PDA

View Full Version : Car Sun shades???

SmallFrysMom
04-23-2005, 06:54 PM
I haven't been able to find anything in Baby Bargains about car sun shades. Which brand(s) do you recommend? I am particularly interested in the "Classic Pooh" shades sold at Target.

TIA!

audball
04-24-2005, 09:26 AM
We used to have some from babytrend, which was sold at babiesrus or toysrus. I'm sure whichever brand you choose will be fine to start out - eventually, I think they start to lose some suction :)...

You probably want to measure your windows to make sure that there is adequate coverage from the sunshade. In the end, we ended up chucking the 2 we got for the rear windows and getting shades that were made for our car from the dealer (the shade itself locks down into the door and retracts there;so you don't have this shade thing whacking back and forth). It is very important that whatever brand you choose, you are sure that the shade is on securely - in an accident it's a potential projectile if not properly secured.

Another place that has shades are Onestepahead.com.

masetane
04-24-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm interested in hearing about this thread because I have been told numerous times by child proofers and police officers (when I go to get the seat installed/checked) that they are dangerous to put in cars. (Can go flying if in accident). So it leaves me wondering what you should use or why they are for sale in the first place.

Once I saw a dark film that you attatch to the window with water and that makes sense but I can't recall where I found it. I did have one of those roller ones but my toddler could reach it and pull off. Now my car has tinted windows anyway.

Caroline
http://fool.exler.ru/sm/ma.gif
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Birthdaycakeideas/

MarisaSF
04-24-2005, 11:15 PM
I have had no luck with suction cup anything and am now planning to get our windows tinted.
As PPs noted, the rollershades are not recommended because they are heavy and can hurt passengers if they fly off.

There are some non-roller shades that are recommend... search in the carseat forum for great help!

JodiM
04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
I got a great one from Protect-a-bub that actually fits on the car seat, kind of like the canopy from a newborn car seat... it's great.

My little guy HATES having the sun in his eyes, and it will wake him up from a deep sleep (hence, screaming baby) and we have done sooooo much better since installing these.

mominjune
04-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Thanks Jodi- I'm not the OP, but wanted to say this is exactly what I need! I was going to try the the dark film you can put on the rear window which I did see at the Right Start store, but this would be better.

We live in Seattle (hence generally little sun) but when it does come out and gets DD in the eyes, she acts like it's the evil and turns and squints and yells if we don't shade her immediately. ;)

ETA: I don't see the dark film for the car on the Rightstart website, but I'm pretty sure I saw it in the store... of course I've got poor short term memory these days...

JTsMom
04-25-2005, 08:07 AM
I had the same problem. The CST told us not to use the roller shades either, but that the clingy ones were fine. I FINALLY found some at BRU. They are made by Fisher Price, and have some cute little design. Not Pooh, but at least they are something interesting for baby to look at. :) I think they were about $15 for a 2 pack. Also, they change from light to dark, depending on the light outside.