PDA

View Full Version : To carry sling in diaper bag

littledreambox
04-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi everyone,
I am new here. I am looking to get another diaper bag (I have been using the one Step ahead expandable diaper bag for 10 months) and I want something chic.
I have been reading the board and I think the Skip Hop Expo sounds really neat. I am wondering if I could put a sling (e.g. a meitai or a hotsling) in it, along with the following typical items:
1) 4 diapers
2) a change of clothes
3) wipes
4) bottle/sippy cup
5) a waterbottle for me
6) snacks and/or baby jar food
7) purse/keys/phone

Do you have a picture of the inside of the Skip Hop expo?

If not skip hop expo, what would you ladies recommend? I need something that I could carry easily if I should sling my baby.

Thanks so much.

Charlene

MeredithsMom
04-28-2005, 08:20 AM
I do not have the Expo, but I did have the Duo and I presently have the Dash, along with an LL Bean bag and Kecci Shanghai. I CAN tell you that I can keep my sling (I have a New Native and a Hotsling with padded rail) in the LL Bean, and I was also able to fit it easily in my Duo. The key was that each bag (not sure if the Expo has this), had a stretchy mesh bottle holder on one side of the bag. For my recent trip to Disney, I just kept the sling rolled up and stuffed in this side pocket. That way it didn't take up space inside the bag and it was easy to pull out. Another thing I've done with Hotsings is fold it up and slide it next to wherever the changing pad is.

HTH, even though I don't have the Expo.

littledreambox
04-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Hi MeredithsMom,
Thanks for replying. It is great to know that the Duo could fit all the sling. I do like the DUO (a lot of cool colors) but my only concern is the 3inch width as opposed to the 7 inches in EXPO. What do you put in your DUO? So, could you get a lot in there?

dules
04-28-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I have the Dash and I'd say you could put all of these things, except maybe your water bottle (if you want it in easy reach).

I'd also recommend the Kecci, it's so pretty and you can find them very inexpensively right now.

I just got a hotsling and I think it will fit nicely in the back pocket of both the Dash and Kecci, where the changing pad is on the Dash and where the backpack straps are on the Kecci.

I carry all of the things you listed above, and my only problem currently is that water bottle on the Dash.

I have found that if you put the change of clothes in a cosmetics bag, it packs more neatly. Gets important as the clothes and diapers get bigger, lol!

Hope this helps!

Best,
Mary

P.S. I found the Duo too tall and narrow for my needs personally. I'm not organized enough to deal with everything stacked on top of itself in a tall, narrow bag. That's why I got the Dash and sold my Duo. But lots of people do love them.

lmariana
04-28-2005, 10:35 AM
I have a Hotsling with a padded leg rail, and I think you can easily fit all your normal stuff in the Duo, Dash, or Expo and still have room to spare. One thing about the Expo...although it does unzip to 7" deep, it doesn't have any bottle holders on the inside or side of the bag. It does have the two front pockets (one open and one covered) that you can fit a water bottle in though.

The Dash is very pocket-heavy and has about 4 bottle holders (2 inside and 2 outside). Very handy. I find it's depth the perfect size for keeping everything organized and accessible.

You can roll up you Hotsling in and place it in the exterior bottle pockets, or fold it up and place it with the changing pad. Either way, it's on the outside of the bag and easily accessible.

I recently took our Dash to Disney, and was able to hold:
Digital Video Camera
(6) Size 4 diapers
Wipes case
Clutch with baby stuff (sunscreen, teething tablets, raisins, crayons, etc)
Digital camera (front pocket)
Baby sweater
Snack Trap
(2) Bibs
Sunglasses
All my Mommy Stuff in the zippered pocket (lip glosses, powders, eye drops, hand creme, etc)
Wallet (front pocket)
Cell phone (side bottle pocket)
20 oz bottle of water (side bottle pocket)
Sippy cup (inside bottle pocket)
Empty Playtex Nurser Bottle (other inside bottle pocket)

...and I still had space to spare. One recommendation I would make is...if you plan on carrying the fully-packed bag for more than 5-10 minutes, I'd buy a strap pad for your comfort. Timbuk2 makes a great one (www.timbuk2.com).

Hope this helps! If you'd like more info, I can gladly pack up both the Dash and Expo with this stuff and take some photos for ya. Let me know!

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051024/0/21/1/-5/.png

littledreambox
04-28-2005, 08:17 PM
Hi Mariana,

Oh, you are so sweet. Yeah, if it is not too much of a trouble, could you kindly send me pictures? That would really help.
I do like the dash but I read on the board about the velcro problem on the Dash and also is it difficult to get things with a flap bag when I have my baby in my sling?
Thank you ladies.

Charlene

lmariana
04-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Charlene, I'll get those photos taken tonight, and post them in the morning. :) I have the Dash and use it quite often, and honestly, the velcro really doesn't bug me. It's just a personal preference thing.

As far as ease of use between bags...I think a flap can be a little harder to work around, but it mostly depends on the bag itself.

For example, the Loom Marsupial has a flap, but it is the EASIEST to use when you have one hand and no eyes available. The magnet closure is awesome, huge bottle pockets, and just a super design overall. In my opinion, it's the easiest messenger bag to use, and I've tried A LOT.

On the other hand, most bags without a flap are totes or the Skip Hop Duo/Expo. It's really handy to not have to undo a flap, and I really like that ease. My favorite tote is the Dobre Goods Bambino (www.dobregoods.com). It's light, water resistant, large opening, great depth, lots of pockets, nice strap length, just really spacious overall. I keep it unzipped a lot and just throw things in as a go throughout the day. To me, the biggest drawback of a tote is that it's hard to hang off a stroller. Most of my strollers have a single handlebar though, and not umbrella handles. Another personal preference thing. :)

The Skip Hop Duo and Expo have no flap, just a small velcro strip to keep thing in. Really great ease of use, especially on the stroller. Some people have complaints of the bags not standing well alone or the contents spilling out. Neither have bothered me, but I thought it's worth a mention.

Mariana
Owner of HappyDayBaby
Mother of Gabriel, 08/2003
www.heinzandmariana.com (personal site)

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030814/1/5/0/-5/.png

http://lilypie.com/days/051024/0/21/1/-5/.png