PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need a SMALLER diaper bag, why are they all huge?

adelynsmom
05-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Ok guys, I need help here! I am the mom of one very active but non-potty trained toddler who doesn't really use the stroller much anymore. So, I need a diaper bag that I carry with me and also serve as a purse. I don't want a big one as we don't need that much stuff. I'd prefer either backpack style or messenger style as I'd like to to be able to run after my toddler if need be and not have my bag flailing around :)

I really like the cute silk looking ones, like PPB or Kecci but they seem so big. I haven't seen them in person, are they as big as they seem online? I like the design of the messenger/backback convertible.

This is all I'll need to carry:
2-3 diapers, wipes
sippy cup
snacks
couple light items, like disposable bibs, sunscreen, etc.
wallet
keys
cell phone
small planner

Can someone suggest something to me? I'd like it to be fashionable, but also functional.

mommato2boys
05-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Funny, I have the opposite problem..none are big enough!!!! Look very closely at the measurments on the internet...pictures often look larger than they are. For example, I have the diaper dude....the measurements (the just give a l X W Not Deep too which does make a difference) are big, but it really doesn't hold that much...I have mine PACKED...really it is over packed. I would qualify this bag as a smaller bag. Big or little really does depend on the user.

callalillyanne
05-07-2005, 12:34 PM
One bag that comes immediately to mind is the Ellington Small In Flight tote. It has lots of organization, but is a nice purse/smaller bag size. I believe there is a post here with pics...and with the 30% off promotion going on right now, you really can't beat the price!

HTH!

Twin Mom
05-07-2005, 02:52 PM
What about a Timbuk2 metro mini? A lot of ladies use it as a small diaper bag. I've even used mine as a purse.

audball
05-07-2005, 04:58 PM
It's funny because "fashionable" to some means different things to others :). I remember when only a designer bag would do; now I think even paper bags would get me through the day sometimes!

For a small bag, I would look at:
1. One Cool Chick small messenger (she may not have her small messengers one her site yet, but you can contact her). Gorgeous, silk fabrics and Caroline is so nice! www.onecoolchick.com
2. Bumble Bags, Nicole Style (smaller than the Jessica). Available still at www.tangerinetots.com Convertible backpack/messenger.
3. Timi & Leslie Small Bebe (this is a tote style). Very cute fabrics with vinyl laminate
4. Fleurville Alpha 7 (being discontinued). Also a convertible. I never thought this was huge, but it may be bigger than what you would like.
5. Chelsey Henry bags. They make purses and bags for all amounts of stuff.
6. 1154 Lill Design your own bags/purses.
7. Holly Aiken (totes and messengers, and I think she makes smaller messengers). www.hollyaiken.com

I would also put in a plug for the Ellington Small In-Flight. I took pics of it and posted it here somewhere. I have a small bamboo (yellow) and it holds just enough, certainly it would hold what you have. But it is SO organized. Little pockets for everything and you just cannot beat the price with the sale!

MamaKath
05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
"Can someone suggest something to me? I'd like it to be fashionable, but also functional."

Lol! As the mom of a hopefully soon toilet trained toddler I had to laugh at this. I am in a similar boat these days. I either carry very little or more than I can fit in any normal bag. And fashionable, affordable and functional never seem to all fall into the same bag. Since you already heard some of the fashionable I'll hit the more affordable and functional.

*The JJCole Essentials Sling bag- not expensive, not super high quality but pretty decent
*The Lands End Little Tripper- Add a monogram and you have fashionabl too. ;-)
*LLBean's Ameribags (or other Ameribags)- great coloers (LL Bean ones), super organization and a variety of sizes from extra small to extra large depending on what you are carrying
*Ellingtons Small Inflight tote- great with pockets!
*A Vera Bradley Carryall bag- again awesome organbization

Enjoy your search. :-)

emmiem
05-07-2005, 08:45 PM
I carry about the same as you. I like my Kate Spade messenger or Kate Spade Fred Backpack. I also like the Petunia Picklebottom toddler tote (but only the non pom pom ones). My Bumble bag is nice but too big now as is my Kecci.
Michele

Mikesa3
05-07-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm looking for the same thing. I think the diaper bag companies could make big bucks if they made a smaller size bag too.I'd love a smaller Loom sling tote thats about 2 inches shorter and narrower then the one now..I've been looking at The Ellington small in flight but it's a tote.:( The only other is the One Cool Chick small mentioned here that sounds like it might work for you since it's silk fabric but I'm not into those. I think we all need to email the companies to get them to make a toddler size bag with lots of pockets that's pretty without being delicate.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

adelynsmom
05-07-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I looked at the Fleurville sling tote today at Nordi's and that seems like a good size without being monsterous. I'm also looking at the Timi & Leslie messenger. I haven't seen it in person, but the dimensions say 12x12. That seems like a good size, but not sure why they call it a "large" bag when that seems more medium sized to me. Does anyone have pictures of someone holding this bag? I also looked at the PPB backpacks but they are quite large. What I'm not looking for are the really "rugged" looking ones like the Lands End ones, or the Skip Hops. I also am not too fond of the Ellington in-flight style, seems kinda "mature" to me. I'm still a young mama! :)

I'm still on the search! I agree with the PP, these companies need to come out with the smaller toddler totes. I wanted to see the PPB toddler tote in person, but they didn't have any. I'm also not fond of the pom poms on most of them though. But I also don't really want a tote, I want either a messenger or backpack.

So, keep the suggestions coming! :) I'm going to email "one cool chick bags" to see if she'll send me pics/dimensions of the smaller messenger as well.

nd93
05-07-2005, 10:56 PM
I could not agree with you more! I would love something like the Little Tripper, only cuter. I've been searching for a while now and am about to give up!

callalillyanne
05-08-2005, 06:47 AM
Just a quick note- I have an Un Apres Midi de Chien bag called Weekend. It is about the size of a little tripper, I think; the dimensions are about 10" H x 13" L (not sure about the depth). It is very fashionable, IMHO :) You can see it at www.bagshop.com.

Oh, and one other thing ;) I have seen the PPB toddler tote in person and it is extremely cute, but appears wayyy smaller than the pics online! Again, JMHO :) I have a 4 and 1/2 mo. old, and still packing a ton, so I'm not quite at the toddler tote stage anyway! LOL :)

HTH!

AbbieF
05-08-2005, 07:50 AM
I second the vote for a One Cool Chick small bag! I'm generally a heavy packer and when I ordered one small and one large I thought what am I ever going to do w/ the small one? It's been great for those quick trips that now seem to happen even more with dd being so mobile. I think I had Caroline add a bottle holder ( I don't think the small came with one) and its perfect not to mention looks just like a purse. What I really like is the strap is wide so it doesn't slide around and its comfortable wearing it messenger style. I have a large in-flight tote, so the extra weight could be the problem but the strap is really pretty uncomfortable since its so narrow it feels like it cuts into my shoulder.

Abbie
Mom to Maddie 4/04

Laela
05-08-2005, 10:25 AM
For my quick outings, I use my Ella Caroline purse. I got it made with 3 extra elasticized pockets and I can fit my quick baby needs & my stuff and not have it be cramped! Plus when you don't need a baby bag anymore, you can go back to using it as a purse! It's very cute & small and Ella Bags has a 40% off code right now.

mcdonald29
05-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Where can the PPB toddler totes, w/o pom poms, be found or seen online?

Sounds like many of us are on a similar quest!