find that this bag is really easy to reach for. The organization is working out really well for me and it is just such an easy bag to like! As an added bonus, I really like wearing this bag while I am slinging DD!

HTH! Let me know if you have anymore questions ;)

gadu
04-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Well, I ordered one to try out...AND the one your husband got... AND 2 different Chrome bags. I had a good discount at ebags and returns shipping is free, so I figured I'd try them all. I love your camo, by the way -- if I hadn't just bought a new sling in a camo print I'd be all over it. I'm not really into girly stuff lately, so I ordered a couple in black, a couple in olive.

My primary concern is its comfort/accessibility while slinging so I'm thrilled to hear it's working out for you. Thank you again!

callalillyanne
04-21-2005, 08:19 PM
No problem- I hope it works out for you! Let me know what you think of the Chrome bags! I have thought about ordering one of those myself (DH was thinking about it too).

Depending on how much space you want, either my DH's bag or the one I have might work really well for you. I will be interested to hear what you think! Camo sling sounds fun! Mine current one is just boring gray :(