PDA

View Full Version : For a Fun, Vinyl Tote - Which do you prefer: Chester or new Fleurville Sling Tote?

suzhatch1
04-30-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm loving the new Fleurville Sling Tote in the blue floral, but the price is kinda driving me nuts ($130). I've found some of the Chester totes are on sale now for $80 & many of them seem fairly similiar.

I'm wondering which would be better? I'm a big fan of bottle holders, so I'm thinking the Fleurville. Plus it has the stroller attachment, but for an extra $50 is the ST worth it? If it was your ONLY diaper bag, would you be happy?

smbirth
05-01-2005, 06:33 AM
I am lusting after a sling tote myself, but the price is the only bothersome factor----

The Chester tote looks nice and I have heard great things about them as well, I am considering one of those as well.

According to the posts on the Babybags yahoo group message board, there is a discount code of CH0305 for 20% off Chester items, including sale items, on www.chesterhandbags.com. My understanding is this code is good through the end of May.

Maybe this will sway your decision, if you used the discount code on a sale bag, you could easily get two Chester totes for the price of a ST.

However ,the ST is still calling my name!!

Hope this helps!
Sheri
Momma to Nathaniel 9-15-04

dules
05-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I don't know about the Fleurville but I think you can't go wrong with a Chester. Plus, there are often discount codes to be had...check the Baby Bags group.

I love my Chester!

Best,
Mary

SAHMommie
05-08-2005, 09:29 PM
I am looking at those two bags myself. Do you know where I can see the interior of the chester bags? So they dont have a bottle holder? They have a couple pockets right? Do they just not have the elastic to hold the bottle in better? Looks like the sling tote has much better storage pockets.

I want a medium sized bag that has the vinyl coating. The new F Sling tote looks like the bottom of the bag is not coated. That is the main part I would worry about getting dirty. Still trying to decide myself.

SAHMommie

carolshi
05-08-2005, 09:41 PM
If you are referring to the tote (not the classic diaper bag), there are two half-elasticized bottle pockets on the outside of the bag (you'd have to see it to totally understand what I mean by half elasticized -- the pocket wall against the bag has elastic and the outer pocket wall doesn't), as well as two bottle pockets (fully elasticized) on the inside of the bag. They are a great size for bottles or sippies. None of them are insulated, however. There are also 4 (? I think) other pockets. Lots of storage space, and I am a heavy packer. I have not seen the sling tote in real life so I can't comment on it, but I do love my Chester!

HTH!

Carol

suzhatch1
05-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Well, I was debating getting a Chester, but I just looked at them online again and it looks like the shoulder strap is completely sewn directly to the bag itself (both on the Tote & the Diaper Bag version). I was hoping it would be attached with a D-ring or Messenger style clip, so that I could use a carabiner or stroller hook to attach it to my stroller. But it looks like there isn't anything there (other than just slinging the straps over the handlebars - which in most cases, tends to droop too low for my liking. That is, if the straps are wide enough at all to even fit over the handlebars.

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 06:24 AM
I have the ST in Floral Sky....I am so impressed with this bag, that, as I heard someone else around here say, it is definitely my "it" bag for the moment! I loooove the organization, it is the perfect size, hangs off the stroller beautifully. I know it is a bit of a price hike, but IMHO the Fleurville is worth it! If it was indeed my only bag, I think I would be happy! And that's saying A LOT! Of course, a girl needs variety, but, you know what I mean ;)

On the other hand, I have owned a Chester diaper tote (not the classic). It is a very cute bag, and holds a ton for the size! The organization is also good, the tote 5 pockets on the inside, including 2 bottle holders (not insulated). Then it has the two side bottle/mommy pockets on the sides of the exterior (I agree with the half-elasticized title that a pp gave them ;) ). The bag is also light as a feather! And well made. Plus, Chester has stellar customer service! And for the sale price, it is a great deal, can't really lose! However, the straps on the tote are not long enough to hang over a stroller, and I have heard that the classic straps are not that much longer. There is the Chester messenger which might work for this purpose, but I don't know much about that one.

So, to sum it up, the Chester is a great bag, but I would still go with the sling tote. The quality on both is excellent IMO, but the ST has an edge, and the versatility of being a tote, messenger, or stroller bag, which I love. I took my ST out the other day and used it first tote style, then on the stroller, then messenger! So I really do use all of the features....and you can't beat the pockets. I love the Floral Sky pattern too!

Well, did I write enough for you? :) I HTH somewhat!! If you have any more questions I would be happy to answer them :)

suzhatch1
05-09-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Anne - Thanks for your input! Your review along with the pics taken by someone else this morning on the board, are really making me consider the ST (maybe I can justify the $130 by saying it will be my ONLY bag! Yeah, right, next to the 5 other ones I've collected already & DD isn't due for another 4 weeks! ~ LOL! :))

I am drooling over the Blue Floral Sky bag too, but was wondering if you (or anyone) had a chance to see the Blue Floral & the Gold Floral IRL? I'm wondering if the Gold would be more versatile & lend itself to having a life after a diaper bag? (The colors seem more muted, like a golden, beige, almost Asian print). The Blue Sky seems so Spring/Summery, but wondering if it will soon start looking a bit too "babyish". Ohhhhh...decisions, decisions!!

heidi_timms
05-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I have seen the ST and I agree it's well-made and truly gorgeous! It has lots of pockets inside and great organization!
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 08:10 PM
I have the Floral Sky and I don't think it looks too babyish :) However, I do know what you mean about the Gold Flower, though. I haven't seen it IRL, but it almost looks kind of vintage to me. In that sense, it does remind me more of a handbag...I really like this color as well, and if I were to buy another one, that is the one I would get! The prints are really pretty and unique, something you can't find on a lot of diaper bags, KWIM?

Well, I may not have helped you any! I would go for the one that "speaks" to you, and not worry too much about the rest ;)

HTH!

SAHMommie
05-09-2005, 08:19 PM
Where do you put the code on Chester's site? I am thinking about getting the backpack. Does anyone have that style?

Thanks

suzhatch1
05-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Hi Anne - What color is the interior lining of your ST? And from the pics I've seen it looks like there is an exterior pocket in the front (for cell phone, sunglasses, etc), but is there also an exterior pocket in the back?

Thanks!
Suz

callalillyanne
05-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Hi Suz, the interior of my sling tote is black. *However*, I don't think that the black hole effect applies in this case, because there are so many pockets for everything, there is no place for things to "hide"! ;)

There is an exterior pocket in the front with fleece-lined pockets for sunglasses, cell phone, etc. There is also an exterior pocket in the back which houses the changing pad and the stroller clips. Also, as you probably already know, the tote straps fold down into the exterior pockets so they are hidden when not in use. The exterior pockets have a snap closure.

I HTH! Let me know if you have anymore questions! :)

tigalig
05-09-2005, 09:36 PM
I am waiting for the ST so perhaps I'm biased, but I wanted to mention that the Gold Floral (a/k/a Spring Blossom on some sites) definitely has an Asian print feel to it. . . that's why I'm getting it. :) Unfortunately, they appear to be hot, hot, hot, and I will not be getting mine for a couple of more weeks. :( If you're still looking then, I'd be happy to post a review and/or pics.