PDA

View Full Version : Narrowed my choices down: Skip Hop Duo/Dash or LE Diaper Bag--how should I choose?

babybee1
04-20-2005, 03:04 PM
I think that these bags are most like the freebie bag that I've enjoyed without the downsides it has...any advice on how to choose among them? I'm hoping to check out the Skip Hops IRL but don't know about the LE.
I so love patterned fabrics but I can't decide if it limits the bag's usefulness too much--I like being able to use one bag most of the time....

ckleist
04-21-2005, 09:02 AM
Which LE diaper bag? I had the large tailored tote and ended up returning it because the straps were too short (prefer backpacks or at least over the shoulder bags)and I didn't like the 3 compartments...would have preferred one big area with pockets for kids stuff and a smaller separate compartment for my stuff. The LE backpack is huge and I didn't care for the do it all bag because I didn't like the color choices and wanted something "prettier" at the time.

You might want to check this bag out on LE overstock section, it is $27.50. I just got the lilac color yesterday, haven't had time to pack it up yet, but the 2 cargo pockets under the front flap are pretty big... 4 size 4 diapers fit perfectly in one of the pockets, need to figure out what to do w/ the other pocket. I'm waiting for my camera battery to charge so I can take pics and post a review. The only downside to the bag so far is that the interior is black and there is only the zippered pocket in the main section. But I was thinking about making a removeable liner that velcros inside the bag in a lighter color w/ pockets. I like that the bag gives you 3 different options of carrying it and the backpack style seemed relatively comfortable. The lilac color is a nice color, feminine without being too girly. It is the same color as the convertible duffel in the kids luggage section.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/ov/prod/0,1467,2_17273_17281_53982_122983_101430_,00.html? sid=6101179994160184650&CM_MERCH=PAGE_30909

dules
04-21-2005, 09:15 AM
First, how old is/are your DC/s and how do you want to use the bag? Take an honest look at what you usually have with you (plus what you're always missing but never have room for), lay it out on the table and make a list. Post it here so some of the Baby Bag experts can give you some hints on size etc.

Which LE bag are you looking at? I think LE and Skip Hop are similar in that they are nice, functional bags and very reasonably priced. If you think you might also want a patterned bag check out Kecci Shanghai bags...they are turning up on Overstocks, TJMaxx and Nordstrom's Rack for under $30...so you could get both a functional LE/Skip Hop and a dressy bag for well under $100.

I just got a Skip Hop Dash and I think I love it. I had a Duo and I absolutely hated it so this is a big surprise to me. I love all the pockets on the Dash and the fact that it closes...I was always dumping out the contents of the Duo every time I put it down because of its open top. I was also really unhappy at how tall it was, with its black interior. Definite "black hole" effect for me.

If you can, check out the Skip Hops IRL. LE has a great return policy too, so if you don't like their bag you can just take it back to Sears. I don't think you can go wrong with either type, it's going to be a matter of personal preference.

Another way to go, once you've got your everyday bag and if you still want a pretty one, is to join the Yahoo BabyBags group, where people buy, sell and exchange bags...you can get some great deals there on bags that you otherwise either couldn't afford or had simply never heard of.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Mary

babybee1
04-23-2005, 03:18 PM
I was looking at the 'do-it-all' bag that's $29.50 and has a shoulder strap. I like the tote look --and I like carrying it that way--but I need something with a shoulder strap option since I have it on the stroller a LOT of the time (I'm a city girl and hardly ever drive...)

Thanks for the overstock suggestion--looks good, but I am afraid it may be too big for me--if something is too tall I get stuff lost in it...but I am going to take a closer look. I look forward to your review!!!

Really appreciate all your feedback!!

babybee1
04-23-2005, 03:22 PM
OK, I am going to do what you suggest about dumping it all on the table and post later but I will give you the basic answers right away: my daughter is 18mos. and the other will be born in Sept. (so, I'll have a newborn and a two year old, so double-diaper-duty).

The LE bag was the 'do-it-all" I am definitely interested in the Kecci Shanghai--so cute--and I just noticed the machine washable part! That was a big turn off with the PPB despite their cuteness (well, there was always the price--I WOULD spend that kind of money if I was sure it was worth it, but it's so hard to know in advance...)

I definitely want to check out the Skip Hops IRL, but I'm not sure, b/c my local place only has the Duos and I don't think that's what I want--I'm really glad to hear about your loving the Dash--one thing I've been concerned about w/ the dash is the flap--I love the convenience of the zip top but I much prefer the look of the Dash to the Duo.

Thanks!!!!